SPFL Trust Trophy (aka Challenge Cup)

On 06/08/2021 at 13:20, stanley said:

About time to remove the B teams entirely from the cup.

Aye, but... the kids in the B teams almost all hold the view that playing v. seasoned professionals or semi-pros is of huge benefit to their development. Exactly the same reaction from young players in England if a Football League side fields its youth team in a county cup or some other Mickey Mouse tournament and comes up against a decent semi-pro side.

On 27/07/2021 at 15:37, mrman2011 said:

Neil Doncaster has good vision and this competition.

I've been saying since the foreign sides were invited in that this was Doncaster testing UEFA & English FA waters for a request that the two Scottish League Cup finalists be allowed to play in the English version... after a season where the Scottish League Cup final was contested by you know who. There was something approaching evidence for my theory this year. Of course, the path taken if the Gruesome Twosome were allowed a toe in English competition might lead to any number of destinations... which is why I favour the other Home Nations participating.

I'll give it another (non-Covid) season before slagging off Doncaster and the Challenge Cup.

3 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:
46 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:
Pleasing to note that no B team is ahead, three are losing the other two at 0-0.

Ten men Dons just gone one up

Spoiling to date, what could still be an ideal evening for the senior teams, St Mirren nursery have just gone 1-0 down.