SPFL Trust Trophy (aka Challenge Cup)

Surely if they must persist with this competition, it makes far more sense just to invite the winners of the Highland and Lowland Leagues (and/or the team relegated from L2, if it happened) to make a 32-team tournament, straight knock-out over 5 rounds?

8 hours ago, The Master said:

Surely if they must persist with this competition, it makes far more sense just to invite the winners of the Highland and Lowland Leagues (and/or the team relegated from L2, if it happened) to make a 32-team tournament, straight knock-out over 5 rounds?

Get out,  this is no place for sensible ideas like yours. 

I liked the foreign teams to be honest. It was always good fun pointing out to some LOI supporter on Twitter that they got pumped by Cove Rangers or whoever whenever they were having a meltdown about us signing one of their players. 

4 hours ago, calmac25 said:

Any idea how the 1st round will be regionalised?

Wondering if the lowland sides could end up in the North section?

My recollection is SPFL seed, then halve pots into regions, not other way round; and they usually kept 'B'-teams apart in the past (to maximise their chance of progressing?).

So by my reckoning:

First Round

North (SPFL) ... Brechin City, Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Elgin City, Forfar Athletic, Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion
North (HL)
... Brora Rangers
v
North (HL) ... Buckie Thistle, Formartine United, Fraserburgh
North 'B' teams ... Aberdeen 'B', Dundee United B', Heart of Midlothian B', Ross County B', St Johnstone B', Dundee B'/Hibernian B'

South (SPFL) ... Albion Rovers, Annan Athletic, Clyde, Dumbarton, Edinburgh City, Falkirk, Queen's Park, Stranraer
South (LL)
... Kelty Hearts
v
South (LL) ... Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, BSC Glasgow, East Kilbride
South 'B' teams ... Celtic B', Livingston B', Motherwell B', Rangers B', St Mirren B', Hibernian B'/Kilmarnock B'

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

My recollection is SPFL seed, then halve pots into regions, not other way round; and they usually kept 'B'-teams apart in the past (to maximise their chance of progressing?).

So by my reckoning:

First Round

North (SPFL) ... Brechin City, Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Elgin City, Forfar Athletic, Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion
North (HL)
... Brora Rangers
v
North 'B' teams ... Aberdeen 'B', Dundee United B', Heart of Midlothian B', Ross County B', St Johnstone B', Dundee B'/Hibernian B'

South (SPFL) ... Albion Rovers, Annan Athletic, Clyde, Dumbarton, Edinburgh City, Falkirk, Queen's Park, Stranraer
South (LL)
... Kelty Hearts
v
South 'B' teams ... Celtic B', Livingston B', Motherwell B', Rangers B', St Mirren B', Hibernian B'/Kilmarnock B'

Kelty north of cowdenbeath surely?

So by my reckoning:

First Round

North (HL) ... Brora Rangers
v

South (LL) ... Kelty Hearts
v

And are Hibs B not further north than Hearts B?

On 23/05/2021 at 14:15, parsforlife said:

Kelty north of cowdenbeath surely?

Don't they seed by last season, invitees seeded separately?

8 minutes ago, Clayhole Blue said:

And are Hibs not further north than Hearts?

Do they go by actual stadium, or venue 'B'-team uses?

e.g. Hibs 'B used Spartans... Hearts 'B' used Linlithgow... tbf Motherwell 'B' + Rangers 'B' used Stirling!

We have been fortunate in regards to Colt/B teams in that we have avoided them so far. I said right from their introduction they should never have been allowed in as it was the start of the Old Firm getting a foothold into the league system. Would normally never miss a match home or away nut if a Colt/B team is involved i will not be going. 

I'll go one better, won't be attending any games in this competition. The chance of a wee 'foreign' trip was the only thing keeping any interest in this going for me. Colts in but English/Irish/Welsh teams out is a farce.

A real opportunity for Killie to become just the fourth club to do the Scottish football grand slam of League Champions, Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup. Only Dundee, Dundee United and Rangers have managed it.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A real opportunity for Killie to become just the third club to do the Scottish football grand slam of League Champions, Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup. Only Dundee and Rangers have managed it.

It’s good to have a dream.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A real opportunity for Killie to become just the third club to do the Scottish football grand slam of League Champions, Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup. Only Dundee and Rangers have managed it.

And United. Could you make it #TB4?

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A real opportunity for Killie to become just the fourth club to do the Scottish football grand slam of League Champions, Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup. Only Dundee, Dundee United and Rangers have managed it.

Oddly enough you reached B Division Cup Final (an earlier equivalent) in 1949-50 against Forfar but it wasn't played.

Instead of being declared joint champions like Inverness & Raith it was simply abandoned.

Oddly enough you reached B Division Cup Final (an earlier equivalent) in 1949-50 against Forfar but it wasn't played.

Instead of being declared joint champions like Inverness & Raith it was simply abandoned.
I'm declaring us co-champions which means for are reigning B Division Cup holders as well as Forfarshire Cup holders. How's that for a cup double St Johnstone?

Speaking of which, Saints should have pushed for the Forfarshire Cup to be played so they could have won a treble this year

6 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I'm declaring us co-champions which means for are reigning B Division Cup holders as well as Forfarshire Cup holders. How's that for a cup double St Johnstone?

Clyde are defending B Division Cup champions, unfortunately. Last held in 1951-52.

Dumbarton for St Mungo Quaich which subbed-in during 1951; and Airdrie for abortive Spring Cup of 1975-76.

I like this tournament, I understand the backlash against ‘B’ teams but Motherwell always took it seriously and had some good victories and good crowds.  I don’t think we have a group of players established at the club that would be defined as our ‘B’ squad so it will all be very new.