Scotland v Czech

GW34

As a Saints and Scotland fan this season has been incredible with all the really big key moment going for us.  Confidence was increased yesterday when driving home an English fan asked for The Three Lions on radio 1.  When asked about Scotland he replied “who cares about them”  The DJ’s did however and did a roulette between the three nations …Scotland won, ‘yes sir I can boogie’ came on  to the disgust of the listener and I played it full volume with feeling we had just won a game.  Big moments!!!

4 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

the 2014 game with the Maloney goal? That was a great atmosphere - booing "Scots" in the opposition at International games is many things but I would not say it is poisonous, Unless you think they were getting boo'ed on the grounds of religion (which I would say is utter nonsense) and not simply because they elected to play for another country other than Scotland? Whatever the reason McGeady and/or McCarthy chose to play for Ireland is perfectly reasonable in my view; it is also perfectly reasonable to boo them at such meetings. 

Just curious and not trying to be argumentative or anything - would you say it's ok for England fans to boo Che Adams and Scott McTominay when we play them? Does it only apply to players who are good enough to get in your team?

I think some of the booing of McCarthy and McGeady was probably questionably motivated, but that's just a guess and I couldn't speculate on how much.

I remember when Scotland played Ireland in Dublin once, the Irish fans booed Barry Ferguson. That pissed me off. It's obviously an anti-Rangers thing rather than religious, but it makes no difference, they shouldn't be bringing that crap into international football.

Is there any way a lack of crowd might help us on Monday? The players are going to be hyped TF as it is, might it have been harder to keep their composure and discipline in a heaving, raucous Hampden? It would have been fever pitch from before kick-off.

20 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Is there any way a lack of crowd might help us on Monday? The players are going to be hyped TF as it is, might it have been harder to keep their composure and discipline in a heaving, raucous Hampden? It would have been fever pitch from before kick-off.

I think having less fans in the ground will be a bit of a hindrance to us to be fair. It mitigates the home advantage somewhat and I believe that having less/no fans is a bit of a leveller and teams more reliant on having a roaring atmosphere suffer. It limits one of footballs off the pitch influences and means the actual quality of the teams carries more weight. Sadly for us, we are one of the squads with less quality than others.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I think having less fans in the ground will be a bit of a hindrance to us to be fair. It mitigates the home advantage somewhat and I believe that having less/no fans is a bit of a leveller and teams more reliant on having a roaring atmosphere suffer. It limits one of footballs off the pitch influences and means the actual quality of the teams carries more weight. Sadly for us, we are one of the squads with less quality than others.

You could have let me down gently.

Surprisingly hard to predict who he'll play up front.

There's a myth that Clarke is defensive, but really what he is is structured. In his full season at Killie they won half their league games, only drew one more than Rangers, scored 50 and had a goal difference of +19. They didn't play for draws against the OF, they went out to beat them.

It's obvious that the Czech game is our best chance of a win, and if we don't win it we're under pressure. We're likely to lose at Wembley so we could be in the position of having to beat Croatia. If he decides to attack the Czechs, might he go with both Dykes and Adams and get stuck right in? He's the first Scotland manager in a long time to play two forwards and he may pick actual forwards for the positions. Obviously Christie is a good finisher, but Adams ought to be better.

Against England I think he'll prefer the physicality of Dykes and his proven ability to hold the ball up, win fouls and get us up the park. He's probably a better option against strong opponents than Adams because of his ability to do something on his own. You'd image it would be Christie alongside him as that worked very well in Belgrade.

In the last game it'll probably depend on what we need. 

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Just curious and not trying to be argumentative or anything - would you say it's ok for England fans to boo Che Adams and Scott McTominay when we play them? Does it only apply to players who are good enough to get in your team?

I think some of the booing of McCarthy and McGeady was probably questionably motivated, but that's just a guess and I couldn't speculate on how much.

I remember when Scotland played Ireland in Dublin once, the Irish fans booed Barry Ferguson. That pissed me off. It's obviously an anti-Rangers thing rather than religious, but it makes no difference, they shouldn't be bringing that crap into international football.

If the English fans wished to boo say Morrison or MCall or latter day players that is up to them. I would say that they probably wouldn't be feeling that sore over losing the likes of Paul Devlin or Quashie to us whereas both McGeady and McCarthy were sore ones for us - hence perhaps the animosity. In my book boo'ing opposition players is perfectly reasonable as long as it is not on racist, religious, sexual orientation or anything like that which some knuckle draggers will of course resort to.....

12 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

If the English fans wished to boo say Morrison or MCall or latter day players that is up to them. I would say that they probably wouldn't be feeling that sore over losing the likes of Paul Devlin or Quashie to us whereas both McGeady and McCarthy were sore ones for us - hence perhaps the animosity. In my book boo'ing opposition players is perfectly reasonable as long as it is not on racist, religious, sexual orientation or anything like that which some knuckle draggers will of course resort to.....

Fair enough. Ray Houghton choosing Ireland was the sorest one for me, he was a Castlemilk boy and he should have been playing for us. I don't think I'd have booed him though, there's something about booing people on an issue of identity that feels ikky, even if I don't like their choices.

I'd boo Jan Rezek or Ioan Ganea though, among many others. Not just on a football pitch, I'd boo them if I saw them in the street. 

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

12,000 fans will sound like a full Hampden after playing in empty stadiums all season. It's still going to be bouncing and I can't wait

22 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Feel a point here would be like the Israel/Austria games. Not the end of the world by any means but leaving with us an awful lot to do

I'd say it's exactly the same from the Czech's point of view, they must see us as their best chance of 3 points.  

1 minute ago, Slenderman said:

I'm kinda shiting it a bit more about this than the England game.

I'm getting quite excited about us in this tournament but it's all a bit too upbeat for my pessimistic mind lol

This Czech game could EASILY go any way, I mean we only beat their 3rd team 1-0. 

On Monday the performance means nothing, it's all about winning the 3 points by whatever means possible.

2 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I'm getting quite excited about us in this tournament but it's all a bit too upbeat for my pessimistic mind lol

This Czech game could EASILY go any way, I mean we only beat their 3rd team 1-0. 

On Monday the performance means nothing, it's all about winning the 3 points by whatever means possible.

What about hacking into that wee car & blow up the Czechs?

53 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

We beat their third team 2-1. We beat their first team 1-0.

We’ve improved significantly since both games. I’m not convinced the Czechs have. They were dire against Italy last week.

There’s one thing struggling against great teams like Italy, and there’s another thing in imploding completely.

I’m hoping they underestimate us and start slowly. Player-for-player they are far below England and Croatia, and nowhere near their teams of old. 

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm