Scotland v Czech

GW34

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's down to team defending. 

I've shown you there are definite errors from Robertson and Dykes and Christie is posted missing. SOD is the guy exposed by this but it could happen just as easily that. leaves his man and he scores. 

But its also easily preventable is SOD reacted appropriately. He didn't, so he cost us the goal. He could have prevented it, not by doing anything amazing, and didn't. All it required was a simple wee ten yard sprint.

I think he does what most players would do. Initially sprint then slow down so you don't get skinned and also keep your hands down. 

You are right in saying if he goes a second earlier we have a far better chance of not conceding but that's down to the full defence not being quick enough to adjust after being in their corner set up. I've not seen it commented on but that defence had never played together as a unit before and I don't think Hanley and Cooper had started together previously. Starting a major tournament with completely new partnerships is always going to cause problems in technical moments like that.

It was the third time in a row within the space of about a minute where an overhit cross left them with a 2 v 1 on the far side. On each occasion the nearest Scotland defender inside the box was unsure about whether to get across and help because they had their own man who they were marking. Someone somewhere in the box must have been free to get across and help. There was definitely something not right about our setup there.

43 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was the third time in a row within the space of about a minute where an overhit cross left them with a 2 v 1 on the far side. On each occasion the nearest Scotland defender inside the box was unsure about whether to get across and help because they had their own man who they were marking. Someone somewhere in the box must have been free to get across and help. There was definitely something not right about our setup there.

Armstrong was not getting back to help Robertson on the left which was leaving us stretched.

4 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

The only thing worse than a shite Scotland performance is reading folk posting trite pish on social media afterwards about us being the best fans in the world because we still party after a loss - usually accompanied by a video of folk singing or dancing on tables. Appreciate that it’s behaviour ingrained after years of disappointment in a you laugh or you cry sort of way, but can’t help feeling we might be in a better place if as a support we didn’t accept/celebrate mediocrity quite so much. 

Don't forget grown adults with see you Jimmy hats. Cringeworthy beyond belief. 

It's like a clown show at the North Pier.

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Don't forget grown adults with see you Jimmy hats. Cringeworthy beyond belief. 

It's like a clown show at the North Pier.

Could be worse, they could be dressed as sir lancealot or an RAF pilot

09F6BF1E000005DC-3628876-The_outfits_hav

Boys about 50, should know better.

Edited by red23

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Are you genuinely suggesting that if the fans booed a bit more over the years, or didn't clap and chant as much, the team would be better?

Seriously? You'll need to show your working here. Personally I feel that years of sub standard coaching, not enough coaches, lack of facilities, paucity of ambition, a culture towards diet and conditioning that is years behind and a seemingly taught mentality of negativity, all overseen by massively inept, parochial, and out of touch governance has led us to where we are.

Not to do with what fans do in the stadium. That should always be positive. It’s about the wider acceptance of failure and putting things down to ‘ah we are Scotland, we’re shite but hey we can party.’ Arguably part of why we have shite, inept, out of touch governance is because they know they will get an easy ride by a certain section of the Scotland support who now accept mediocrity as long as there’s a party attached. 

Just now, roverthemoon said:

Not to do with what fans do in the stadium. That should always be positive. It’s about the wider acceptance of failure and putting things down to ‘ah we are Scotland, we’re shite but hey we can party.’ Arguably part of why we have shite, inept, out of touch governance is because they know they will get an easy ride by a certain section of the Scotland support who now accept mediocrity as long as there’s a party attached. 

We've seen Hampden half empty for games when the team is shite, which is probably what those in charge understand more than anything, yet the governance hasn't really changed.

I'm not sure what you suggest be done by the fans. I'll have a shot at rewriting the coaching courses, but I don't think that's really going to help.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We've seen Hampden half empty for games when the team is shite, which is probably what those in charge understand more than anything, yet the governance hasn't really changed.

I'm not sure what you suggest be done by the fans. I'll have a shot at rewriting the coaching courses, but I don't think that's really going to help.

Maybe nothing we can do as you say, so maybe just enjoying the party is the sensible option. Just me venting frustration about the disappointment of yesterday. On to Wembley 

Scotland fans celebrating and having a blast even after losing does not equate to the fans applauding a poor performance. Get a grip you bunch of moaning gits. Not to get all la-di-da but there is more to life than what happens on the football pitch. 

Anyway back to the game itself, knew from the minute the line up was revealed that we were going to struggle. Refuse to play Adams or Gilmour and pick O'Donnell as a RWB when you have Forrest who did well against Netherlands? - Clarke got exactly what he deserved in the end. 

*PS. Spare me the brutal "Gilmour hardly has any experience" patter. The wee' man is absolutely quality and you don't need to be a footballing genius to see that. 

Clarke is to blame for a lot - the team selection and Marshall being pushed on to the halfway line (who is our goalkeeping coach as someone has clearly told him to?)

Edited by red23

On 14/06/2021 at 22:35, Uncle Psychosis said:

Most disappointing thing for me was that the Czechs looked really poor and we barely laid a glove on them. 

Marshall totally at fault for the second goal. There was a moment in the first half where the Czechs had a similar punt from miles away and me and my mate both turned to each other to say "that was a shot, Marshall better be a bit more careful". 

I don't really know what was going on with O'Donnell but if the rest of the team are going to repeatedly turn away rather than pass to him in acres of space then Clarke needs to either crack some heads or stop playing him.

There was a reluctance to play the ball to Forrest up the right too.  He had that one good run then was ignored.

On 15/06/2021 at 15:24, HalfCutNinja said:

Yes it is, he's a fullback that's his job. He was closest to the ball, surely as someone who makes his living as a fullback he must understand the danger there, yet ambles over as if its not a very dangerous situation. A simple little ten yard burst and that goal doesn't happen. It doesn't require him to be Baresi, just a wee bit switched on.

You lose your argument with ‘ambles’ 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, thepundit said:

A deal rising to £16m for Patterson is great business from Rangers. Can’t argue with a club record fee for fringe player and will wish him all the best.

His Rangers career looked to be finished before it had even began at one point so it’s quite the turnaround.

Hopefully Gio will get a few mill of that fee to spend in January. At least one centre back is an absolute must.

On 14/06/2021 at 19:39, The_Kincardine said:

One of them will be sold in this window or (more likely) the next.  Tavernier is the better player and had a terrific season up until his injury whereas Patterson has a bright future but needs to be playing every week.  We won't hold on to both after December.

Sad if Patterson leaves but it was a obvious as a diddy  trope that it would happen.