Scotland v Czech

GW34

I'm still empty after that, probably the most scunnered I've been after a game since Italy in 2007. I fear we're in for a complete nightmare on Friday evening.

Edited by AMMjag

Most disappointing thing for me was that the Czechs looked really poor and we barely laid a glove on them. 

Marshall totally at fault for the second goal. There was a moment in the first half where the Czechs had a similar punt from miles away and me and my mate both turned to each other to say "that was a shot, Marshall better be a bit more careful". 

I don't really know what was going on with O'Donnell but if the rest of the team are going to repeatedly turn away rather than pass to him in acres of space then Clarke needs to either crack some heads or stop playing him.

1 minute ago, AMMjag said:

I'm still empty after that, probably the most scunnered I've been after a game since Italy in 2007. I fear we're in for a complete nightmare on Friday evening.

I think we'll be fine. Clarke will get a wee reaction from them. I thought we actually played quite well overall. Just a couple of mistakes defensively and some bad finishing. Could easily have won the game.

I don't know if we'll get a result but would be pretty confident we'll get a performance. Hoping that Tierney makes it too what a difference he makes, but it doesn't sound good for him.

Quite funny to see so many saying Hendry had no right to shoot from 40 yards when the very next kick resulted in a 50 yard goal.  It wasn’t where he was however but the options and the opposition player in front of him which made it a bad decision.  
Can’t believe how many goals I’ve watched go in from a similar distance this season …Adams, Roofe, Shankland and now Schick. Hard to say which was the best.

I might be wrong, but I'm assuming that most people were implying that it was the 40 yards in conjunction with the position of the Scottish & opposition players that "gave him no right to shoot"

13 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

Quite funny to see so many saying Hendry had no right to shoot from 40 yards when the very next kick resulted in a 50 yard goal.  It wasn’t where he was however but the options and the opposition player in front of him which made it a bad decision.  
Can’t believe how many goals I’ve watched go in from a similar distance this season …Adams, Roofe, Shankland and now Schick. Hard to say which was the best.

Hendry should've by all means had a pop if their 'keeper was 25 yards off his line and he had a clear sight at goal. 

It was a stupid thing to do and set up a dangerous counter. Granted that I didn't quite expect the next part as I had no idea Marshall was so far off his line. 

Absolutely deflated after that . Gutted .

can only see us getting a doing on Friday , unless Clarke totally changes the way he approaches it . Adams had to start today , no idea why he didn't . Sick to death of hearing how "O'Donnell has never let us down" he's  it good enough end of. 

16 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Most disappointing thing for me was that the Czechs looked really poor and we barely laid a glove on them. 

Marshall totally at fault for the second goal. There was a moment in the first half where the Czechs had a similar punt from miles away and me and my mate both turned to each other to say "that was a shot, Marshall better be a bit more careful". 

I don't really know what was going on with O'Donnell but if the rest of the team are going to repeatedly turn away rather than pass to him in acres of space then Clarke needs to either crack some heads or stop playing him.

Really bothers me too, they literally had to do very little to win the game , we huffed and  puffed and barely got a clean shot on goal

22 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Yip worst for me is we shat our best chance for 3 points. Gone never getting them back

We shouldve been up for that game like our lives depended on it all guns blazing

Edited by Glennie

Dykes should be finished after that. Adams as first choice all day, followed by Nisbit. A front 3 of Robertson Adams and Christie would have been too much for the Czechs. 

But we played defensively, when we don't have the players to do it that way.

2 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Dykes should be finished after that. Adams as first choice all day, followed by Nisbit. A front 3 of Robertson Adams and Christie would have been too much for the Czechs. 

But we played defensively, when we don't have the players to do it that way.

CRAZY FOOL! - BA Baracus | Meme Generator

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely.

However, he is still too far forward, if he's ten yards further back he's still sweeping but he ain't being lobbed.

Yeah. Have you EVER seen Marshall actually touch the ball that far up the park in open play? Whether he’s passing the ball about with his defenders or rushing off his line to nick a through ball off a strikers toes? I haven’t. If it was Ederson or Alisson or Neuer or another guy who plays like that you could make a case for him being that far up the park. But Marshall is not that kind of keeper, so he has no business in that position. Obviously Hendry has to take a portion of the blame too. He has to realise that as a centre half who’s 30yds further up the park than usual he can’t give the ball away cheaply. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

On train home after a few beers. Clarke totally outfoxed by opposition sitting the wee no 8 on our out ball in Mctominay forcing the three Central defenders into hoofball. Basic stuff.

The high press is pretty much standard these days. Lots of top class teams from Italy and even England downwards use it. 

We seemed utterly baffled by the fact that the Czechs wouldn't just stand back and let our 3 carthorse central defenders knock wee 20 yard passes to McGinn, McTominay or Armstrong. 

It reminded me a lot of Aberdeen. Slow as a week in jail, with 10 sideways passes allowing the opposition to organise, before eventually we hoof the ball aimlessly forwards. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

At least thanks to BBC Scotland's website headlines I now know the difference between a hit and hope over a keeper who was miles off his line and a wonder goal.

If Edinburgh City scored a goal like that against, say, Stranraer it would be a hit and hope against an inept goalkeeper (actually Stranraer's Fleming isn't too bad)

When the Czechs score it against Scotland it's a wonder strike and goal of the tournament so far...

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

When the Czechs score it against Scotland it's a wonder strike and goal of the tournament so far...

It was a wonder strike and the goal of the tournament so far to be fair. Even with Marshall AWOL the technique to curve it into the net was stunning. 

18 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The high press is pretty much standard these days. Lots of top class teams from Italy and even England downwards use it. 

We seemed utterly baffled by the fact that the Czechs wouldn't just stand back and let our 3 carthorse central defenders knock wee 20 yard passes to McGinn, McTominay or Armstrong. 

It reminded me a lot of Aberdeen. Slow as a week in jail, with 10 sideways passes allowing the opposition to organise, before eventually we hoof the ball aimlessly forwards. 

The entire performance was based in spl thinking by a guy who forgot everything he learned over the last 2 years 

1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

That wasn't even my main problem with Hendry though. Frankly, I thought he hid throughout the game today. He's not in the team because he's one of our best defenders, he's not even close. He's only there because he's supposed to be able to play the ball out from the back but today he was happy to get marked by one of their strikers and made no effort to create opportunities to play out. As a result, we punted the ball away endlessly today.

Totally disagree here and really not sure where you're getting that from.

1 hour ago, saint pogo said:

Are you genuinely suggesting that Hendry should have tried lobbing the keeper? If not, I fail to see your point.

It appears this tournament will be a learning exercise, it's just too early for us.

O'Donnell will be done after the euros and replaced with Patterson (not sure how it'll work with Tavernier playing) Gilmour should/would have been playing if Lampard stayed manager at chelsea.

We should be a better side in a couple of years (keeper aside)