Scotland v Czech

GW34

25 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Hendry being blamed isva ridiculous take when your keeper concedes from about 45 fucking yards. Yeah he was trying a worldy, but he'd scored against the Dutch and hit the bar so he felt confident enough to take it on. Weren't there like 3 Scotland players behind him? Marshall is totally at fault for that. The only excuse for conceding from that distance is it being 15 years ago and being a Juninho Pernambucano free kick which moves in about 3 directions. Ludicrous.

It was Hendry who gave away the ball. If Marshall was further back and the Czechs still ended up scoring from their 2 v 2 break would people still be saying Hendry wasn’t to blame?

It’s possible for more than one player to be at fault.

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Mate you've got a very recognizable brand that people make fun of you for. Sometimes it's in the text and sometimes it's in the subtext. Don't be so precious about it. You've gotten to the stage where you're posting disingenuous freeze frames to prove that someone other than a goalkeeper is responsible for a goal from 49 yards. You're as well saying "if Hendry didn't intercept the ball in the first place they wouldn't have scored". You don't like him, we get it. I wouldn't be playing him either

Hendry would be fine if he wasn't convinced he was good on the ball.

Stick him in a similar role to Hanley where all he does is sweep and lay the ball off, and he'd be a standout. I would genuinely argue a back three of Tierney - Hendry - McTominay could be our best backline from the current squad.

He needs the game made really simple for him as, mentally, he's miles off it.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stick him in a similar role to Hanley where all he does is sweep and lay the ball off, and he'd be a standout. I would genuinely argue a back three of Tierney - Hendry - McTominay could be our best backline from the current squad.

I'd rather have had Hanley with the ball 40 yards out like Hendry was.  Not a chance big Grant would even contemplate a shot. 

1 minute ago, forameus said:

I'd rather have had Hanley with the ball 40 yards out like Hendry was.  Not a chance big Grant would even contemplate a shot. 

Probably, but neither him or Hendry are nearly good enough to be the "marauding" right CB if the only support is O'Donnell, who'll spend 90 minutes just passing it back to them whenever he gets the ball.

I'd be surprised if McTominay doesn't start there in the next 2 games.

Nobody to blame for that shambles  bar the manager.  Playing one up front at home v the arguably the weakest opponents in the group. Even at 2 nil down with 15 to go he brings on Forrest.  WTF Is he gonna do?Naw mate , fling on Turnbull and Gilmour ffs. Craig Levein levels of attacking tactical awareness shown tonight. Thought I'd seen it all from Scotland  but f**k me what  a f**k up by Clarke

Forests dribble right at the end needs mentioning because when we had players on the right hand side we looked dangerous, just a pity it was so late on, also thought Nisbet had the look of an old fashioned goal hanger about him. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf I think scoring that goal against the Netherlands (and hitting the bar today) are the worst things that could have happened to him.

I would say though posting the photo of the moment he's striking the ball is a bit daft as obviously players are moving to close the shot. Watching it back in real time didn't look like he had many options except O'Donnell (which was still the better option but I can't blame him for not passing to him).

I'd agree about that defence, as we've discussed before you need clever wee things in a 352/343 and McTominay/Tierney are excellent "weapons" to have. Anyway, sorry for winding you up thought it was a wee joke opportunity

marshall was 90% to blame for that goal...ive no idea why he thought it was wise to be standing not far from the center circle....the post match interview with the czech boy he said they noticed him doing it in the 1st half..why dont keepers just keep fucking goal and leave the football to the outfield players think robertson was being kind when he said marshall was in the correct position when asked about it...i bet he was fucking fuming.

As some others have rightly said - we have played a lot worse and won some games. We did create a decent number of chances but CR missed 2/3 sitters in addition to the 2 they did score so it wasn’t as though we dominated on “chances created”.........it was pretty even.

My gripe with Scotland is that when it comes to the big games on the big stage it is invariably a big flop. This happened when we had strong squads packed with class players in the 70s and 80s as well. Sport at the top level is all about delivering when it really matters - arriving on the big day with your A Game not repeatedly fluffing your lines at the crucial point and claiming that we are continually unlucky.The really disappointing thing is that the vast majority of our players didn’t perform well - very few got pass marks and most were extremely poor. The Manager picked a cautious insipid line up with a real lack of flair and by losing that all important first game pretty tamely it leaves a mountain to climb. Losing by two makes a third place passage extremely unlikely without us avoiding defeat at Wembley. To do that will take a huge effort and a monumental improvement in all areas of our performance.

Nobody to blame for that shambles  bar the manager.  Playing one up front at home v the arguably the weakest opponents in the group. Even at 2 nil down with 15 to go he brings on Forrest.  WTF Is he gonna do?Naw mate , fling on Turnbull and Gilmour ffs. Craig Levein levels of attacking tactical awareness shown tonight. Thought I'd seen it all from Scotland  but f**k me what  a f**k up by Clarke
I agree with this but I'm getting slated on watsap groups. He also brought mcgregor on..wtf

54 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Any info on Robertson for Friday? They said on the radio that his thigh was strapped up in the warm down.

On the game itself, for me it simply came down to not taking our chances. We can all moan till we're blue in the face about player x not starting or the gameplan not being correct but it's all irrelevant if we don't take any chances. We must have had 6/7 decent chances today.
Remember our last game against the Czechs? We were atrocious (far, far worse than today) and could have very easily lost by 3 or 4 goals. Somehow we score from our only shot on goal and the Czechs were the ones missing multiple absolute sitters. What was the difference between the two teams? A brilliant goalscorer.

A point against England would be massive and give us a chance going into the last game. It seems incredibly unlikely at the moment though since we seem incapable of scoring and are prone to making errors at the back ourselves.

The point about the last game against them is a good one. I assume Schick must have been injured that day as Vydra played. Vydra's a good player but a poor finisher. If Schick had played in that game the outcome would probably have been similar to today's. 

Was at the game today and couldn't face this thread until now. Still got another 30 pages to read, so a lot of this has probably already been said.

Clarke got his team wrong today in selecting McGinn and Armstrong. Apart from that I wouldn't have many complaints, assuming Adams did have a slight knock and couldn't start.

Armstrong is not a deep lying midfielder. He doesn't look to take the ball off the defenders often because it's simply not his game. If he's playing, he needs to be higher up the pitch where he can burst forward and get involved in the attack. He and McGinn can't fit in the same team unless we play a completely different formation. 

For large parts of todays game the centrebacks had little outball. I don't much like Callum McGregor but he always makes himself available for a pass, and I do actually think he was missed today, especially with Tierney out. It would be nice to have Gilmour as an option too but we haven't seen much of him unfortunately. 

The next biggest issue was Hendry. As has been mentioned, his shot leading up to their second goal was pathetic. Even if it wasn't blocked, it was going nowhere near the goal, but shooting from distance when there's no cover behind you is asking for trouble. Clearly Marshall was in no man's land but usually you'd get away with that.

That wasn't even my main problem with Hendry though. Frankly, I thought he hid throughout the game today. He's not in the team because he's one of our best defenders, he's not even close. He's only there because he's supposed to be able to play the ball out from the back but today he was happy to get marked by one of their strikers and made no effort to create opportunities to play out. As a result, we punted the ball away endlessly today.

I was surprised many on Radio Scotland were classing this as a good performance when we were driving back up the road. Robertson played well, Dykes did his job even though he's wasteful of chances, and Adams did well when he came on though to no end result. Hanley was largely fine. Beyond that, 4 players, I don't think anyone else played well today.

The Czechs were very smart and effective. They knew our game plan, ran at us, didn't give us time (except our inept centrebacks) and took their chances. We'd have been delighted to pick up a win like that.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Quite funny to see so many saying Hendry had no right to shoot from 40 yards when the very next kick resulted in a 50 yard goal.  It wasn’t where he was however but the options and the opposition player in front of him which made it a bad decision.  
Can’t believe how many goals I’ve watched go in from a similar distance this season …Adams, Roofe, Shankland and now Schick. Hard to say which was the best.