Scotland v Czech

GW34

29 minutes ago, Saltire said:

We qualified for the finals. We have two game to play.We were competitive today. Not everyone had their best game but every one of them worked their backsides off. This Scottish cringe pish on here is utterly pathetic. 

Working your backside off doesn’t win games as that’s pretty much a given for every professional footballer at this Euros representing their country. Also, questioning poor team selection, tactics and decision making has nothing to do with any sort of cringe and everything to do with peoples view of football. 4 points from England and Croatia isn’t impossible, but it’s a huge ask. I’m now approaching the rest of this tournament much like I did the second leg of Rovers play-off against Dundee. Will still keep hope until it’s definitely declared over, but in my heart of hearts I know it’s most likely fucked. Hope I’m spectacularly wide of the mark. 

Edited by roverthemoon

58 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Just remember , when Tavernier (?) is back fully fit Nathan will struggle to get a game !

One of them will be sold in this window or (more likely) the next.  Tavernier is the better player and had a terrific season up until his injury whereas Patterson has a bright future but needs to be playing every week.  We won't hold on to both after December.

The vodka has kicked in...

Its devastating after all the optimism to be in this position. But this is Scotland. We have a difficult relationship with optimism.

We absolutely shat the bed today by naw taking our chances but now we are rank outsiders and thats a position that suits us better anyway.

So bring on the english. Heeds up lads

[emoji852][emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

There’s a lot to be positive about from that performance. On another day - not everyone’s favourite football cliche, I know - a couple of those chances would have been taken and the game ends entirely differently.

Such is the nature of knockout tournaments such as the Euros, though, I fear we’re going to seriously, seriously regret that match and look back on it as a massive missed opportunity.

If we’d taken a point, or even scored once today, I’d have been far more up for Friday than I’m feeling right now.

50 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

WTF is the score with Tierney?
With him in the side today, the humiliating 2nd goal doesn't happen and I'd wager wed score at least one.
Really hoping we're not without him for the England game.

What would Tierney have done about that second goal exactly?

Strapped a jetpack on and headed it away mid flight?

It was Marshall's bad positioning and the strikers excellent strike. Nothing more.

To be honest on the way home I was listening to the clyde super scoreboard go into meltdown as happens after every defeat at home. This time it was a meltdown about an okay performance actually at a major tournament. 

Just shows that we will never not be angry about something.  Some of the pish spouted by the weegies had me in stitches. Wee Brian from Clydebank wanting Clarke sacked ffs.

Overall I'm just scunnered about the result. On another day we are scoring at least 3 in that 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

It was Marshall's bad positioning and the strikers excellent strike. Nothing more.

Hendry and Marshall both badly at fault.....killed the game for us.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

One of them will be sold in this window or (more likely) the next.  Tavernier is the better player and had a terrific season up until his injury whereas Patterson has a bright future but needs to be playing every week.  We won't hold on to both after December.

Yes you will.

Just back from the game. Won't have much to add to other observations: we did well in spells, produced several chances, they were cuter on the ball, couldn't argue with their goals.

Didn't feel like a debut home game at a major finals and our 1st in 23yrs... atmosphere more like the Olympic games in 2012 and less than a domestic cup final.

Perhaps understandable given restrictions and stadium so empty.

Disappointing result but not definitive provided get a result at Wembley or spank the Croats plus get some luck.

Hard to add anything in to all these posts but I ought to have known better about our prospects today. Yes we did miss chances and had Robertson scored first then who knows , but too many players in wrong positions for too long--missed Tierney big time .  We do have weaknesses at CB and RB and today showed it up. Always optimistic so hope for better team selection/attitudes on Friday .

8 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

Hendry and Marshall both badly at fault.....killed the game for us.

I'm not having the Hendry at fault part.

He had a pop at goal, minutes after he had hit the bar and a week or so after scoring a great goal against Netherlands.

Was it the best option? Probably not. But it hardly makes him badly at fault when their striker scored from the half way line.

You want to know the big difference between Scotland and every other team I've seen at this tournament? I didn't watch England cause f**k England but every other team all their players are more comfortable taking the ball under pressure.

That changes everything, and is the key to modern football. Now teams press high and squeeze defensively so there is less space between the lines, you have to be comfortable taking the ball into feet under pressure.

Once your players are their pass selection can be different. And that's the second part to it, other teams are more comfortable taking the ball with a couple of opposition players close to them and usually with their back to goal. This means their teammates are more likely to pass to them in these situations. And that's what Scotland lack. Players who are comfortable taking the ball under pressure, and players who are comfortable to take measured risks with their pass selection. 

We never do either of these things basically. Our players to a man pretty much don't look comfortable taking the ball under pressure, and as a result our players don't take measured risks when passing by passing to players under a little pressure. We lack bravery on the ball.

That's how they used to teach the game here. If in doubt punt it out, clear your lines etc, pass to the unmarked player. Now if you just clear your lines it just comes back, you're just giving the ball away. You have to be better than that. You have to be able to pop it round the press with a couple of one touch passes and get out then you can play.

Ironically we had a guy on the bench today who is brilliant at that, but most of our players aren't. At the top level being safe isn't enough now, you need to be good. Hanley a couple of times just headed it clear when he had the opportunity to bring it down and play. McGregor turned away from trouble to play negative passes three times when at least two of them he should be good and brave enough to be aware he can turn and play forward and we're 2-0 down so he should be moderating his decision making to reflect that.

O'Donnell shouldn't be playing international football. He's just not got it. I think Forrest coming on was a sign he'll be starting there against England. Gilmour should be in but won't be, wonderful chance to give him a run today and goes with McGregor. And Patterson should be first choice already but won't be, and if not should be coming off the bench for Forrest on Friday but probably won't either.

And Harry Souttar wins the header for that first goal btw.

Edited by HalfCutNinja

My bad - I had it in my head that Hendry was on our left (in Tierney's place).
Part of the point stands though that we missed his rock solid defending and driving runs from the back.

I'm in the Hendry at fault camp.

No other team lose that goal as no one shoots from there given the obvious and easy ball out wide, which gives us the opportunity to put in a decent cross. 

It was a ridiculous decision to shoot. 

Marshall was maybe a bit too casual in his positioning but he's entitled to believe we're never giving the ball away in that position. 

99 times out of 100 we get away with it, which is the most galling thing. 

3 minutes ago, Pepper said:

I'm in the Hendry at fault camp.

No other team lose that goal as no one shoots from there given the obvious and easy ball out wide, which gives us the opportunity to put in a decent cross. 

It was a ridiculous decision to shoot. 

Marshall was maybe a bit too casual in his positioning but he's entitled to believe we're never giving the ball away in that position. 

99 times out of 100 we get away with it, which is the most galling thing. 

Nah that's pish. He made a bad decision to shoot but it shouldn't immediately result in a goal when he's making that decion about 90 yards from his own goal. We should still have had at least two players behind the ball too it shouldn't be a decision that leads to a goal.

And the guy who actually hit the shot saying he did it because Marshall was too far off his line is really the giveaway as to who's fault it was.