Scotland v Czech

GW34

24 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Well that was that. I actually thought we were a wee bit unlucky - just didn't get the break of the ball on a good few occasions. SOD was shit. Patterson in for Friday. Christie was shit. Gilmour in for him please.

Thought the centre backs were pretty decent apart from first goal which should've been defended better.

We used up all our good luck getting to the finals.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

'Nick a goal'

'Sit in'

'Grab something'

'Keep it tight'

How often do we hear shite like this from folk involved in Scottish football. So negative. It permeates throughout our game and coaches. It's almost like negativity is taught here.

Isn't that how the majority of teams in Scotland have to look at most games when they are in a different stratosphere financially to the two bullies at the top? Let them f**k off to the English league and let's have a competitive domestic competition that might encourage some attacking football.

You’ve got 3 games, you need to fucking go for it. The worst that can happen is you finish bottom. 

It’s as if the players and coaches are trying not to get relegated or something.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Aberdeen fans slagging Christie is a weird flex. Seeing as he was their best players for 2 seasons.

I thought he was v poor, other than his wee shimmy into the box when SOD got in his way. He looked spooked in his interview pre match interview. Seemed unsure of his position and unable to get on the ball, but then that could be said for the midfielders for periods of the game. 

The O’Donnell back heel out the park in the first minute and then his tackle on Christie summed it up. Classic. 

Plenty effort but too much route one football and players who still look really uncomfortable with a ball at their feet. 

Edited by Mean Gene

20 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You cannot play football constantly accounting for the worst case scenario, if you did you'd have 11 players behind the ball the entire game and never venture out your half. It is a game of risk/reward trade-offs

A keeper is different from every other player on the field. Their major responsibility is covering their goal. Abandon that by positioning yourself too far up the pitch and I’m afraid you are at fault.  

Think ultimately Clarke thought he could get away with the same set up that just about got us through knock out football against some utter diddies in a major tournament. Knew it would be the same system but thought he'd at least tweak it a bit.

Ball never stuck to Dykes the entirety of the first half and Christie did pretty well with what he was given imo. Sticking with Dykes and O'Donnell, and thinking McGinn can continue as a "10" at this level is in retrospect incredibly optimistic. There were a fair few positives but I don't know how Clarke thought we were actually going to win that game with how he set out. Timid, insipid pish 

Totally agree - while Steve Clarke has undoubtedly improved the results and performances we are still short of real quality in the key areas. If you continue to pre-programme yourself for a major let down from Scotland you are seldom disappointed. The more unrealistic the hype becomes the more likely the let down that will inevitably follow.
We were scarily bad before Clarke come in. It didn't show at first but I do think him just trying to get a bit of consistency behind how he was doing things has made us a lot more competitive.

Andy Considine did himself proud but I think it does show the job Clarke did that we could be in an emergency needing a player like that and he come into and fitted into the system with little fuss or exposure.

I don't really think there would be many Scottish goalkeepers, centre backs, right backs, defensive midfielders and strikers going to this tournament with other countries. There's players with a bit of promise there (and I'm sure Adams would make it) but we just don't have the depth right now.

The stuff we've been hearing about this being a real golden generation etc is just far from the truth IMO. The 2008 qualifying campaign squad were far stronger and more balanced than this team and would have given anyone in the world a game.

I felt we were unfortunate today but you make your own luck and we basically beat ourselves. Line up was very negative and not good enough. Our form isn't good enough anyway, we seem to play to not lose than to win. 

O'Donnell was utterly woeful yet again and McGregor coming on probably was the only thing to make him look good.

Anyone shocked at the size of crowd announced?  9,800 or something similar.

Which meant the place was a good 2,000 shy of what we were told was the max allowed.

I had work colleagues who had their tickets pinched back off them by Uefa. 

To be fair to Steve Clarke, the expectation rose after two penalty shootouts against average opposition. If we were genuinely on an upward trajectory then we’d have went on to gain promotion in the Nations League from a strong position. We didn’t. Then tournament excitement then took over and we all, including me, ignored any realistic assessment of the team. Today was that reality check. Unless we adjust and improve dramatically, wouldn’t be surprised to see us lose all three games. 

26 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

C'mom folks - we are a third rate side, who just lost to a second rate one.   Just imagine how crap this afternoon would have been, sitting in Hampden watching Serbia v Czech Rep.  Just enjoy being at the party, however briefly.

No, I'm not going with that. Roy Keane wen't home from Korea because the Irish team had that exact same attitude. We're not there just to make up the fucking numbers. 

26 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You’ve got 3 games, you need to fucking go for it. The worst that can happen is you finish bottom. 

It’s as if the players and coaches are trying not to get relegated or something.

All the soundbites from the camp suggested they were more interested in not losing than winning. Daft because I'm not sure where they thought the win would come from if we couldn't beat the Czechs.

5 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

No, I'm not going with that. Roy Keane wen't home from Korea because the Irish team had that exact same attitude. We're not there just to make up the fucking numbers. 

Sorry to be the bearer.......but we fucking are.