Scotland v Czech

GW34

46 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Honestly, this is mental.

The idea that there's some cunning trick that will automatically lead to Scotland being better than this is unbelievably naive. This is who we are.

In recent times as a Scotland supporter you join a queue, wait 23 years, eventually gain admission, then get soundly punched in the face as you walk through the door. As  someone who endured Argentina '78 (and, yes, it's still too soon to talk about it), it's the same old story.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

So your tactic is 'give the ball away, the keeper will deal with it'?

My tactic is for the goalkeeper to prepare for worst case scenario. Not wander upfield and leave your goal exposed. The striker literally said in his interview that he noticed the poor positioning of Marshall earlier so was ready to capitalise. Hendry’s decision making was poor as was Marshall’s 

Poor result and disappointing performance to go with it. Too many players weren't at it, Robertson and Hanley the pick of the bunch as mentioned by others.

McGinn and McTominay nowhere near the performances they are capable of and O'Donnell's deficiencies were glaringly obvious today in that we carried absolutely no threat down the right while he was on the field.

I also think Clarke got things very wrong. Adams should've started and his substitutions were also baffling. Refusing to ditch the back 5 while 2-0 down was absolutely criminal when we needed overloads in midfield/up top. We did have chances but none that I was entirely convinced we were going to take. Dykes has flattered to deceive of late and looks no more useful than McBurnie.

Hendry and Marshall were equally at fault for the 2nd. Anyone claiming keepers, top keepers anyway, often stand that far up the pitch are kidding themselves in some kind of attempt to absolve Marshall of any blame. He will always be fondly remembered for his penalty save but you can absolutely call him out when deserved.

A deflating result but not entirely surprising. Clarke needs to do a lot better.

7 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

The responsibility for covering the goal is 100% Marshall’s. Prepare for every eventuality, not dick about too far forward and be lobbed.  The Czech striker said afterwards he noticed Marshall’s shit positioning earlier which is the nail in his coffin. 

On the bright side Marshall's positioning shows him to be more of a goal threat than Dykes.

Anyway, O' Donnell, Hanley, Dykes, Marshall.... all found wanting.

Does this put to bed the idea that experienced players are less of a risk based purely on them having experience? This is a line Clarke likes to use, but we've seen so much evidence (including today) that experienced players are just as likely to have bad games as those without experience.  In fact, I've seen more evidence that a newbie's eagerness to impress and a youngster's fearlessness can give them the edge.

Edited by BazMac

Just now, Crùbag said:

On the bright side Marshall's positioning shows him to be more of a goal threat than Dykes.

Anyway, O' Donnell, Hanley, Dykes, Marshall.... all found wanting.

Need to disagree with you on Hanley, I thought he was good today.

7 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I fully anticipated Marshall and O’Donnell starting which I was fully prepared to accept but I just I cannot get my head around not starting Adams. When Clarke was asked about Adams being on the bench, it appeared that Dykes got the nod for his contribution towards qualification. I just can’t agree with that. Pick your best players on the day. It’s the bloody euros, not some testimonial giving thanks to the players 

That did seem to be the note on a few players. I don't think you can keep carrying credit for a match that happened 6 months ago.

McGinn needs to play his best position - a more advanced role. O’Donnell needs fired into the sun. Hendry is still a bomb scare IMO. Hopefully we get Tierney back on Friday and can jettison him too. I’m not one for screaming to throw the young boys in but Gilmour and Patterson need to start the next game.

18 minutes ago, Raithie said:

ITV pundits saying Clarke has said Tierney should be fit for Friday.

They have nothing more to go by than the BBC interview.  And Clarke most certainly did not say that.  

9 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I fully anticipated Marshall and O’Donnell starting which I was fully prepared to accept but I just I cannot get my head around not starting Adams. When Clarke was asked about Adams being on the bench, it appeared that Dykes got the nod for his contribution towards qualification. I just can’t agree with that. Pick your best players on the day. It’s the bloody euros, not some testimonial giving thanks to the players 

This is what lost it today. Pick the best 11 now, not reward previous contribution. 

The pundits on Sportsound are oddly positive about the performance. They seem to think it was pretty good and encouraging.

Neil McCann thinks that the defending was mostly fine for the 1st and that it was just simply a great header. No mention of how long they had to cross the ball.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

McGinn needs to play his best position - a more advanced role. O’Donnell needs fired into the sun. Hendry is still a bomb scare IMO. Hopefully we get Tierney back on Friday and can jettison him too. I’m not one for screaming to throw the young boys in but Gilmour and Patterson need to start the next game.

That seems really harsh. 

Poor from Clarke.  Too conservative and too loyal to players that simply aren't good enough. Give me talent and attitude over experience any day. The Czechs are a decent team, no more. Losing 2-0 to them at home, in our first game at a major tournament in a generation isn't good enough, no matter what spin is put on it. it's bordering on an embarrassment.

Changes are needed for the England game. We've got to go out with the attitude that we're looking for the win.

Edited by Gordon EF

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The pundits on Sportsound are oddly positive about the performance. They seem to think it was pretty good and encouraging.

Neil McCann thinks that the defending was mostly fine for the 1st and that it was just simply a great header. No mention of how long they had to cross the ball.

McLean, Kerr and Fletcher on BBC were comically positive. It wasn't good enough and Clarke got it wrong. Say so. This attitude of getting scudded 2-0 at home by the Czechs is fine as long as we create a few chances and run about a bit is utterly brutal and need to get punted into the sea.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

McLean, Kerr and Fletcher on BBC were comically positive. It wasn't good enough and Clarke got it wring say so. This attitude of getting scudded 2-0 at home by the Czechs is fine as long as we create a few chances and run about a bit is utterly brutal and need to get punted into the sea.

I can sort of see the positive that we created a lot of chances, but that's it, and we never took any of them either.