Scotland v Czech

GW34

Just now, GiGi said:

It was poor positioning and it was a wondergoal. I'd like to see most Scotland players try to replicate the finish. 

Shankland done it from further out earlier this season.

Surprised Hendry is getting so much stick considering how scared everyone else in that squad was of taking a shot
The shot wasn't on though. Its unfortunate that the ball landed where it did after the block but it was a total hit headed moment when there was no need to blast the ball. We were only 1 down with about 5 minutes of the 2nd half played.

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Both goals utterly preventable and we should have got a couple ourselves. That's the frustration.

I agree, we need an upgrade at rightback, otherwise I think we're reasonable. We lost 2-0 but with the rub of the green it could have been a 2-0 victory.

I watched the game in the Castle Tavern, Inverness. Sadly the punters were more entertaining than the game. A jakey couple were in and the guy fell off his seat, causing a slight scene - enough for another guy to jokingly shout “taxi!” The jakeys bird didn’t take too kindly to this and started on him, calling him an “Instagram boy” for some reason, and had to be calmed down by the bar staff. All very bizarre. It summed up the game for me tbh.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They’re clearly not the second worst side in the tournament. Of the sides I’ve watched so far, they’re obviously better than us, North Macedonia and Wales at least. 

In lots of aspects of the game today .....defence especially...the Czechs were dreadfully poor.  And that was against a side as weak as us. 

Turkey were awful, but that was against a top class side in Italy. 

Today was a Championship level game going on, when the rest of Europe is playing Premier league. Even an average Engalnd side would have taken 3 or 4 off the Czechs, without really breaking a sweat. 

The Czechs may get a 3rd place, but I suspect that they'll lose heavily against England and probably by a goal or 2 against Croatia. I'll be very surprised if our group sees a 3rd place team getting through. 

Hendry was on the ball, made a terrible decision, gave the opposition possession and the rest is history.

Maybe Marshall is out of position but ultimately the player on the ball has the responsibility especially when he's giving the ball away from an idiotic decision on his part.

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

It was poor positioning and it was a wondergoal. I'd like to see most Scotland players try to replicate the finish. 

Booting the ball from the halfway line when the keeper is out seems to excite people but I’ve never seen it as technical brilliance personally.

It's possible for both Hendry and Marshall to be at fault.  There was no need for Marshall to be that high up, a goalkeeper should never ever be beaten with a strike that far out, with 40 min to go. 

My thoughts are

We actually played pretty well. Beaten by two great goals. The second one is obviously avoidable but was a great strike. That’s the difference with having a top class striker.

Clarke got his team selection wrong. We looked most dangerous when the ball was kept on the deck and looked shite when playing the ball high to dykes who won f**k all. Adams made a difference when he came on. Their second goal knocked the stuffing out us.

Marshall will get stick for being that far out but it was a superb strike that happens rarely. Hendry should be the one questioned as to why he is shooting from there.

Sorry to say that O’Donnell is not good enough. We basically have no attacking threat down the right hand side because of him which is always going to be an issue. Paterson may be young and not playing much but he would offer more of a threat.

Mcginn is our best attacking mid and we lose his effectiveness when he plays so deep
From the limited amount I've seen of Patterson, he looked better than O'Donnell going forward but didn't look great at defending. He was caught out of position and easily beat in full-back position a few times. If you know someone who can fulfil both roles please tell us.

Other than that I generally agree with you.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

In lots of aspects of the game today .....defence especially...the Czechs were dreadfully poor.  And that was against a side as weak as us. 

Turkey were awful, but that was against a top class side in Italy. 

Today was a Championship level game going on, when the rest of Europe is playing Premier league. Even an average Engalnd side would have taken 3 or 4 off the Czechs, without really breaking a sweat. 

The Czechs may get a 3rd place, but I suspect that they'll lose heavily against England and probably by a goal or 2 against Croatia. I'll be very surprised if our group sees a 3rd place team getting through. 

That’s why it is so frustrating the Clarke went for the cautious approach. Youth, energy, and no fear talent could have seen us come away with three points. He went conservative and we’ve lost and now are totally up against it. 

2 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Well, Adams quite literally did it to Ederson last season

But he didn't do it today and Schick did. It was a worldie, hit perfect. 

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Hendry was on the ball, made a terrible decision, gave the opposition possession and the rest is history.

Maybe Marshall is out of position but ultimately the player on the ball has the responsibility especially when he's giving the ball away from an idiotic decision on his part.

The responsibility for covering the goal is 100% Marshall’s. Prepare for every eventuality, not dick about too far forward and be lobbed.  The Czech striker said afterwards he noticed Marshall’s shit positioning earlier which is the nail in his coffin. 

Just now, roverthemoon said:

The responsibility for covering the goal is 100% Marshall’s. Prepare for every eventuality, not dick about too far forward and be lobbed.  The Czech striker said afterwards he noticed Marshall’s shit positioning earlier which is the nail in his coffin. 

So your tactic is 'give the ball away, the keeper will deal with it'?

I fully anticipated Marshall and O’Donnell starting which I was fully prepared to accept but I just I cannot get my head around not starting Adams. When Clarke was asked about Adams being on the bench, it appeared that Dykes got the nod for his contribution towards qualification. I just can’t agree with that. Pick your best players on the day. It’s the bloody euros, not some testimonial giving thanks to the players 

Edited by qpfc