Scotland v Czech

GW34

47 minutes ago, ropy said:

Plenty scope to make the necessary changes if the first 11 don’t hit the heights 

Also in knockout games, should we make it there, you can use a 6th in overtime if the game goes the distance.

Goalkeeper

It would take a heartless b*****d to drop David Marshall for the opening game, but I think Craig Gordon is the better keeper and has ended the season on a far brighter note. I'd personally start Gordon, but think Marshall will get this game at least. 

Defenders

Tierney And Robertson are in. 

I think Hanley and Cooper are the best options to fill the remaining CB spots, but I'm not sure if they've played enough time together (if at all) to both start. I'd go with them but think it will be Cooper and Hendry like the Netherlands game. 

RWB, I think the criticism of Patterson on here has been a bit harsh and he made some dangerous attacking runs v Luxembourg. I also actually quite liked the look of Forrest there against the Netherlands; his end product was lacking but again I think he at least demonstrated he can be trusted to play the position without much bother.

Neither have much game time under their belt however and whilst O'Donnell is way behind the other two technically, he's grown right into this team over the last year and I think will guarantee a 6 or 7/10 performance at the very least. Out of all the squad I think he'll be the one pinching himself the most about being there and I think he'll have a good mindset. I'd pick him against CR. 

Midfield

McTominay and McGinn take up two of the three places, so likely a straight choice between McGregor and Gilmour. In McGregor's defence he was excellent in Serbia and worked very will with Ryan Jack, but in the absence of Jack doing dirty work and allowing him more time to play simple passes and press the ball a bit more, he has stuck out as one of our poorer performers. 

Gilmour looks like he will guarantee class and positional awareness, and I'd want him in to address one of our biggest weaknesses in that we too often treat the ball like a hot potato. I'd like to think taking him off right away after that tackle v Luxembourg was a sign that he had a big part to play against the Czechs, but I think Clark will stick with McGregor and keep Gilmour for England. 

Attack

Adams is comfortably our best striker; a reliable enough finisher and presses defenders well as evidenced by our equaliser in Israel. I'd be stunned if he didn't start. 

I'd then be tempted by Ryan Fraser whose pace caused CR real problems in the 1-0 win at Hampden, but since then he's had injuries and not had much gametime. 

I also like the idea of Armstrong playing off Adams given they play together on a weekly basis and seem to have shown signs of linking up well together (admittedly I can only immediately recall Southampton's cup win against Bournemouth, where the two of them ran riot). Like Cooper and Hanley though, I'm not sure they've played together enough for Scotland for this to be tried in the first game. 

Lyndon Dykes gives me the fear, not necessarily because of his performances but that incident against the Netherlands where he challenged a ball and left his studs in on the guy's lap - that's an immediate red card with VAR in play. I think he is prone to that kind of clumsiness and I think Clarke will be wary of that too. 

I think he will start Ryan Christie who has probably played the off-the-striker position most out of the other options. I'm not all that keen given his form since the turn of the year, but if he can replicate his performance in Serbia then perfect. 

Personally I'd go with:

Gordon 

O'Donnell; Cooper; Hanley; Tierney; Robertson 

McTominay; Gilmour

Armstrong; McGinn

Adams

Edited by AMMjag

I see the Czechs are trying to get the game moved from Hampden. Also read about their coach asking the tartan army not to take the whole racial situation out on their team. Sounds like they’re running scared to me

2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Reading all the coverage of England over the last few days and it struck me that if Scotland take the knee at any games it'll be the first time they do so with (Scotland) fans in the ground. Really hope it is well received if so and not booed like some of the morons following England. Is there any indication of whether they will do so or not?

I don't think there's a chance it would be booed in Scotland.  It would be immensely disappointing if it was.

2 hours ago, Biscuits said:

I see the Czechs are trying to get the game moved from Hampden. Also read about their coach asking the tartan army not to take the whole racial situation out on their team. Sounds like they’re running scared to me

I fucking hate them.  Ever since that 2-2 draw at Hampden 10 years ago - absolute scum, with no respect for the sport or their opponents.  Hope we f**k them up so badly they disband.

8 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Goalkeeper

It would take a heartless b*****d to drop David Marshall for the opening game, but I think Craig Gordon is the better keeper and has ended the season on a far brighter note. I'd personally start Gordon, but think Marshall will get this game at least. 

Defenders

Tierney And Robertson are in. 

I think Hanley and Cooper are the best options to fill the remaining CB spots, but I'm not sure if they've played enough time together (if at all) to both start. I'd go with them but think it will be Cooper and Hendry like the Netherlands game. 

RWB, I think the criticism of Patterson on here has been a bit harsh and he made some dangerous attacking runs v Luxembourg. I also actually quite liked the look of Forrest there against the Netherlands; his end product was lacking but again I think he at least demonstrated he can be trusted to play the position without much bother.

Neither have much game time under their belt however and whilst O'Donnell is way behind the other two technically, he's grown right into this team over the last year and I think will guarantee a 6 or 7/10 performance at the very least. Out of all the squad I think he'll be the one pinching himself the most about being there and I think he'll have a good mindset. I'd pick him against CR. 

Midfield

McTominay and McGinn take up two of the three places, so likely a straight choice between McGregor and Gilmour. In McGregor's defence he was excellent in Serbia and worked very will with Ryan Jack, but in the absence of Jack doing dirty work and allowing him more time to play simple passes and press the ball a bit more, he has stuck out as one of our poorer performers. 

Gilmour looks like he will guarantee class and positional awareness, and I'd want him in to address one of our biggest weaknesses in that we too often treat the ball like a hot potato. I'd like to think taking him off right away after that tackle v Luxembourg was a sign that he had a big part to play against the Czechs, but I think Clark will stick with McGregor and keep Gilmour for England. 

Attack

Adams is comfortably our best striker; a reliable enough finisher and presses defenders well as evidenced by our equaliser in Israel. I'd be stunned if he didn't start. 

I'd then be tempted by Ryan Fraser whose pace caused CR real problems in the 1-0 win at Hampden, but since then he's had injuries and not had much gametime. 

I also like the idea of Armstrong playing off Adams given they play together on a weekly basis and seem to have shown signs of linking up well together (admittedly I can only immediately recall Southampton's cup win against Bournemouth, where the two of them ran riot). Like Cooper and Hanley though, I'm not sure they've played together enough for Scotland for this to be tried in the first game. 

Lyndon Dykes gives me the fear, not necessarily because of his performances but that incident against the Netherlands where he challenged a ball and left his studs in on the guy's lap - that's an immediate red card with VAR in play. I think he is prone to that kind of clumsiness and I think Clarke will be wary of that too. 

I think he will start Ryan Christie who has probably played the off-the-striker position most out of the other options. I'm not all that keen given his form since the turn of the year, but if he can replicate his performance in Serbia then perfect. 

Personally I'd go with:

Gordon 

O'Donnell; Cooper; Hanley; Tierney; Robertson 

McTominay; Gilmour

Armstrong; McGinn

Adams

Great post. The only thing I disagree with is that  "Adams is comfortably our best striker". That may well turn out to be true, but on the evidence in a Scotland shirt so far, there is very little between Adams and Dykes. As we all know, Dykes brings so much more than just goals, which he has demonstrated in big games. Not taking any credit away from Adams, but he hasn't really had the same test Dykes has. 2 goals against the Faroes and Luxembourg isn't enough to say he should definitely be the number 1 striker (yet) especially with the amount of chances he should have buried. Though Dykes was guilty of that too. I do wonder if Nesbit has a bit more of an instinctive poacher element to his game that Adams and Dykes lack. Maybe he would have walked away with a hattrick if he'd started. Who knows.

I personally would play 1 striker. I'd be happy with either Dykes or Adams. At the moment, Dykes edges it for me. But time will tell.

11 hours ago, Biscuits said:

What do they thinks gonna happen at a quarter full Hampden? The most poisonous Scotland atmosphere I can remember was v Ireland at Parkhead when McGeady (or was it McCarthy) got it absolutely stinking for the full game. This will be nowhere close to that. Even if Hampden was full I couldn't see it being more than a slight boo during the anthem. 

On 09/06/2021 at 19:25, Detournement said:

McGregor will start as he always does.

I think Hendry is nailed on for the right centre back slot. The decision is between Hanley and Cooper. Cooper played very well against Holland so I think he will get it.

This is my only fear.  I really don’t mind who Clarke chooses for most of the positions or what formation given that there is 3 games….    My worry is Hanley.  Against Luxembourg he made two big mistakes that against top opponents would be goals. Cooper looked very good against much better opposition in the Dutch.    

14 hours ago, Biscuits said:

They were wanting it moved a couple of weeks ago because Scotland’s covid rules determine that a single positive test could lead to the whole team being put in isolation. That’s why they aren’t training at Oriam anymore. 

29 minutes ago, Donathan said:

They were wanting it moved a couple of weeks ago because Scotland’s covid rules determine that a single positive test could lead to the whole team being put in isolation. That’s why they aren’t training at Oriam anymore. 

A misinterpretation of the rules which they've had repeatedly explained to them

14 hours ago, Estragon said:

I fucking hate them.  Ever since that 2-2 draw at Hampden 10 years ago - absolute scum, with no respect for the sport or their opponents.  Hope we f**k them up so badly they disband.

The penalty the Czechs got that day was an absolute joke. Terrible refereeing. 

11 hours ago, Coooombe said:

What do they thinks gonna happen at a quarter full Hampden? The most poisonous Scotland atmosphere I can remember was v Ireland at Parkhead when McGeady (or was it McCarthy) got it absolutely stinking for the full game. This will be nowhere close to that. Even if Hampden was full I couldn't see it being more than a slight boo during the anthem. 

the 2014 game with the Maloney goal? That was a great atmosphere - booing "Scots" in the opposition at International games is many things but I would not say it is poisonous, Unless you think they were getting boo'ed on the grounds of religion (which I would say is utter nonsense) and not simply because they elected to play for another country other than Scotland? Whatever the reason McGeady and/or McCarthy chose to play for Ireland is perfectly reasonable in my view; it is also perfectly reasonable to boo them at such meetings. 

the 2014 game with the Maloney goal? That was a great atmosphere - booing "Scots" in the opposition at International games is many things but I would not say it is poisonous, Unless you think they were getting boo'ed on the grounds of religion (which I would say is utter nonsense) and not simply because they elected to play for another country other than Scotland? Whatever the reason McGeady and/or McCarthy chose to play for Ireland is perfectly reasonable in my view; it is also perfectly reasonable to boo them at such meetings. 
The bit that I remember from that night wasn't the booing of the players it was at the folk in the Scotland end down beside the Irish fans that were supporting Ireland

14 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

The bit that I remember from that night wasn't the booing of the players it was at the folk in the Scotland end down beside the Irish fans that were supporting Ireland

In the clip of the Maloney goal you can see a quite a few sour faces in amongst the pandemonium in the stands.

Glorious viewing but tempered quite a bit by them going on to have the last laugh.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

There were a few fights that kicked off near me in the stand, I was in the end that the goal went in quite near the front. Looked more like Scots fighting Scots but there were a couple of Irish fans sitting behind me who kept their mouths firmly shut when the bother started.