Scotland v Czech

GW34

• 3 weeks later...

After watching tonight I think my team going into this first game would be:

......................................Marshall......................................

.....................Hendry......Cooper.......Tierney..............

O'Donnell......................................................Robertson

...............McTominay...McGinn....Gilmour...............

.........................................Fraser......................................

..........................................Adams....................................

Although I think Steve Clarke will have McGregor instead of Gilmour, Hanley instead of either Hendry/Cooper and possibly Christie instead of Fraser.

I wouldn't be adverse to having Patterson start but I feel it's quite tight at moment between him and O'Donnell 

21 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The Record has an article online suggesting the Czechs may be missing a couple of their usual defence plus the racist who is suspended.

Is it still the case that if they've got players out then the result basically doesn't count?

I'd pick 

Marshall

Patterson Cooper Hanley Tierney Robertson

McTominay McGinn Gilmour

Armstrong

Adams

Wouldn't be against Hendry in for Hanley and shift League One Liam into the middle

I expect Clarke to go with something like

Marshall

O'Donnell Hendry Hanley Tierney Robertson 

McTominay McGinn McGregor

Fraser 

Adams

If I was picking I’d go 

Marshall  

Hendry      Cooper      Tierney

Patterson                                                   Robertson

Mctominay  Gilmour

McGinn                           Armstrong 

Adams 

But I reckon Clarke will swap out Gallagher, Hanley, O’Donnell, mcgregor and Christie for my hendry, Cooper, Patterson, gilmour and Armstrong 

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

McGregor and Gilmour not necessarily mutuality exclusive - could be those two with McTominay, McGinn and 1 striker

That’s far too defensive for the first game IMO but I could see that at Wembley if we beat the Czechs and are playing for a point 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

That’s far too defensive for the first game IMO

This is a team that frequently folds like a cheap suit if it concedes first. There's a difference between defensive a la Levein ("scoring is irrelevant so long as my pals in the Daily Record say nice things about me" and e.g. Wattenacio ("my pals in the Daily Record will say nice things about me regardless so might as well try and win").

tbh my hope is that Clarke's apparent strategy of picking teams and tactics out of a hat is some Sun Tzu shit to leave the opposition guessing.

Whilst he's had a poor season domestically, I don't mind the thought of Christie in the team. Someone mentioned it in another thread but I can't find it, but he does seem to play well for Scotland and his pressing is actually really good to force defenders back the way.

That being said, he probably wouldn't be a preferred starter of mine but I'd have no real issues if he was picked.

Given that this match is, on paper, our best chance of grabbing 3 points I'd go with a more attacking team:

Marshall

Hendry        Cooper       Tierney

Patterson                                          Robertson

McTominay    Gilmour

McGinn

Adams               Fraser

We really do have a lot of options with the squad of players.