BERWICK RANGERS 2021/22

Pugsley

Some interesting points made by Newky Broon and Back Post Willie.

In response to Newky's point about the problems faced at Berwick because of Bonnyrigg's emergence, I think you could go back a little further to when Edinburgh City got promoted when the Berwick manager's gig became that little bit harder because there was a team in the Capital who could offer the Lothian-based players league football on their doorstep without having to make a 100-mile trip down the A1 for home games.

The training base in Haddington I'm told could always be a problem when trying to attract players from Edinburgh & the Central Belt when the City clubs were training on the doorstep. I think the club had looked at facilities in Edinburgh but it came down to cost and it was a lot more expensive than what the place in Haddington cost.

As regards bringing-in North East based players as Back Post Willie suggested you'll need to pay top dollar to get the mercenaries from the Toon to commit to making the journey up the A1. The likes of Blyth Spartans, Morpeth Town, North Shields and Ashington are all throwing serious money around down there and to temp the guys to have to go a further 50-60 miles north for home games plus the travelling for the away games is going to cost some big bucks.

1 hour ago, Back post Willie said:

Personally we would have been far better in the past looking at the North East than central belt but the wages and travel precluded this (that’s the financial and geographical bit I mentioned).

For a second there I thought you meant up Aberdeen way ......

I do know recruiting North East players now is not affordable and it was a push back in the heydays also.

My point I was trying to get across probably not very well was whoever is steering the ship ultimately has the destination in there hands and let’s put it like this if you are a painter and suddenly become without any experience or knowledge become the boss of a fuel refinery (for example) your new company will fail especially if you surround yourself with other painters.

15 hours ago, Back post Willie said:

if you are a painter and suddenly become without any experience or knowledge become the boss of a fuel refinery (for example) your new company will fail especially if you surround yourself with other painters.

In fairness the likes of Picasso, Rembrandt and van Gogh excelled in oils.

Recruiting some people from the North-East and some from the Central belt, then training in Edinburgh area, is hugely difficult as it makes it impossible to train together as a team. Worked in the past with the regular attraction of some 'big' games, but no chance in the Lowland League.

Recruiting all from the North East - and training there - will never work. Players expect higher wages there, and it would be a 100+ mile round trip just for a home match, and double that for all the away matches. Your average 21-year old footballer is not going to relish a drive down the A1 in January at Midnight on a Tuesday night in January, in order to play futty in front of 75 people in Cumbernauld. 

Recruiting everyone from the Borders and training in Berwick won't work as there are not enough players good enough for Lowland League level.

Recruiting all from the Central belt and training there is as good as it gets but to be successful we need a money injection, a really charismatic/persuasive manager and a shift in the live-for-now attitude that is today's culture. 

It is very very difficult. Currently, the club still has a reasonably loyal support, a strong history, good contacts, and half-decent finances. We could do with a lucky break and - as ever - a rich romantic fool or a winning lottery ticket.

All of these are perennial arguments that have plagued the club for decades. Put simply we are geographically challenged. Unless the prehistoric A1 gets fully duelled and somehow the current mob get their act together unfortunately the desire to play for Berwick will be unattractive. I can already sense an apathy hovering over us. Recent results and the lack of input on social media is obviously concerning. Most of the folk on here don’t even live in the Berwick area. Worrying times.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

How was fenton’s spell on loan?  He’s apparently close to returning to fitness and we could do with the extra cover at left back.

Did OK, but no more exciting than that. He did have one really good game shortly before he got injured and returned to you. 

Another away defeat today, and by all accounts (not for the first time against a decent team), the game was all over before we started taking part.  

New Chairman taking over in January. Hope he kicks several arses. 

2 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

I noticed as well we used the Stirling twitter feed, 

Doon Sarf here, there really feels like a lack of everything, and just going through the motions.

I really do hope the new Charirman, rattles a few cages and kicks some arse.

To be fair to Bob Hay, he did post a number of live tweets during the game. 

No 1881 club preview though and no post-match interview (yet). Always a tad reluctant to have a dig at social media content, as it relies heavily on volunteers, but it is certainly slip sliding away as the season progresses. 

On 27/12/2022 at 19:02, Redcar said:

To be fair to Bob Hay, he did post a number of live tweets during the game. 

No 1881 club preview though and no post-match interview (yet). Always a tad reluctant to have a dig at social media content, as it relies heavily on volunteers, but it is certainly slip sliding away as the season progresses. 

Yes I did see, that, but most sporadic updates were Stirling's

I also agree the volunteers do an absolutely fantastic job, but how much assistance do they receive from the club??

BUT case in point, how many posters do we see on here ?? There isn't that many post on the Grove to the Harrow facebook page. 

I would be interested with the reason for the general apathy?

Unfortunately time marches on, the stalwarts now few and far between, and I don't see much interest from even middle age folks, let alone youngsters !!

2 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

Yes I did see, that, but most sporadic updates were Stirling's

I also agree the volunteers do an absolutely fantastic job, but how much assistance do they receive from the club??

BUT case in point, how many posters do we see on here ?? There isn't that many post on the Grove to the Harrow facebook page. 

I would be interested with the reason for the general apathy?

Unfortunately time marches on, the stalwarts now few and far between, and I don't see much interest from even middle age folks, let alone youngsters !!

A number of posters from the past still read this thread and also the Facebook 'From the Grove' page. 

I believe one reason they don't post anymore is the near certainty of ending up being insulted by some smug twat who thinks he is clever and funny, but is really just a tosser, desperate for likes and laugh emojis. They display zero interest in debate, but manage to rule the roost for a while until they piss everyone off and it all fizzles out.

But.... Crowd levels held up well early in the season. Sadly they are drifting away a bit due to the shite football that we often produce, and that is also reflected in the lack of posts here and elsewhere. 

There is always hope! Currently in the form of a new Chairman, the transfer window and - fingers crossed - the return of easily our best player, David Ferguson. 

Edited by Redcar

There doesn't seem much input, I do understand the kiddiwinks and keyboard warriors but i though we could rise above that.

The results do often result in less input, however it always seems the case when shite results happen trouble is its the same year upon year, usually around Christmas too.

Doon sarf here i only rely on whats been put online as well as an occasional match, just lately its hard work, admittedly interested in developments with new chairman and what he can bring to the on pitch standards.

True , we await with baited breathe

Fully deserved 2-1 win against Gala today. Ended up a bit squeaky bum, but we should have had 5 or 6. Some poor finishing, some fantastic last ditch blocks and a few tremendous saves kept us to 2. 

Pyper and Travis were excellent, as were Buchanan, Barr and Nelson. Good crowd too - 372 I think.

Warm minutes applause at the start for George Thompson. Fitting that he shared it with the legend that is Pele. And fitting that Pele shared it with the legend that is George Thompson. 

Edited by Redcar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Good to see Berwick climbing the table. Great result for you today too.

A deserved stuffing of the people today, including a goal-of-the-season from Liam Buchanan.

12 of this squad have signed for next season, 5 wins in a row, a refreshing new Chairman, liquid gold pouring from the taps in the bog.

(Shame we were Pish pre-Xmas)

4 hours ago, Redcar said:

A deserved stuffing of the people today, including a goal-of-the-season from Liam Buchanan.

12 of this squad have signed for next season, 5 wins in a row, a refreshing new Chairman, liquid gold pouring from the taps in the bog.

(Shame we were Pish pre-Xmas)

A bit late for this season, but you'll be back. I demand it!