BERWICK RANGERS 2021/22

Pugsley

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Of the 15 players used, 14 are qualified for Scotland and 1 for N Ireland.

Good, need to make sure the Colts teams are kept honest and obey the rules since the League competition has zero integrity with their inclusion.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts started with 2 x 20 year olds, 2 x 19, 4 x 18, 1 x 17 and 2 x 16.  The 4 subs used were 1 x 18 and 3 x 16.

Hearts won’t win the league though and Berwick certainly won’t lol

16 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought that Hearts started tentatively, on a pretty poor, bumpy and very dry surface.  However, once they took the lead after 30 minutes, they didn't look back. The 2nd goal (penalty/DOGSO/red card) was just the trigger for the goal spree that followed.

Hearts Connor Smith (#7) was the best player on the park by some distance, but I don't think he will remain with Hearts B all season (He was Queen's Park's YPOTY on loan last season), so is capable of playing at a higher level than the LL.

It's difficult to read too much into the result from Berwick's viewpoint.  Their season will not be defined by their results against the B teams.

WTAF is Connor Smith doing playing for Hearts B?  He’ll learn nothing playing against Lowland League teams when he already has a couple of years of league experience.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

WTAF is Connor Smith doing playing for Hearts B?  He’ll learn nothing playing against Lowland League teams when he already has a couple of years of league experience.

You won't get any argument from me on that. He would give you at least a 7 out of 10 performance every week, unlike some of the overpaid fringe players in the Hearts squad.

I hear Arron Darge was the captain of the Hearts B team yesterday. He was on loan at Gala Fairydean last season. 

I'm generally not a fan of Premiership B teams in the Lowland League but I'm a Glasgow Warriors fan as well as a Shire fan and Arron's brother's the Glasgow Warriors back row forward Rory 💪

Edited by come on shire

27 minutes ago, come on shire said:

I hear Arron Darge was the captain of the Hearts B team yesterday. He was on loan at Gala Fairydean last season. 

I'm generally not a fan of Premiership B teams in the Lowland League but I'm a Glasgow Warriors fan as well as a Shire fan and Arron's brother's the Glasgow Warriors back row forward Rory 💪

Aaron learned some of his tackling skills from Rory. 🏉 ⚽ 😉

Hearts also fielded Aidan Denholm, who was on loan at Berwick last season.

3 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I’m not sure this was the answer our friend from Cowdenbeath was looking for. 😀

Nothing wrong in checking given the way the Colts treated the rules last year. I would expect Hearts squad to be nearly all Scottish, the other two less so.

Remember this is only about developing Scottish talent according to the LL Chairman.

Stuart Malcolm described his side's performance as 'atrocious' - losing 6-0 and having your captain sent off, he may have a point. 

Malcolm tried to address the glaring "soft-as-shite" nature of last year's team by adding experience, but raised various eyebrows when 3 of his signings had a combined age of 112. 

We Lost to Dunbar and scratched a 1-0 win over Preston Athletic in pre-season, so the Berwick bookies aren't being flooded with bets on the Lowland league championship trophy arriving next Spring. 

In 40 years of support, I've never been less enthusiastic about my first visit of the season to Shielfield Park. The team needs to urgently grow a pair of collective bollocks. But.... clinging desperately to any crumb I can find, a Berwick fan has said that the last time we lost the 1st game 6-0, we went in to be champions!

Stuart Malcolm described his side's performance as 'atrocious' - losing 6-0 and having your captain sent off, he may have a point. 
Malcolm tried to address the glaring "soft-as-shite" nature of last year's team by adding experience, but raised various eyebrows when 3 of his signings had a combined age of 112. 
We Lost to Dunbar and scratched a 1-0 win over Preston Athletic in pre-season, so the Berwick bookies aren't being flooded with bets on the Lowland league championship trophy arriving next Spring. 
In 40 years of support, I've never been less enthusiastic about my first visit of the season to Shielfield Park. The team needs to urgently grow a pair of collective bollocks. But.... clinging desperately to any crumb I can find, a Berwick fan has said that the last time we lost the 1st game 6-0, we went in to be champions!

Magnificent tonight stu
Football , bloody hell

33 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Magnificent tonight stu
Football , bloody hell

2 things I know about football 

a) f**k all

b) f**k all else.

Now looking forward to Saturday with knobs on.

Edited by Redcar

What a difference a day( or two) makes.
I too have had very little appetite for this season, with all the nonsense surrounding b teams,sponsorship and some of our ‘ senior’ signings. However I believe that’s the first time we have taken a a result off the green side of the old firm. Ever. And the first points from any of the B teams. With Pyper missing I gave us little to no chance but again, what do I know. 
Let’s hope they get stuck in to Gretna come Saturday.

On 24/07/2022 at 20:21, Brazilianlex said:

Nothing wrong in checking given the way the Colts treated the rules last year. I would expect Hearts squad to be nearly all Scottish, the other two less so.

Remember this is only about developing Scottish talent according to the LL Chairman.

There was really no rules last season.the s.f.a.and the lowland league brought the rules in together for this season.

Myself and 3 friends made the trip over to Berwick which is always a cracking ground to visit, quite disappointing that we seemed to be the only away fans there though, as i certainly didn't recognise any familiar faces.  

Our playing squad is a completely changed one, only one player from last season has survived, according to our chairman we have 6 first team players injured, who they are is anyone's guess as communication between the club and support is severely lacking, so who knows if we will improve drastically or not.  We have signed a host of players based in Edinburgh but on the evidence from yesterdays game & Stirling Uni last saturday its clear our best player is Russell Currie.

As for the game, Currie dominated the first half, i thought Berwick struggled with him and 2-0 flattered us at half time, Currie missed an open goal very early on and we should have really been 3 or 4 up at HT.  Unfortunately for us that's the best it got for us as we didn't turn up 2nd half! Despite a good comeback from Berwick we competely capitulated after half time.  Not impressed with anyone in the back 4 and i've seen that keeper ship 2 goals against Stirling Uni & was hugely at fault for Berwick's winner! Slighty more encouraging though that we are creating chances but Edinburgh Uni next saturday has already become a 6 pointer!

All in all a somewhat enjoyable away trip.  Thanks to Berwick for the great hospitality in the bar & lounge at Half Time, see you's at Raydale in February 👍🏻

Edited by gretnascotty