BERWICK RANGERS 2021/22

Pugsley

4 wins in a row for the 'gers. And a rare win against a team above us. Progress!

The long awaited return of Lewy Barr from a serious injury proved how much we've missed him.

MoM - head and shoulders above the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ablokecalleddave said:

Simple question, why don’t Berwick, or presumably any other Lowland League teams, have any fixtures showing, (on SofaScore),  in March?

Thanks in advance

a Berwick follower  in Spain…..

The dates were held back due to concerns over a COVID interrupted season. A lot of fixtures were front loaded into the early part of the season. The free dates are either going to be used to fill out postponements (of which there have been a decent spread to fill out the card) or the possible use for a League Cup group stage.

Berwick Rangers seem to have @ Dalbeattie Star, and home to Bonnyrigg league wise.

Should hear soon what the LL are going to vote for league fixtures or League Cup groups.

• 2 weeks later...

Another brill result at the weekend v Bo'ness. Delighted for the team and my fellow loyal supporters. Onward and upward now with (at last) a home fixture v Uni of Strirling on Saturday, weather permitting.

Fingers crossed for another good performance from the Dream Team to help us catch CSS for 6th place🤞

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Taylor-Mackenzie has left to join LTHV (personal/family reasons - genuinely needs to play nearer his home)

Conrad Balatoni has joined Berwick from Clyde. (On loan for this season, but pre-contract signed for next).

We've been crap in the cups, but despite a long injury list we've won 7 of the last 8 league games. Serial nutters have been duly silenced. 

EDIT - er, make that 7 out of 9......

Edited by Redcar

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2022 at 10:43, bravehearts dad said:

It’s all gone quiet on here guys. The punters unhappy? Thought the self proclaimed “No1 Goalie” had a great game (not) on Saturday.  Thanks to all at the club to allow The Rose fans their celebrations on Saturday.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

We were terrible. Had a number of injuries, so the back 4 was hastily cobbled together, but it was further up the pitch that we were especially disappointing. Soft as shite doesn't get close.

The gaffer was fuming in his post match interview. Against the better teams in the league,  some players look like they've resigned themselves to defeat before we kick off. Lightweight, scared to tackle, leave the hard stuff for someone else. 

Pleased for Robbie Horn, and I think Rose will do for whoever wins the Highland League, but might struggle against Beath. (Most people I've spoken to think it will be the other way round).

Less pleased for Robbie's ref-baiting and arrogant players.

Edited by Redcar

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I was able to join in on here, Blooming android phone!

So, takes a breath, what to make of this year?

I want to firstly a great big well done to those putting off field effort in to the club and those spending hard earned money. To the players who have bust a gut and the hardy few that have travelled the miles and been through thick and thin. I was really optimistic of a top six finish so take the OF out and we have it I guess.
But, although there are many, many good things going on the club, I am probably of the opinion that re-signing players who got us into this position are not going to take us any further. I was really hoping to add some quality perhaps X league players even somebody with a winning record. Whenever you come up against decent side in this league we hit a brick wall. Yes, there have been a couple of good results but Even against some of the lesser lights and on synthetic surfaces we have come undone I am not totally convinced the manager has a game changing head on him either. I may be one of a handful but I’m not totally convinced. He is no way short of passion and does deserve this next season, no doubt but he must see that some in the team are pretty average. And some of those are already re-signed, bizarre. I must question the directors as much as Malcolm for that.  Whilst i appreciate , signings may be forthcoming we seem to have re-signed some who have had a patch of form or that chase hard not necessarily have decent ability. We need a hard git in the middle. A-Greedy b up front and a goalie that takes control of his area. And we need them signed asap. We live in hope as this next season is crucial. 

2 hours ago, sammyreidloyal said:

Been a while since I was able to join in on here, Blooming android phone!

So, takes a breath, what to make of this year?

I want to firstly a great big well done to those putting off field effort in to the club and those spending hard earned money. To the players who have bust a gut and the hardy few that have travelled the miles and been through thick and thin. I was really optimistic of a top six finish so take the OF out and we have it I guess.
But, although there are many, many good things going on the club, I am probably of the opinion that re-signing players who got us into this position are not going to take us any further. I was really hoping to add some quality perhaps X league players even somebody with a winning record. Whenever you come up against decent side in this league we hit a brick wall. Yes, there have been a couple of good results but Even against some of the lesser lights and on synthetic surfaces we have come undone I am not totally convinced the manager has a game changing head on him either. I may be one of a handful but I’m not totally convinced. He is no way short of passion and does deserve this next season, no doubt but he must see that some in the team are pretty average. And some of those are already re-signed, bizarre. I must question the directors as much as Malcolm for that.  Whilst i appreciate , signings may be forthcoming we seem to have re-signed some who have had a patch of form or that chase hard not necessarily have decent ability. We need a hard git in the middle. A-Greedy b up front and a goalie that takes control of his area. And we need them signed asap. We live in hope as this next season is crucial. 

I agree. We improved this season, but nowhere near enough to beat the top teams. I was already disappointed in the number of players who were signed for 2 years, and now we re-sign Scobbie and Baker. That is almost all of the current non-threatening team signed on for next season, and whilst there are many good players in there, this squad needs more fight and quality. 

They may well improve. Also, continuity and team togetherness is important. On top of that, some of those that are contracted for next year may move on regardless. But I am currently underwhelmed and await some exciting signings to take the rest of these decent players to the next level. 

Edited by Redcar

3 hours ago, sammyreidloyal said:

We need a hard git in the middle. A-Greedy b up front and a goalie that takes control of his area. And we need them signed asap. We live in hope as this next season is crucial. 

30 minutes ago, Redcar said:

That is almost all of the current non-threatening team signed on for next season, and whilst there are many good players in there, this squad needs more fight and quality. 

They may well improve. Also, continuity and team togetherness is important. On top of that, some of those that are contracted for next year may move on regardless. But I am currently underwhelmed and await some exciting signings to take the rest of these decent players to the next level. 

For what it's worth, I think there's still plenty of opportunity to do that. I might be wrong but I count 11 players re-signed looking at our squad list page. Really, that still implies an overhaul ahead. There's plenty of scope to improve on what we have and you'd expect Malcolm will be looking to strengthen in the positions he's letting players go (and particularly those mentioned above), not just replace.

And as for those who are re-signed, I'm by and large fine with them too. Scobbie shown himself as more than capable when he finally got up to speed, and it sounds like he'll be more a coach who's there if needed anyway. Personally speaking I'm still unconvinced by Baker as I don't think he's shown he can do it against the better defences. But he's also hit double figures and would be a useful rotation option assuming we do find a new first choice striker. We're keeping our best players (presumably Denholm apart), keeping our decent players and keeping those who are a solid option - even if it may mean they're getting knocked down the pecking order and have to prove themselves.

With all that in mind, I personally feel like it's a bit of an overreaction to be worried about not having signed players when the season technically hasn't even ended yet!

1 hour ago, sammyreidloyal said:

Just seen today’s announcement, are we the new Loons?

The Loons lost their play off semi final. There may be a few more of their players getting a call from their old gaffer this weekend!

16 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

And as for those who are re-signed, I'm by and large fine with them too. Scobbie shown himself as more than capable when he finally got up to speed, and it sounds like he'll be more a coach who's there if needed anyway. Personally speaking I'm still unconvinced by Baker as I don't think he's shown he can do it against the better defences. But he's also hit double figures and would be a useful rotation option assuming we do find a new first choice striker. 

Was a bit surprised they offered extensions back in November, or was that a reaction to the Finnie debacle?

On players just didn’t want to single anyone out. I would say if Calum Smith wasn’t good enough or past it then Baker certainly isn’t good enough.. May he prove me wrong. Also hope that Anderson has the time left in his legs to take us to nirvana ( or Coatbridge)

6 minutes ago, sammyreidloyal said:

Was a bit surprised they offered extensions back in November, or was that a reaction to the Finnie debacle?

On players just didn’t want to single anyone out. I would say if Calum Smith wasn’t good enough or past it then Baker certainly isn’t good enough.. May he prove me wrong. Also hope that Anderson has the time left in his legs to take us to nirvana ( or Coatbridge)

I think Smith falls under the category of a striker that our fans seem to love because he 'puts himself about'. The difference between the two is that one hit double figures, the other hit 0. We had a 25-30 goal a season striker in Blair Henderson who was bizarrely widely disliked for 'not running enough', while folk admired the industry of shite like Andy Russell. And again, I'm not necessarily saying Baker is good enough - I just think he'd be a decent 3rd choice if we're going away to some dross and we need to rest a player or two but want someone who's proven at scoring against the weaker sides. 

No idea what to make of the Anderson addition. I expect he'll actually be more of a replacement for Scobbie with Tam seemingly now registered for emergency use only. Anderson's pedigree is tidy and provided you can read the game you generally seem fine at this level once you get match fit and up to speed, but my concern is that our defence was already chronically slow. If Pyper is next to him and Ferguson is on a side, we'll need another pacey full back and someone to protect the defence. A keeper capable of sweeping up balls in behind would be handy too.

I actually make that 16 players already signed for next season. 

Nelson, Anderson, Scobbie, Pyper, Cook, Balatoni, Ferguson.

Barr, Sinclair, Wright

Allan, Taylor, Harris, Stewart, Heeps, Baker

And none of them are keepers. Maybe Jack Cook may be encouraged to move on (he got very little game time towards the end of the season) and unless Jack Wright makes a miraculous recovery he will go too. There must also be doubts about Sinclair's fitness. So a little bit of scope to sign those important midfielders, a striker and a defender that hasn't yet got his bus pass. 

The problem area with the team has been in midfield. Without Taylor-Mackenzie and Sinclair it was incredibly lightweight. 

On 09/05/2022 at 23:53, Redcar said:

I actually make that 16 players already signed for next season. 

Nelson, Anderson, Scobbie, Pyper, Cook, Balatoni, Ferguson.

Barr, Sinclair, Wright

Allan, Taylor, Harris, Stewart, Heeps, Baker

And none of them are keepers. Maybe Jack Cook may be encouraged to move on (he got very little game time towards the end of the season) and unless Jack Wright makes a miraculous recovery he will go too. There must also be doubts about Sinclair's fitness. So a little bit of scope to sign those important midfielders, a striker and a defender that hasn't yet got his bus pass. 

The problem area with the team has been in midfield. Without Taylor-Mackenzie and Sinclair it was incredibly lightweight. 

Fair - I hadn't realised Cook, Sinclair or Wright were signed up. Similar to you I wouldn't be entirely surprised (nor devastated) if they were to be moved on. Sinclair is a decent player but it feels like you're never gonna get 30+ games out of him. As you allude to though, provided the signings are all for the starting XI, I think there's still enough room to manoeuvre. As I've said elsewhere though, I can't imagine us challenging yet.