Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

must be pretty shite having to indulge in Olympic level mental gymnastics to justify choosing to support the same football club (or maybe not post 2012, dohohoho) as, say, the same people that turned George Square into an utter shit tip the other day during their """celebrations""". Nothing celebratory about it tbh, just an excuse to act out their base instincts and be like chimps flinging shit at each other - almost literally, just replace faeces with half bottles of Buckfast or MD 20/20 and you get the picture.

edit: probably a joke to be made there about 8mile ha

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Stormzy said:

I'd agree with that but probably disagree with how much sincere sentiment is intended when people "express" themselves through singing songs. Most are daft young boys letting off steam, they don't really care about the sentiment, it's a tribal thing. I'd definitely agree with the criticism of adults that actively engage and encourage such sentiments and think that's certainly more noteworthy than the youngsters. 

Wasn't this also the case 20 or 40 years ago, when the people who are adults now were daft young boys themselves? Is this all going to die out by 2040? At what point does the genuine sectarianism kick in and the 'letting off steam' stop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Wasn't this also the case 20 or 40 years ago, when the people who are adults now were daft young boys themselves? Is this all going to die out by 2040? At what point does the genuine sectarianism kick in and the 'letting off steam' stop?

Probably at the point when people actually harm others rather than just singing songs. As has been shown by the title the problem yesterday wasn't sectarian violence it was some Rangers fans being arseholes fighting other idiot Rangers fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I'd agree with that but probably disagree with how much sincere sentiment is intended when people "express" themselves through singing songs. Most are daft young boys letting off steam, they don't really care about the sentiment, it's a tribal thing. I'd definitely agree with the criticism of adults that actively engage and encourage such sentiments and think that's certainly more noteworthy than the youngsters. 

You're probably not wrong, but the depiction of "young boys letting off steam" is one I'm almost certain you wouldn't apply to other forms of prejudice.

Genuine question:  why does it fit when the minority being targeted is Catholic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Probably at the point when people actually harm others rather than just singing songs. As has been shown by the title the problem yesterday wasn't sectarian violence it was some Rangers fans being arseholes fighting other idiot Rangers fans. 

By 'at what point', I mean 'what age'. But this miscommunication has just revealed to everyone that you set the bar for bigotry so high that anything short of actual physical violence wasn't real sectarianism in your book. No wonder we can't get any traction persuading you that there's a problem when you're okay with more or less anything short of knifing a catholic in a back alley in Belfast.

Unlike you, however, some of your Rangers compatriots do take umbrage at 'bigoted language' and call people out for being bigots when they thinks they're using it . Like this guy (although there may be some dispute about the meaning of the word in question):

On 06/02/2021 at 10:23, Stormzy said:

The fact you can't comprehend the fact you've used bigoted language earlier in this thread directed towards me when you were in hard man mode and now you've calmed down is pretty stupid. 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you know what a bigot is or what it is to be bigoted and I invite you to go and read your own posts towards me and then try and figure out why that term is applicable towards yourself. I'll give you a clue, it's amazingly enough censored on this platform... 

Edited by Aim Here
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Beg to differ. Kenmure Street should definitely have gone ahead out of necessity; there wasn't any other practical way of physically stopping the deportation other than the mass gathering outside the Home Office van.

Aye, to be clear, I totally agree with you on that, but numpties and apologists have used it for comparison, because by the letter of the law it was wrong. I should have said 'by law', none of these should have gone ahead. 

It's like comparing apples and oranges though. One situation was for the liberation of people seeking asylum, and the other was a huge, unnecessary gathering attended by a large number of academically deficient pond life. Two different, and completely incomparable things. 

For those who say it can't be one rule for one, and a different for the other - if the hordes had gathered in a safe and socially distanced manner, or even shown some respect for everyone else they might have had more sympathy. 

Violence, destruction and intimidation, however, are never going to endear you to the decent factions of society. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Focussing on the Ibrox club and their efforts to cut down/cut out on the sectarian element, or otherwise, here's three things they could do, but don't:

1) Get rid of orange on club gear, for everyone knows it's really 'Orange'. I recall the old club, around 15 years ago, producing guidance in a booklet handed out to supporters, advising them of songs to sing and requesting they use the colours red, blue and white and no others to show allegiance. Can't recall what that initiative was called.

2) Don't associate with supporters' groups or organisations which use sectarian references. Watching streams this season from Ibrox, I noted the sponsorship from the Heart and Hand podcast onscreen in the shape of a logo, and the excellent Clive Tyldesley mentioned them as choosing the player of the match. I've also seen Union Bears literature which is illegal, why the club allows them space in their ground escapes me.

3) In the past they've allowed some questionable banners to be displayed by fans, but this season I've seen LOL associated materials placed behind the goals. It's pompous behaviour from the club, and shows any inclusive drive to be a sham.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Thanks for answering and keeping it civil.

It wasn't a joke - I'm curious as to why you equate music festivals - you've mentioned them several times today - with yesterday's events.

Because he doesn't have an actual defence for them and is at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Serious question: how many times do Rangers get to celebrate their triumph by rampaging through the city centre?

That's three separate occasions so far since March. Have they finished yet?

Edited by Mr Heliums
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Focussing on the Ibrox club and their efforts to cut down/cut out on the sectarian element, or otherwise, here's three things they could do, but don't:

1) Get rid of orange on club gear, for everyone knows it's really 'Orange'. I recall the old club, around 15 years ago, producing guidance in a booklet handed out to supporters, advising them of songs to sing and requesting they use the colours red, blue and white and no others to show allegiance. Can't recall what that initiative was called.

2) Don't associate with supporters' groups or organisations which use sectarian references. Watching streams this season from Ibrox, I noted the sponsorship from the Heart and Hand podcast onscreen in the shape of a logo, and the excellent Clive Tyldesley mentioned them as choosing the player of the match. I've also seen Union Bears literature which is illegal, why the club allows them space in their ground escapes me.

3) In the past they've allowed some questionable banners to be displayed by fans, but this season I've seen LOL associated materials placed behind the goals. It's pompous behaviour from the club, and shows any inclusive drive to be a sham.

They could also start cooperating with the BBC,  rather than maintaining the years old ban on a reporter from working at Ibrox, for the 'offence' of reporting accurately on the arrests of fans for sectarian behaviour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think we ever got an answer from Stormzy about why he called Patrick Harvie a "freak". I can't see why he wouldn't just admit he's a homophobe since the mods have always been fine with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

I don't think we ever got an answer from Stormzy about why he called Patrick Harvie a "freak". I can't see why he wouldn't just admit he's a homophobe since the mods have always been fine with that.

Calling someone a freak is homophobic?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Probably at the point when people actually harm others rather than just singing songs. As has been shown by the title the problem yesterday wasn't sectarian violence it was some Rangers fans being arseholes fighting other idiot Rangers fans. 

Why do you think this kind of celebratory behaviour seems to be restricted to Rangers fans?

Setting aside the sectarian crap, which you appear to be in complete denial about, are there any other groups of supporters that have celebrated a trophy win after a long absence by wrecking their own city centre and fighting their own fans? 

Just admit that your club has a massive problem with sectarianism. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...