Bear on Bear action

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

It's not "someone" though, it's a significant section of the fanbase, and the culture itself, so another nonsense false equivalence there. There's no expectation of it happening at any other club. 

If I supported a club became a vehicle for people to propagate anti-Catholic racism, or any other racism or bigotry, then I would cease to associate with that club and those people because I am anti-bigotry. 

I didn't say you condone, I said you turn a blind eye to it. Which you do. Because you are not anti-bigotry. 

:) 

For what it’s worth, you categorically did state that I condoned it by supporting the team that I do. It was your first comment on it. Even if you’ve then tried to change what you actually meant, it’s safe to say we disagree with each other so I’ll leave it there. 

Guest TheJTS98
32 minutes ago, AJF said:

I really don’t understand how you can make that claim. As I asked, why would I stop going to games because other fans don’t share the same views as myself?

And as I asked, would you stop going to watch the team of your choice because another fan doesn’t share the same views as yourself?

You’ve claimed by attending Ibrox I condone sectarianism but haven’t been able to explain why and avoid my questions that oppose your view.

You'd have a point if Rangers were a normal club. But they're not.

It's not a true representation of how reprehensible Rangers are to say that 'another fan doesn't share the same views as yourself'.

Quick thought experiment here to show this. Imagine we're in a covid-free age and Rangers are  playing in the cup final on Saturday. What are the first five songs Rangers fans sing in the stadium? What songs do they sing in the pub before the game? How many of them would be socially acceptable to belt out in the company of decent human beings? How many would you be comfortable explaining the lyrics of (and their meaning) to a non-footballing father-in-law who knew nothing about Rangers? Would you choose to associate yourself with people like the general Rangers support in any other sphere of life?

Why on earth do you associate with this?

Edited by TheJTS98

49 minutes ago, AJF said:

You don’t accept that children are exploited to provide materials to the fashion industry? Sorry but that’s a fact.

Also why would I stop going to watch my team because a random stranger holds sectarian views? That’s simply punishing myself. Would you stop going to watch your team of choice because another fan does not share the same views as yourself?

The difficulty with this post, and it's a profound one, is the use of the word 'random'.

It's not random that a Rangers fan you don't know, holds sectarian views.

38 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It really isn’t. I’ve went out to plenty of pubs, clubs and festivals and not encountered or saw any trouble whatsoever which I’m sure is the experience of the vast majority of people 

If I was going somewhere where there was a 100% chance of it then I simply wouldn’t go. 

Right so just because you've not seen it then it didn't happen? Every weekend under normal circumstances people get into stupid fights up and down the country, if you've went boozing in any of the city centres on any weekend at any point then you're part of the numbers included that lead to the violence... by your logic that is. 

I'm sure the majority of people that were out and about didn't see any trouble either. As has been said a few times it seems most people went and enjoyed a jovial albeit raucous atmosphere and then left when things started to go sour. 

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sorry, but I think this post contains a fair bit of nonsense.

Anti-Catholic bigotry isn't an issue which afflicts people across the United Kingdom.  It's a hideous issue which blights a couple of corners.

In so far as it exists in Scotland, it is absolutely sustained by associations with football, and alongside this, through songs.

I've already acknowledged it isn't widespread across the whole of the UK.. 

What else was nonsense?

I don't think sectarianism in Scotland is sustained by songs. Take away the songs and the problem still exists. Change the words on the songs and the problem still exists. I think we probably broadly agree but you think the songs have more impact than I do which is a fair point to disagree on. 

4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Right so just because you've not seen it then it didn't happen? Every weekend under normal circumstances people get into stupid fights up and down the country, if you've went boozing in any of the city centres on any weekend at any point then you're part of the numbers included that lead to the violence... by your logic that is. 

I'm sure the majority of people that were out and about didn't see any trouble either. As has been said a few times it seems most people went and enjoyed a jovial albeit raucous atmosphere and then left when things started to go sour. 

No that isn't my logic at all. I would do you a paint by numbers version if i was convinced it would make a difference. 

This is the point. 

Every single person going to George Sq knew there would be trouble in George Sq, that they would likely witness it and that they would either take part of do f**k all about it. They included themselves as part of the mob effectively cultivating an environment for it to happen. Suggesting otherwise based on what happened last time is a nonsense. 

If i go out in Glasgow i'm not going with the intention of being in an area where trouble is guaranteed to happen or be part of the group who are involved in it. 

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

No that isn't my logic at all. I would do you a paint by numbers version if i was convinced it would make a difference. 

This is the point. 

Every single person going to George Sq knew there would be trouble in George Sq, that they would likely witness it and that they would either take part of do f**k all about it. They included themselves as part of the mob effectively cultivating an environment for it to happen. Suggesting otherwise based on what happened last time is a nonsense. 

If i go out in Glasgow i'm not going with the intention of being in an area where trouble is guaranteed to happen or be part of the group who are involved in it. 

That’s why I don’t leave #G12. The rest is a dump.

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

This is the point. 

But again if you go to a music festival you know there will be trouble, drunken disorderly conduct and violence yet you choose to go. It's a balance of risk and as I've outlined clearly plenty of people went and didn't get involved in the drama or poor conduct and left when it occurred. I don't think they are arseholes for potentially making a poor judgement call much like I don't think people that go to other events with large scale disturbances should feel guilt for attending or all be deemed as arseholes. 

39 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

A lot to take in there. Kind of like a renaissance painting.

As celebrations go, standing amongst thousands of people in the city centre with half a toaly in your y-fronts and a button mushroom for a cock is definitely an avant-garde and bold approach. Chapeau Billy, chapeau.