Bear on Bear action

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was the chance to end this once and for all, but Scottish football invited them back. Forget all the clamour for the moral high ground about which division they were allocated to. The clubs chose a route to maximise the spread of money during "the journey" and here we are.

Did anyone expect anything different?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

You don't think they would all up sticks and leave do you?

Well no, but many of them are defined by a warped notion of Britishness, which is explicitly opposed to Scottish Independence.  

I therefore don't see how their existence argues against independence.  Rather, it surely discredits Unionism.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

What did Rangers FC do to deter this "celebration"?

These people are Scotlands shame....and it is quite clearly, once again, not a tiny minority who are involved in law breaking. I really hope that the police strategy was to be softly softly but plan dawn raids on the thugs involved in violence - can guarantee their neighbours wont be coming out in a show of solidarity to pretocet them.

We live in a country where a "failed" yet senior politician, Murdo Fraser is actively encouraging fans to go out and celbrate in the streets during a global pandemic...he must be severely dealt with (but wont)

Incredible absence of Rangers fans on this thread.....come on, this is your support, your club embarassing the country......are you proud of these arseholes or are you going to continue to go to Ibrox (when allowed) and sing the bigotted songs that fuel this behaviour?  Maybe you are the type of person who comes on here stating "the SNP don't like football".....I can absolutely see why that might be the case

They're out in force on the main *** thread - it was a minority and all is well in their world is about the size of it.  

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

Back in Fergie’s days at St Mirren, we played the deceased version at Love Street just after promotion and the game was interrupted by Rangers fans fighting amongst themselves. Morons then and the tradition continues in the new entity.

Indeed.

I must have been about 12 years old then and it was the first time I'd ever seen anything like that. They invaded the pitch and started winding up Saints fans, as well as kicking the shit out of each other. Think the game was stopped for 10-15 minutes or so.

It would seem that the tradition of being bigot scum really is a big thing for Ra Berrrrs. 

3 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

They're out in force on the main *** thread - it was a minority and all is well in their world is about the size of it.  

I believe the phrase is, "these people are not representative of Glasgow The Rangers Football Club and all who sail in her".

That group probably comprises about 90% of the support, by this point.

4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Imagine getting up yesterday and heading out to celebrate your team winning the league for the first time in a decade knowing - knowing 100% - that the day was going to be a complete bigot-fest which would descend into violence without question.

And going anyway.

Being a Rangers fan in the 21st century is like being a modern-day apologist for apartheid South Africa or the Confederacy. It's a fucking bizarre thing for anybody in this day and age to be. And they take every opportunity to show us what they are.

I'm not one for this small minority bullshit. Rangers are a club built on bigotry and a sense of social supremacy. Everyone knows that. The concept of the 'normal/decent' Rangers fan is increasingly hard to stand up for as we move through the years. Being a Rangers fan means buying in to what Rangers is as a club and a social cancer. It's hard to justify that.

I genuinely find it odd.

Obviously not all Rangers fans are scummy, bigoted swine, but all scummy, bigoted swine are indeed Rangers fans, unless of course they support their sister club.

It's daft to say (as I know you're not saying by the way) that to be a Rangers fan is to at least condone or accept the kind of behaviour seen yesterday.  I know and genuinely like and respect plenty Rangers fans.  It's not fair to judge them for that kind of stuff, or even require them to offer condemnation as if somehow responsible for it.

Scotland fans can sometimes behave anti socially, when drunk.  I've even seen poor stuff from Queens fans at away games.  It doesn't for a moment make me reconsider supporting the teams I do, so - leaving aside the difference in scale - it's probably unfair to expect people to walk away from a team because of stuff they'd never dream of doing, themselves.

The thing I think I'd struggle with, however, is that there's nothing incidental in what unfolded yesterday.  It didn't just happen that way because Rangers is a big club with lots of fans.  It happened that way, as it did in Manchester, because the club has an explicit and carefully cultivated appeal for our society's scummiest elements.  

I'm not from a family of OF supporters, so maybe I'd see it differently if following one of them was part of my upbringing.  I'm guessing though, that even had it been so, I'd really struggle to identify with something that ugly, that provides such a focus for people so despicable.

It's bloody depressing though, that so many don't seem to see a problem.

10 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

Facilitating enablers. Every single one should be ostracised.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I genuinely find it odd.

Obviously not all Rangers fans are scummy, bigoted swine, but all scummy, bigoted swine are indeed Rangers fans, unless of course they support their sister club.

It's daft to say (as I know you're not saying by the way) that to be a Rangers fan is to at least condone or accept the kind of behaviour seen yesterday.  I know and genuinely like and respect plenty Rangers fans.  It's not fair to judge them for that kind of stuff, or even require them to offer condemnation as if somehow responsible for it.

Scotland fans can sometimes behave anti socially, when drunk.  I've even seen poor stuff from Queens fans at away games.  It doesn't for a moment make me reconsider supporting the teams I do, so - leaving aside the difference in scale - it's probably unfair to expect people to walk away from a team because of stuff they'd never dream of doing, themselves.

The thing I think I'd struggle with, however, is that there's nothing incidental in what unfolded yesterday.  It didn't just happen that way because Rangers is a big club with lots of fans.  It happened that way, as it did in Manchester, because the club has an explicit and carefully cultivated appeal for our society's scummiest elements.  

I'm not from a family of OF supporters, so maybe I'd see it differently if following one of them was part of my upbringing.  I'm guessing though, that even had it been so, I'd really struggle to identify with something that ugly, that provides such a focus for people so despicable.

It's bloody depressing though, that so many don't seem to see a problem.

This is quite a measured take on it and probably one of the more balanced posts I’ve seen on the matter. It’s nonsense when people say that I support any kind of bad behaviour of the fans by simply supporting who I do.

I have also seen quite a lot of Rangers fans condemning the behaviour as well so the generalisation of “they don’t see a problem with it” that some people are making is baseless.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

This is quite a measured take on it and probably one of the more balanced posts I’ve seen on the matter. It’s nonsense when people say that I support any kind of bad behaviour of the fans by simply supporting who I do.

I have also seen quite a lot of Rangers fans condemning the behaviour as well so the generalisation of “they don’t see a problem with it” that some people are making is baseless.

I don't mean that Rangers fans don't see a problem with what happened in George Square.  I'm certain that plenty do.

I mean that lots don't see a problem with what the club represents, perfectly knowingly, to lots of its followers.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

This is quite a measured take on it and probably one of the more balanced posts I’ve seen on the matter. It’s nonsense when people say that I support any kind of bad behavioural the fans by simply supporting who I do.

The generalsation is not baseless at all, but I am quite prepared to accept there some specific exceptions where *** fans did not participate nor condone. 

The end of the day, that is your club being represented and that is your fans.  This is how the rest of Scotland and maybe the world think of you. 

8 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

The generalsation is not baseless at all, but I am quite prepared to accept there some specific exceptions where *** fans did not participate nor condone. 

The end of the day, that is your club being represented and that is your fans.  This is how the rest of Scotland and maybe the world think of you. 

When you attribute the thoughts of some people to the whole group, then it is a baseless generalisation.

Furthermore, the vast majority of Rangers fans I’ve seen online have called out the idiotic behaviour when talking about it rather than defend it.

I fully appreciate that fans are there representing the club, and those who caused trouble have let Rangers down big time. They may not believe there are any consequences, but further down the line it could have.

The club will have massive hurdles to overcome in the future when they want to plan fan events, particularly around the opening of the New Edmiston House and any celebrations that come with it

Edited by AJF