Another St Johnstone European Tour!

Steve McQueen

On 30/05/2021 at 21:31, ArabAuslander said:

Turkish football has fallen in quality massively over the last 3-4 years. Galatasaray would be beatable opponents. Midtjylland and PSV are must avoids.

Midtjylland are having a lot of turmoil at the moment as well. Just change coach. Basically bottled the league as they had a decent lead not that long ago. Plus many of their best defenders are leaving.

22 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Random Danish town. 

Yes, Herning is basically a dive town with little to do. Cool little stadium though so definitely go if you draw them. Just if you want to make it a longer trip I'd stay all but the night of the game in Hamburg.

On 02/06/2021 at 11:57, PauloPerth said:

Not huge amounts of time to arrange things again in terms of travel, time off work etc.

The team we play will be a loser from the Champions league 2nd qualifying round, the second leg being on 27 or 28th July.  

The draw for our starting round, Europa League 3rd round, is on 19th July so it'll be a choice of two upto the 28th.

Our first leg is a week later on 5th (second leg on the 12th August).

The draw for the EL play off is on 2nd August, so we'll know who we'll be facing in the next round before our 3rd round tie.

Assume when the draw is made we will know home/away legs?

Yes for round 3 but for the play off its possible we could on the 2nd of August have a Home then away tie drawn in the Europa league and an Away then home tie drawn in the conference league . Planning for flight (If any are possible at all) will be very difficult and basically at 7 days notice. 

3 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Yes for round 3 but for the play off its possible we could on the 2nd of August have a Home then away tie drawn in the Europa league and an Away then home tie drawn in the conference league . Planning for flight (If any are possible at all) will be very difficult and basically at 7 days notice. 

Where are you seeing that we are at home in the first leg in the third round, I couldn't find it?  All I could see was that we will be the seeded team in that round.

I notice that if Scotland were one place higher on the coefficient list, we would have been entering a round later and therefore guaranteed group stage football.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Where are you seeing that we are at home in the first leg in the third round, I couldn't find it?  All I could see was that we will be the seeded team in that round.

I notice that if Scotland were one place higher on the coefficient list, we would have been entering a round later and therefore guaranteed group stage football.

im not saying that

What im saying is at the same time its possible at the same time to be in both draws with one tie scheduled Home then away and the other scheduled Away then Home so those looking to book time off to go away won't be able to plan at all.

Mind you it looks like unless we draw a UK based team its home games only for most fans unless you want to do a 10 day quarantine on return or even worse a team in the red zone and have to pay to stay in a hotel for 10 nights.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Of course, though that would've required us to win 5.5 more group stage games or 11 qualifiers since 2015-16, to go ahead of Denmark. Think every club - including your own with only one win out of four - could have done their bit to make that happen.

I thought in previous years the seeded team were home in the second leg, but not sure if that's the case for us here.

The matches are 2 months away so hopefully a lot changes by then, but at present there's not one mainland European country on the green travel list.

Would be ironic that our only hope of summer football trips would have been the Betfred group stages, and we're not in it!

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I thought in previous years the seeded team were home in the second leg, but not sure if that's the case for us here.

Only in the knockout stages, like when the group winners are seeded against the runners-up.

42 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

No the seeded teams are never guaranteed anything.

The standard procedure is to take one from the seeded bowl , then one from the other bowl and put the two balls in a third bowel and the draw out the tie.

Fairly unhygienic imo.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

No the seeded teams are never guaranteed anything.

The standard procedure is to take one from the seeded bowl , then one from the other bowl and put the two balls in a third bowel and the draw out the tie.

Think they can change things around if needed too. Seem to recall something a few years ago that if we got Red Star Belgrade in the next round, the ties would be switched to avoid a clash with Partizan also being at home.

Seems like there's a chance St Johnstone could be seeded if they drop down to the ECL play-off round.

Draw for the EL Q3 takes place on 19th July, a day before the CL Q2 tie, so they will draw the losers of PSV (29.000) or Sparta Prague (17.500). The ECL PO draw takes place on 2 August, again before the EL Q3 tie - so the coefficient used for the draw will be 29.000 or 17.500, hopefully that will be high enough to be in the seeded half to avoid the big guns.

Edited by Ginaro