Another St Johnstone European Tour!

Steve McQueen

34 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Is this the best result is St Johnnie’s history?

I genuinely thought they’d get pumped.

31 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Best result ever in Europe though if it stays this way surely.

30 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Drew 3-3 with Monaco who were much better than the Turks

Surely:

1971-72 UEFA Cup, First Round, 2nd leg
St Johnstone 3-0 Hamburg
(St Johnstone win 4-2 on aggregate)

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Surely:

St Johnstone 3-0 Hamburg

Yeah this is the dark horse everyone forgets. Did they not have a raft of World Cup Finalists in that squad? 

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Surely:

St Johnstone 3-0 Hamburg

Agreed, followed by the Rosenberg result. Getting through the round would contest with the Hamburg tie though.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Take a look at the Monaco line up.

I know they had a really strong team, but when you're 3-0 up you're going to be a bit complacent so that sort of result is more likely to happen. To go away to a massive club in the first leg and get a very deserved draw seems bigger to me.

Outstanding result that.

Looked like it was going to be a cricket score early on but there you go, Thats what we all love about football.

Hopefully you boys can get a result at home now with a full house in attendance to actually see some glory in the flesh for a change.

26 minutes ago, Jarballs said:

Was Ricky Foster actually not bad on co-comms or should I be immediately sectioned?

I actually quite liked him as well. He has a nice chatty approach, like you are just talking about the game with your friends.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah this is the dark horse everyone forgets. Did they not have a raft of World Cup Finalists in that squad? 

Not sure about raft but going by programme pen pics Uwe Seeler, Willie Schulz, and almost every player was full/U23/youth cap (including their Turkish 'keeper).

It was also your European debut.

Despite having lost 1st leg 2-1 interesting to read Willie Ormond's programme notes:

"I expect Hamburg to play a very defensive type of game this evening. They are basically a defensive side relying wholly on the fast break out of defence which they have perfected to a fine art. "[Pays compliments to formation and various players]. However despite the number of full internationalists, amateur internationalists and youth internationalists in their side, they still did not deserve to win the match in Germany. [Talks about St Johnstone dominating the game, hosts win being undeserved, a shocker from the linesman, and St Johnstone sticking to a policy of attack].

"Even if we go one up we will be going for goal all the time, and we will not sit back waiting for the final whistle to put us through on the away goals rule. The fans will be turning out to see as many goals as possible and it is our job to provide them. Despite our recent indifferent form I still think the boys can see us into the next round. I have complete confidence in every one of them and they all  know what I am expecting in return from them.

"The tie itself should be an exciting tussle full of incident packed drama, but I am sure we will go through".

No chance a manager writes a column like that nowadays! They'd be positively non-commital.

48 minutes ago, Jarballs said:

Was Ricky Foster actually not bad on co-comms or should I be immediately sectioned?

At first he was irritatingly talking down St Johnstone and not giving them a chance but by the time he accused a Galatasaray player  of acting like he'd been decapitated, he was in the good books 

Edited by ConcernedReferee

31 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I actually quite liked him as well. He has a nice chatty approach, like you are just talking about the game with your friends.

I also think he is very good as co-commentator (he talks well on the radio too)  Hope he gets more gigs as he is infinitely better than Charlie Mulgrew who was on half an hour earlier and was dreadful