Another St Johnstone European Tour!

Steve McQueen

There’s still a chance that Turkey may be moved to an Amber or Green list country before the game, but it’s a slim chance. I’ve gathered the main issue seems to be it’s a Hub for travel and people were using it as a get out for quarantine.

If I was the club, I’d begin chats with UEFA about where this neutral venue should be and push for a one off fixture.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, I mean as in actually being there. You're absolutely at it if you're saying experiencing us winning the double the way we did is in any way comparable to how it would've been to actually be at the games.

Undoubtedly the greatest season any of us will ever witness as Saints fans, and not one of us saw a single game in the flesh.

Stop trying to tell me how I should feel. I for one couldn't give a single f**k i wasn't in the ground, it doesn't make it less special in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

There’s still a chance that Turkey may be moved to an Amber or Green list country before the game, but it’s a slim chance. I’ve gathered the main issue seems to be it’s a Hub for travel and people were using it as a get out for quarantine.

If I was the club, I’d begin chats with UEFA about where this neutral venue should be and push for a one off fixture.

The UEFA documents on line state that the 26th July is the deadline for confirming the venues and the next UK government review is the 31st July

From speaking to someone at the club the meetings with UEFA and all clubs involved happened on Tuesday and its in UEFA's hands now. UEFA will make an announcement after the second leg of the champions league tie next week.

Looking with a glass half full, it could end being played in a cracking holiday destination on the green or amber list, with home and away bookending the trip. If the away leg was in Istanbul nobody would be able to go anyway.

Edited by welshbairn

43 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

As far as I can tell it's Westminster that decides? 

I suspect that there would be political capital in it to allow some sort of exemption and I think that they might if they could.

Where goes on the list; what category they go into; and - most importantly - what exemptions are granted for sports/performers/diplomats/campaigners/etc.; are Scottish Government decisions.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

Where goes on the list; what category they are put in; and what exemptions are granted for sports/performers/diplomats/campaigners/etc.; are Scottish Government decisions.

They haven't much choice but to go by London traffic light rules, otherwise people can just use English airports to bypass them.

Just now, welshbairn said:

They haven't much choice but to go by London traffic light rules, otherwise people can just use English airports to bypass them.

True. Issue here is primarily granting an exemption, not reconsidering Turkey's general status, obviously.

39 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

True. Issue here is primarily granting an exemption, not reconsidering Turkey's general status, obviously.

Have you got a source for exemptions not being a reserved decision? Not doubting you, just interested. 

In this case I'm sure the flights would be private and point-to-point so an exemption would certainly work, although perhaps the worry would be opening a can of worms/unintended consequences.

28 minutes ago, mizfit said:

There is nothing new there.

As far as i know the meetings etc were all done on Tuesday.

Its an over the top dramatic article in my view.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Looking with a glass half full, it could end being played in a cracking holiday destination on the green or amber list, with home and away bookending the trip. If the away leg was in Istanbul nobody would be able to go anyway.

I think both games will need to be behind closed doors to fit with the UEFA no fans travelling due to Covid ruling for all qualifying rounds this year.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

4 hours ago, realmadrid said:

I think both games will need to be behind closed doors to fit with the UEFA no fans travelling due to Covid ruling for all qualifying rounds this year.

This. UEFA have banned away fans from ties, and it's now in the papers that games at a neutral venue would be behind closed doors.

Scottish government offering assistance and seeing what they can do according to Robert Thomson.

I will believe it when I see it, but they’ve obviously been paying closer attention to this then I thought.