Another St Johnstone European Tour!

Steve McQueen

7 hours ago, The Marly said:
15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hibs will absolutely smash that team, they're several levels below even the worst of the diddies that our clubs have lost to.

Including Connahs Quay?

Yes, Connah's Quay were not a good team, but they did well in the Challenge Cup the year before and had beaten Stabaek from Norway in Europe previously. This is Santa Coloma's 18th season in Europe and their recent win over the 4th best team in Gibraltar was just the second time they had ever won a two-legged tie. Hibs are more likely to rack up double figures than to lose.

Edited by craigkillie

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

That was in the last 32 after we made it out of the group stages. Our group was Atletico Madrid, Lokomotiv Moscow, Copenhagen and Panathinaikos.

Lost the away games in Greece and Spain but 4 points from the home games was enough to see us through.

Did you attend either of the away trips? Sound like absolute belters tbh.

7 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Did you attend either of the away trips? Sound like absolute belters tbh.

I went to Madrid with a group of friends. It was great but a bit chaotic and hectic. We basically got the first flight out of Gatwick on the day of the game and then the first flight home the day after with no hotel room booked. Think if I was to do it now it would be a lot more relaxed and more fully planned!

In the spring Arsenal had to play Benfica twice at a neutral venue as Portugal was on the UK red list at the time.

Will that be the case for us if Galatasaray lose the champions league tie and we are forced to use the rules to avoid travel to Turkey or them coming to Scotland?

The loss of gate revenue, is compounded by a penalty from UEFA and having to travel twice.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

The herald just put up an article stating it’s a possibility.

I really fucking hope not as it’s a €50,000 compensation payment for it.

Plus the loss of the home crowd and the cost of 2 flights for 2 games behind closed doors. 

its the Scottish cup final all over again.

Turkey is the only European country on the UK red list I think.

As far as I can see, the only games played at neutral venues have been those which were supposed to be in Belarus, on account of their airspace being closed to all EU countries now after their state sponsored hijacking of a Ryanair flight.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

There must be other examples of this (red lists etc...) in the European ties that have been played so far? Have any other games been played in neutral countries?

Some of the ties involving teams from Belarus already have been played in neutral countries due to the EU air rules just now and the rules are the same as they were in the spring when Arsenal could not travel to Benfica and had 2 neutral games

Its covered in Annex I of the regulation which is available via the UEFA website

https://documents.uefa.com/v/u/BnDfKqZ_V9v_fMBLGLpf6A

It could even be played as a 1 game match 

In all cases, the venue of a match must be approved by the UEFA administration, which has the right to assign an alternative venue for any particular match or even to decide that either or both legs of the relevant round to be rescheduled (in accordance with Paragraph I.4.1) and/or played in a neutral country (within the territory of a UEFA member association) and/or organised as a single-leg. These decisions are final. In any event, the home club will remain responsible for the organisation of the match and all related costs