The long arse song thread

GNU_Linux

Sounds interesting. I seem to remember Blood Incantation having a song of similar length on one of their albums. As in, a proper song, not just the random cornucopia of nonsense that bands occasionally like to toss on at the end of CDs to fill up the space.

I read an interview with Anathema back when they were a Doom Metal band, where the interviewer expressed annoyance that their songs were all so long, to which they suggested just pausing the tape every three minutes. Sage words.

Have fallen out of my Prog Rock/Metal phase a bit in the last couple of years, but have enjoyed a fair few songs above the double digits mark.

My favourite prog rock album is Lore by Elder, with only one song just under the 10 minute mark. A go-to for studying and walking even nowadays. Their other albums are good too (especially their EP The Gold & Silver Sessions imo), but Lore is both the peak and indulges in the lengthy tracks relevant to the thread.

As for longest songs I've listened to frequently, 'Big Black Dog' by Motorpsycho is 22 minutes,  and have used it to fall asleep multiple times. 'Anesthetize' from Porcupine Tree is another one I've heard a number of times, one of the better on their great album Fear of a Blank Planet, and clocking in at 17 minutes.

Also enjoy the album Citadel by Ne Obliviscaris quite a bit, 48 minute album composed of 3 songs, two of which are split into multiple parts to officially make it an album. Dunno if that full counts, but the music in that album is downright beautiful at times.

63 minute opus that was originally released in 1999 under the album name 'Jerusalem' & split into 6 tracks which were remixed against the band's wishes with a reduced run time of 52 minutes due to their label not wanting to release a single track album. Got a single track unabridged release first in 2003 with a further remaster in 2012 via Southern Lord Records.

(drugs are bad m'kay)

Edited by GNU_Linux