Bands re-doing their own songs

scottsdad

I was listening to the original Here Comes The Flood by Peter Gabriel today and brought this to mind. The original has heavy production on it, and Gabriel was reportedly unhappy with it and re-recorded it in a much stripped down version later on. 

Joe Walsh also re-recorded one of his own songs, Turn to Stone. A slow-ish version is on his Barnstorm album, but for his So, What? album he recorded a slightly faster version and released it as a single. 

So I thought this might make a thread - what other artists have re-recorded their own songs to make them different? 

There are also plenty of live versions of songs being different to the originals. Bruce Springsteen's live Born in the USA is well different to the album version. The Eagles acoustic Hotel California is class, but again a different twist on the original.

What others are there?

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I was listening to the original Here Comes The Flood by Peter Gabriel today and brought this to mind. The original has heavy production on it, and Gabriel was reportedly unhappy with it and re-recorded it in a much stripped down version later on. 

Joe Walsh also re-recorded one of his own songs, Turn to Stone. A slow-ish version is on his Barnstorm album, but for his So, What? album he recorded a slightly faster version and released it as a single. 

So I thought this might make a thread - what other artists have re-recorded their own songs to make them different? 

There are also plenty of live versions of songs being different to the originals. Bruce Springsteen's live Born in the USA is well different to the album version. The Eagles acoustic Hotel California is class, but again a different twist on the original.

What others are there?

On the Bruce Springsteen point, the live version of Johnny 99 is fantastic. Would be great to have an electric studio version.

Squeeze did it on an album called Spot the Difference - when I heard they were doing this, I thought it was a pish idea.

But. it turns out they did it so they could own the rights to their own recordings - prior to that, their record companies had been granting permission for the use of Squeeze material for all sorts of things that the band had no knowledge of - now, if anyone wants to use Squeeze tunes for movies, adverts, etc, they can approach the band for their express permission, and work out a deal.

The recordings are very faithful to the originals, but they're not quite the same, obviously.

Love Squeeze. 

Chris Rea also did likewise on an album called New Light through Old Windows or something. 

I remember back in the 80s Iron Maiden re-recorded some Paul Dianno era songs with Bruce Dickinson singing and put them out as B-sides IIRC.

Sounded vastly inferior and was not repeated AFAIK.

Well Taylor Swift is re-recording her old stuff as a GIRFRY to some manager or publisher.  Also Let it be naked was released as Paul McCartney was pissed of about the talented but troubled Phil Spectors version.  The version of across the universe is probably better on that one.

After they released Nurse, Therapy? spent a while adding re-recorded versions of tracks from Nurse on the singles they released to support it, which were new songs that weren't on Nurse (and were, mostly, very good). No idea exactly why, but the production on Nurse was a bit...odd, and the singles versions were better.

Therapy? were a great band until they started dressing up like Chintzy Elvis and disappeared even further up their own arses.

Meshuggah originally released their album 'Nothing' in 2002 but touring commitments meant the album had to be mixed in two days & mastered in only one. The drums & guitars were re-recorded for a remaster released in 2006.

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Did Metallica ever get around to re-recording ...And Justice for All?

...And Justice For All but it's enhanced with the magnum opus of drum sounds that is 2003's St Anger.

Also someone on the internet did the hard work already for Metallica:

Dead Kennedys recorded a sleazy lounge version of California Uber Alles on the In God We Trust, Inc. EP, called We've Got A Bigger Problem Now. Lyrics were updated to insult (and warn about) Ronald Reagan, which was the fashion at the time.

Any excuse to listen to Dead Kennedys again, frankly. Pictured here in happier times before Jello ripped them off and everyone else went off on a retirement tour.

Not quite the same band exactly, although it's hard to tell, but The Parliaments' lo fi leftfield sixties soul classic I Wanna Testify was re-recorded as a full on funk extravaganza by Parliament in the 70s. 

Edit- here's a more psychedelic rocky version, kind of prototype funkadelic sound, from a time halfway between the two vinyl versions. From 3.05.

Edited by coprolite
Clip

I always wished Slayer would re-record their first album, Show No Mercy. It was the only one I never liked and, as they played the songs live and changed them over time, they became much better.

First time I heard songs like The Antichrist was on the Decade of Aggression live album, and it was a huge disappointment when I finally heard the original versions  :lol:

On 14/05/2021 at 20:45, Lofarl said:

Well Taylor Swift is re-recording her old stuff as a GIRFRY to some manager or publisher.  Also Let it be naked was released as Paul McCartney was pissed of about the talented but troubled Phil Spectors version.  The version of across the universe is probably better on that one.

The versions of Get Back & Let It Be on the original elpee are different from the singles which were both produced by George Martin and his production of Across The Universe was also released before the band broke up.

The Beatles also released German language versions of She Loves You & I Wanna Hold Your Hand for release over there which are now available on various compilation albums.

There are  so many different versions of Beatles recordings available now since the Anthology series was released back in the 90s and I usually buy them as Sir Paul obviously needs the money. although rumours were George Harrison needed the money at the time due to Handmade Films (Life of Brian etc) being mismanaged.

Edited by btb

Speaking of which, Latino artists generally release versions of their songs in both Spanish and English. Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera are the first names that spring to mind. Shakira too?

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Speaking of which, Latino artists generally release versions of their songs in both Spanish and English. Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera are the first names that spring to mind. Shakira too?

German artists often do the same, but in German not Spanish obvs.

Peter Schilling, Nena and Kraftwerk all spring to mind. 

Edited by Paul Kersey