St. Johnstone vs. Livi

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

"We've not got the youth academy for the UEFA club licencing. That was meant to have started up last March but then Covid hit. Part of getting the UEFA criteria is that you've got to have a youth academy."

Thought it was because the accounts weren't filed in time?

I think they failed on both criteria.

7 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

"We've not got the youth academy for the UEFA club licencing. That was meant to have started up last March but then Covid hit. Part of getting the UEFA criteria is that you've got to have a youth academy."

Thought it was because the accounts weren't filed in time?

I'm imagining that all got sorted with the extension. We were meant to have an academy set up and fully running in March using the Dykes money but COVID has absolutely fucked us. We've lost 2.3m or so even with 1.6m up front for Dykes. Can imagine other clubs with more fans will be hit a lot harder

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think they failed on both criteria.

Interesting that he picked that one to mention then.

TBF to the Livi boys here I'd be spewing if a Saints manager came out and basically said that they were happy enough with losing a game to get into Europe. Not sure if it's true or just saltiness but still what an odd position to take. 

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Interesting that he picked that one to mention then.

TBF to the Livi boys here I'd be spewing if a Saints manager came out and basically said that they were happy enough with losing a game to get into Europe. Not sure if it's true or just saltiness but still what an odd position to take. 

Our Facebook group is a bit of a laugh just now :D Folk accusing him of chucking it since the split to avoid Europe. 

If he says the exact same thing in two weeks time, off hand, after a signing no one bats an eyelid. I can see where he's coming from as fans/players would be raging if we qualified but couldn't play. I could see players wanting out etc

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm imagining that all got sorted with the extension. We were meant to have an academy set up and fully running in March using the Dykes money but COVID has absolutely fucked us. We've lost 2.3m or so even with 1.6m up front for Dykes. Can imagine other clubs with more fans will be hit a lot harder

Fair point on the Academy. Re the accounts my understanding is that there's a Companies House extension for filing (Scotland) but that's nothing to do with UEFA's regs. May well have been OK on appeal. Academic now I guess, main point was it's odd to go to the press suggesting there's an upside to not winning. 

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Our Facebook group is a bit of a laugh just now :D Folk accusing him of chucking it since the split to avoid Europe. 

If he says the exact same thing in two weeks time, off hand, after a signing no one bats an eyelid. I can see where he's coming from as fans/players would be raging if we qualified but couldn't play. I could see players wanting out etc

He was his usual animated self on the touchlines from what I could see. 

Probably just looking for a positive angle, which managers do all the time. Just not sure that was the right angle to take!

(And that's from a club who has an owner that moaned that being in Europe cost us money AFTER we qualified!)

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Fair point on the Academy. Re the accounts my understanding is that there's a Companies House extension for filing (Scotland) but that's nothing to do with UEFA's regs. May well have been OK on appeal. Academic now I guess, main point was it's odd to go to the press suggesting there's an upside to not winning. 

Yeah we'd probably missed that then. I'm hoping we can get a decent academy on the go but apparently it costs 400k per year to run one which meets UEFA regs, currently we operate on a 1st team budget of 1.2m per year. For that to even work out we'd need to be producing 5/6/7 first team players a year that can get you top 6. 

On that scenario.Saints or Livi won't achieve that goal.Martindale has already said Euro qualifacation would probably cost us in the long term.Hes saying it as most Livi fans look at it would agree..Saints have the chance to do something special. Its gone for us.Go and do it.Over to yous.We were  underdogs against them and prevailed.Good luck.

29 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

On that scenario.Saints or Livi won't achieve that goal.Martindale has already said Euro qualifacation would probably cost us in the long term.Hes saying it as most Livi fans look at it would agree..Saints have the chance to do something special. Its gone for us.Go and do it.Over to yous.We were  underdogs against them and prevailed.Good luck.

👍

5 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

Haven't seen the post match interview. But most Livi will agree with you.If that was acceptable considering what was at stake i fear for us next season,regrettably. 

You feared for us this season too Troy, prob last season as well.😂

Tbf, until Holt left it did look like we'd be in a fight to stay up, Martindale's incredible start to management shot us up to 5th, and got us a cup final, that was some turn around for us, and gave us another comfortable end to the season away from the relegation dog fight. It will be difficult to match the last 2 seasons, but i think we'll be fine, defensively we looked a lot better, defending set pieces too, and Obileye & Montano look decent signings.

My fear knows no abounds as you know L/F.But I'm realistic enough to see that most seasons our expectations should be tapered due to the size of club we are.We have pleasantly surprisingly punched above our weight the last two seasons and hopefully next season we continue to defy the odds.

58 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

We have pleasantly surprisingly punched above our weight the last two seasons and hopefully next season we continue to defy the odds.

I wish people would stop with this shite, you haven't punched above your weight. You've simply built a half decent side with players who perform to their capabilities. That cannot be said about a fair few others in the league, you are where you are on merit and f**k all the rest.

12 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I wish people would stop with this shite, you haven't punched above your weight. You've simply built a half decent side with players who perform to their capabilities. That cannot be said about a fair few others in the league, you are where you are on merit and f**k all the rest.

This. People say we punch above our weight every single year. If we do it every year, is it not just our weight? 

Edited by Kyle

Similarly, I tend to get annoyed with the (usually older) Saints fans who say that the ungrateful younger generation shouldn’t criticise any poor performances because we’ve been performing above expectations and things used to be a lot worse in ‘the old days’.

Things change. We are a good team now and we should be constantly striving for improvement. That’s what sport is about.

42 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

That punched below their weight? ;)

This group certainly haven't performed to their capabilities for the last couple of months.Bigger picture we've had a better season than I anticipated. Livi fans recognise that we have punched above our weight. Every season we're most pundits bet for relegation at the start.And for some next season will be no different. 

2 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

This group certainly haven't performed to their capabilities for the last couple of months.Bigger picture we've had a better season than I anticipated. Livi fans recognise that we have punched above our weight. Every season we're most pundits bet for relegation at the start.And for some next season will be no different. 

Seriously, what the f**k do the pundits know?

c***s like Keith Jackson? You actually believe the shite he says?

You know what, aye f**k it, you boys punch well above your weight. Certainly in the lack of brain power if you think along those lines.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Seriously, what the f**k do the pundits know?

c***s like Keith Jackson? You actually believe the shite he says?

You know what, aye f**k it, you boys punch well above your weight. Certainly in the lack of brain power if you think along those lines.

It's a chronic thing amongst certain Livi fans these days. We aren't allowed to complain because we need to remember where we were 4 or 5 years ago. We need to remember getting relegated by Stranraer into League 1 and it isn't as bad now as it was back then so no one can complain. It's fucking annoying