The 2021/2022 Championship

At the moment we've got a good first 11 or so but losing Hamilton, Odoffin, McMann and Callachan will/would change that quite a bit. Templeton will also either be PotY or play two games.

It obviously depends on signings but I could see this being used as a transitional year where they just take a risk on the youngsters being good enough to get mid-table.

It'll all depend on the transfer business but Killie looked absolutely terrible and if Hamilton were somehow worse than them then neither of those sides will be running away with the league next season. If Dunfermline new German overlords open the cheque book then the division could be there's for the taking. I expect it'll be a very close league next season at the top end.

For the first time in 3 seasons there's no clear favorite at this stage IMO.  By that I mean there's no club(s) who are going to throw stupid money at players to guarantee they win the league.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It'll all depend on the transfer business but Killie looked absolutely terrible and if Hamilton were somehow worse than them then neither of those sides will be running away with the league next season. If Dunfermline new German overlords open the cheque book then the division could be there's for the taking. I expect it'll be a very close league next season at the top end.

Yeap, it’s going to be very interesting.

Killie seem to be a total mess so could struggle especially with a major rebuild needed. Not sure if they will have cash to throw at it to try and go straight back up? I’ve said earlier in this thread that I think Hamilton will be mid table.

Dunfermline, Raith and The Caley will all firmly be looking to build on last season and will see the title realistically up for grabs for the first time in years.

Partick will not just want to be avoiding relegation and can see them wanting to make a push for the playoffs. Will QoS have the dobbie wages freed up to spread around the squad? If so they will surely be looking for a top half finish too. Ayr will be wanting to forget last season and try to replicate what the previous 2 had produced.

I think Morton are going to struggle and who knows what Arbroath will be like. They always produce a competitive team.

Guest Flash

There might be no clubs with outside investors ploughing money in but there is still quite a big difference in prize money between the relegated teams and the rest. Killie will get something like £1.9million in prize money, Accies will get about £1.6 million, whereas Raith will get about £460,000 and Queens will get about £260,000.  Of course, it depends who you spend it on but that is a decent head start.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

There might be no clubs with outside investors ploughing money in but there is still quite a big difference in prize money between the relegated teams and the rest. Killie will get something like £1.9million in prize money, Accies will get about £1.6 million, whereas Raith will get about £460,000 and Queens will get about £260,000.  Of course, it depends who you spend it on but that is a decent head start.

Depends how the money is distributed (I seem to remember from last season that a portion is distributed upfront, and the balance is given once final positions are known?) and also how much the clubs budgeted for.  Can't imagine Killie budgeted for receiving 11th place prize money, whereas the Raith chairman has already stated that we had budgeted to finish 7th this season.  £1.6m will have been the absolutely minimum these clubs will have received, so will imagine that will have been baked into any expectations long before now.

Edited by CALDERON

Guest Flash
10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Depends how the money is distributed (I seem to remember from last season that a portion is distributed upfront, and the balance is given once final positions are known?) and also how much the clubs budgeted for.  Can't imagine Killie budgeted for receiving 11th place prize money, whereas the Raith chairman has already stated that we had budgeted to finish 7th this season.  £1.6m will have been the absolutely minimum these clubs will have received, so will imagine that will have been baked into any expectations long before now.

I thought clubs would budget for a season based on an expected finish but use the prize money from the previous season to pay the wages. So, say they finished 6th in the Premiership, they might be prudent and budget for a bottom half finish the following season but they would use the prize money from the season before to fund the current season.
I didn’t realise they spent all the prize money for the season as they went along.

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Berra isn’t going to play every week though, is he? He’ll be probably third, maybe fourth choice.

Behind who, exactly? 

Absolutely no offence but why would would Berra leave a club like Hearts - for Raith - to sit on the bench (or not even make the bench) he'd have plenty of other offers of first team football elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Ah yes, the famous watertight defence he is joining. 

That's the point I was kind of trying to make. I can't see how he makes it any better unless you move on the other 3 and build around Berra. 

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

I thought clubs would budget for a season based on an expected finish but use the prize money from the previous season to pay the wages. So, say they finished 6th in the Premiership, they might be prudent and budget for a bottom half finish the following season but they would use the prize money from the season before to fund the current season.
I didn’t realise they spent all the prize money for the season as they went along.

I might be wrong, but I'm sure I remember hearing about it during the Covid Pandemic last year and the whole call the season/prize money debate.  Some of the clubs were mentioning that they depend on a portion of the prize money as the season goes on, and that everyone gets paid the minimum amount, then adjustments are made due to placings.

I am basing all of this on my memory, which may be complete nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Behind who, exactly? 

Absolutely no offence but why would would Berra leave a club like Hearts - for Raith - to sit on the bench (or not even make the bench) he'd have plenty of other offers of first team football elsewhere. 

That's the point I was kind of trying to make. I can't see how he makes it any better unless you move on the other 3 and build around Berra. 

There is a reasonable possibility that only Benedictus will remain from the centre backs of last season tbh.  Mendy is gone, Davidson will leave (I assume) and Musonda is out of contract. 

Guest Flash
6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I might be wrong, but I'm sure I remember hearing about it during the Covid Pandemic last year and the whole call the season/prize money debate.  Some of the clubs were mentioning that they depend on a portion of the prize money as the season goes on, and that everyone gets paid the minimum amount, then adjustments are made due to placings.

I am basing all of this on my memory, which may be complete nonsense. 

No, you’re right enough. I’ve just misunderstood how clubs work.

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

There is a reasonable possibility that only Benedictus will remain from the centre backs of last season tbh.  Mendy is gone, Davidson will leave (I assume) and Musonda is out of contract. 

If Musonda signs a new contract, I think we will see a back 3 in a decent number of games next season. Berra in the centre with Bene and Musonda either side as the other centre backs. MacDonald (assuming he goes full time with us) and Tumilty seem pretty well suited to playing wing back.