The 2021/2022 Championship

So, apart from the play-offs this season's nearly over now and we've a few barren weeks coming up - so what's folks views on next season's Championship?  To get the ball rolling ....

1 - Hamilton - dropping down - always have a good youth conveyor belt - no doubt a title contender

2 - Dundee/Killie/Ross County - one of these three will be in it - and whichever one will be a title favourite

3 - Dunfermline - may have a bigger budget if the new owners inject some cash - a title contender you would think

4 - Raith Rovers - (sorry Rovers - I'm guessing that you won't overhaul Dundee now) guided again by the wise head of J McGlynn at the helm - played some great stuff this season and likely to be a promotion play-off candidate

5 - Partick Thistle - expect to be strong next season - will have one of the larger budgets - certainly a promotion play-off candidate if not a title chaser

6 - ICT - not sure of their budget strength for next season - hope wee Robbo is OK and back in the dug out - but you'd expect them to be a promotion play-off candidate too

7 - Ayr United - I'm guessing they'll have one of the smaller full-time budgets and could be involved again in the battle to avoid the trap-door play-offs

8 - Arbroath - have done superbly well yet again as the best of the part-time sides under the guidance of "The Bunnet" - can they keep it going?  Why not?

9 - QOS - likely to have the smallest full-time budget again - and faced with a total squad re-build again - so dancing around the trapdoor looks likely as usual

10 - Morton/Airdrie - I can't call this play-off at all, other than to think that this Morton side are hard to beat and apologies in advance but I know hee haw about the Airdrie side - would imagine that the winners of this will be battling for mid-table security along with Ayr, Arbroath and QOS.

Other than the teams - will fans be back in the grounds?  Will  travelling fans be allowed?  Will PPV continue?  Will BBC Scotland bother their erse with the Championship now that the Hertz have departed the land of diddieness?

Fill yer boots as they say ...... 😏

If fans aren’t back in it’s an absolute joke. 

As for the rest so many good away days. Every one near enough. 

Team wise I think we’ll be decent. DC has said he wants to pick it up a notch, I believe we were close to signing players on loan from the English Championship but DC made mistakes with the rules. So he’s trying to take us to the next level and hopefully the town picks up the support even more. Totally different attitude towards the club the last 6/7 years. Over 1000 home supporters every game, obviously even more for the bigger games which is good for a PT club. Hope that continues to pick up and we continue to crack on.

On the rest it’s going to be a tough division and we will be written off right away. I imagine we will probably be in a battle with QotS, Morton/Airdrie, Ayr and there’ll probably be another side who have a Falkirk/Partick type season that you wouldn’t expect.

Not so sure on Hamilton, I think it’ll be play off winner/loser and Dunfermline going for the league. Dunfermline just need a keeper and a manager and they’ll be good. Can’t wait already.

I think Partick will be up there tbh. McCall will still be drilling that sense of “injustice” his his players to create some sort of siege mentality and I think he’ll be ambitious when it comes to recruiting players.

I think Raith could struggle depending on who they lose. Hendry looks like an almost certainty to be away and I think Armstrong is out of contract as well. It’s only two players but it’s two very crucial players who will be hard to replace.

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If fans aren’t back in it’s an absolute joke. 

Fans will be back into grounds from next week.

If fans are stopped going it will be due to the Covid death rate peaking again, I don't think people will be laughing if this happens.

Will be interesting how we fair next season. From memory the likes of Ayr and Arbroath had good first seasons when coming up then maybe struggled a bit thereafter. Confident McGlynn will get the right personel in to allow us to keep pushing for a promotion playoff spot at least.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Fans will be back into grounds from next week.

If fans are stopped going it will be due to the Covid death rate peaking again, I don't think people will be laughing if this happens.

That’s a whole different subject that I don’t want to get into but there should be no going backwards from this point. 

As the only part time team in the division we’ll be the bookies’ favourite for relegation, but on the other hand we’re much less likely to have a bad run, sack our manager and go into meltdown. Which 2 clubs will it be this season? Without Hearts the title race could be quite open - unless Killie come down in which case with Tommy Wright able to build a squad I think they’ll walk it.

12 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

As the only part time team in the division we’ll be the bookies’ favourite for relegation, but on the other hand we’re much less likely to have a bad run, sack our manager and go into meltdown. Which 2 clubs will it be this season? Without Hearts the title race could be quite open - unless Killie come down in which case with Tommy Wright able to build a squad I think they’ll walk it.

As others have noted, if County come down, they will spend shedloads to bounce straight back up. If Dundee stay down they'd likely be favourites next year along with Dunfermline.

6 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

QOS might be a bit stronger if the Dykes windfall is still there plus no Stephen Dobbie outlay.

Yep, you might have a point there. But if there is still Dykes cash left over or still to arrive then our board are a pretty prudent (ie tight) lot and I'm not sure they'd splash the cash on players - maybe more likely they'd use it to upgrade our much-loved "state of the art" carpet!

Might also be something in your last point.  I'm sure that we could maybe fund a couple of promising youngsters for the rate we were paying the Dobbmeister - could have been why AJ didn't want to extend his contract (if indeed that's what it was - or maybe Dobbie just wanted to go).

6 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Yes it will, for next season at least.

Good news that - especially if we have to travel up to the highlands four times next season (and no doubt the ICT/County fans would see it in the same way but in reverse too).

4 hours ago, stan3600 said:

......... we’ll be the bookies’ favourite for relegation ...... 

Wouldn't be too sure about that ......... can AJ pull a rabbit out of the hat two seasons running in building a new squad from zip .....?   I hope to hell he can ........ obviously ....

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Partick will be up there tbh. McCall will still be drilling that sense of “injustice” his his players to create some sort of siege mentality and I think he’ll be ambitious when it comes to recruiting players.

I think Raith could struggle depending on who they lose. Hendry looks like an almost certainty to be away and I think Armstrong is out of contract as well. It’s only two players but it’s two very crucial players who will be hard to replace.

Armstrong can certainly be a good player but I would say it's a stretch to call him crucial. I would like him to stay but I'm fairly confident we'll be able to replace him if he goes.