Quick-selling your house / flat

As an occasional FB doomscroller, I'm astounded that recently, nearly all the adverts are for companies offering to buy your gaffe HASSLE-FREE, QUICK-CASH, ENTER YOUR POSTCODE AND BE AMAZED, UNLOCK YOUR VALUE, WE BUY YOUR HOUSE IN 7 DAYS ... EVEN IN PAISLEY etc etc etc. 

Not sure whether they're all part of a single company, or they're just a bunch of standalone chancers trying to cash in - similar to the proliferation of "WE BUY GOLD. GIS YER GOLD" shops that opened up after the recession.

Any idea what's happening? Are they trying to capitalise on rising house prices? Or just taking advantage of people who are skint and need a quick buck and are willing to sell their house to meet a need? (this story seems appropriate). 

How much less than the market value would you expect to get for using their service? Has any P+Ber ever sold their property using this service?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Can't answer your specific question, but FB ads are targeted blud, so have you been considering selling your gaff and browsing some sites, and maybe that's why you're getting hit with them? My ads are all constantly the penis reduction surgery ones for eg. 

Sounds a bit like webuyanycar for houses - probably similar... gives you a low ball offer but happens extremely quickly and you don't need to go through all the rigmarole of lawyers, home reports, closing dates and stuff? Then they're left with a portfolio of gaffs they can punt on at their leisure for a tasty profit. 

Note:this might all be incorrect. 

JPEG_20191025_163207.jpg

Edited by madwullie

I was selling my flat a couple of years ago, pre-Covid, and the market for 2 bed flats in Dundee was quite slow.

I actually contacted 1 of these companies but the offer was about 80% of the home report valuation, so I gave it a miss.

Then Covid hit, and I was stuck for a good few months, then thankfully I sold it through the estate agents.

From what I see now houses and flats are moving so fast (and selling for over value) in the current market that I don't see any reason why people would use these sort of companies, unless they are now offering close to home report value on the basis they could sell for 5% more than value.

5 hours ago, madwullie said:

Can't answer your specific question, but FB ads are targeted blud, so have you been considering selling your gaff and browsing some sites, and maybe that's why you're getting hit with them? My ads are all constantly the penis reduction surgery ones for eg. 

Sounds a bit like webuyanycar for houses - probably similar... gives you a low ball offer but happens extremely quickly and you don't need to go through all the rigmarole of lawyers, home reports, closing dates and stuff? Then they're left with a portfolio of gaffs they can punt on at their leisure for a tasty profit. 

Note:this might all be incorrect. 

I recently had penis reduction surgery. I've just got the one now.

The business model is people offer you cash for your property, meaning that it can go through very quickly but, as noted above, they offer far lower than value.  

It's a sector that is unregulated and that has big problems with shady practices.  For example, quite often buyers will reduce their offer right before payment, knowing that the people selling will already be desperate and will likely just have to take it.  There's also the issue of 'flipping' properties to cheat the tax on them. 

If you were concerned then I'd recommend contacting your local MP or MSP, especially if you live in Falkirk East constituency.

They are for people that have a desperate need to sell their home immediately, usually for financial reasons. As a result said offer will be derisory and if you're lucky maybe 85% of the market value. 

7 hours ago, madwullie said:

I've not been looking into selling my home, although I did leave a sarcastic comment against one of the adverts asking if they bought haunted properties (they responded with "yes"). 

It's not the fact that I'm getting the adverts - more the fact there are literally dozens of companies springing up that seem to offer this kind of service and I'm wondering if it's a new phenomenon or I've just never noticed it before. How many people are going to be so skint that they'll sacrifice at least £10k+ for a quick sale? 

Just had a quick scroll through FB and the first 10 adverts were for:

• Prime Home Buyers
  • Easy Property Buyers
  • Showery - The future of shower heads is here (Is FB trying to tell me I need a wash)
  • House Buyers
  • Klubbers Klothing
  • Value my Stuff (that's a new one)
  • Instant Home Sale
  • Property Solvers - Quick House Sale Experts & Estate Agency Services
  • A fucking advert for tomatoes. I hate tomatoes
  • AR Home Buyers

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Sorry to say this mate, but going by these ads it looks like fb have you marked as a cheap, tight b*****d willing to cash in any old shite to get a few extra bob in your pocket. 

Is that a person you recognise? 

10 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

As an occasional FB doomscroller, I'm astounded that recently, nearly all the adverts are for companies offering to buy your gaffe HASSLE-FREE, QUICK-CASH, ENTER YOUR POSTCODE AND BE AMAZED, UNLOCK YOUR VALUE, WE BUY YOUR HOUSE IN 7 DAYS ... EVEN IN PAISLEY etc etc etc. 

Not sure whether they're all part of a single company, or they're just a bunch of standalone chancers trying to cash in - similar to the proliferation of "WE BUY GOLD. GIS YER GOLD" shops that opened up after the recession.

Any idea what's happening? Are they trying to capitalise on rising house prices? Or just taking advantage of people who are skint and need a quick buck and are willing to sell their house to meet a need? (this story seems appropriate). 

How much less than the market value would you expect to get for using their service? Has any P+Ber ever sold their property using this service?

They're undoubtedly targeting folk who've lost jobs or income due to covid and are desperate to sell. I've heard that their MO is to make a reasonable offer to start with, get everything all sorted and then find some reason to drastically drop the price at the last minute. Because they mainly appeal to people who're desperate to sell, enough just give in to get the cash.

Absolute scum.

37 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Sorry to say this mate, but going by these ads it looks like fb have you marked as a cheap, tight b*****d willing to cash in any old shite to get a few extra bob in your pocket. 

Is that a person you recognise? 

Surely if I'm such a tight b*****d, I wouldn't go near any of these schemes since I would lose out financially?

There’s a high profile estate agency that started out as one of these firms. They’d make money by getting the place below value (and tbf, it meant that the seller didn’t have to bother at the time with doing anything to the place to get it on the market). The agent would then either but it from the client and sell straight to the buyer at an increase price or would charge the buyer a fee for finding them an off-market property (or charge everyone and flip it). 

Even in my job (decorator in case I never mentioned it) I get clients saying to me to look out for off-market places or folk thinking of selling. These may be folk who are abroad or just busy and don’t want to go traipsing about looking at places or bidding on offers over stuff. 

12 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

There’s a high profile estate agency that started out as one of these firms. They’d make money by getting the place below value (and tbf, it meant that the seller didn’t have to bother at the time with doing anything to the place to get it on the market). The agent would then either but it from the client and sell straight to the buyer at an increase price or would charge the buyer a fee for finding them an off-market property (or charge everyone and flip it). 

Even in my job (decorator in case I never mentioned it) I get clients saying to me to look out for off-market places or folk thinking of selling. These may be folk who are abroad or just busy and don’t want to go traipsing about looking at places or bidding on offers over stuff. 

I assume you're talking about McEwan Fraser?  They tried to talk me into something like this a few years ago.  They valued my property way lower than other agencies and offered me about 75% of that "valuation" for a quick sale.

42 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I assume you're talking about McEwan Fraser?  They tried to talk me into something like this a few years ago.  They valued my property way lower than other agencies and offered me about 75% of that "valuation" for a quick sale.

I couldn’t possibly comment! Going back 15 years or so. 

I have had a couple of weird letters through my door from a woman supposedly looking to buy a house in the area because of its prime location to schools.

These look hand written but are obviously photocopied and posted by the same weirdos who offer to clean my gutters every other week or that post the charity bags through the door.

apparently it would benefit me greatly because I’d avoid any estate agent fees and would have a quick sale. There is then a number to ‘WhatsApp’ next time one comes through I’ll seek P&B advice on what to send to them on WhatsApp.