Play Off Final Airdrie Vs Morton

Tam Cowan said it was a penalty, so there.

The early goal settled us (or rather, my nerves) but Airdrie were clearly knackered. Good to be back at Scapa and well done to the players for doing what didn't look likely after the Montrose away leg.

Not sure whether Morton stepping up when it mattered or the limitations of the opposition were more the decisive factors, but I’m guessing every single Morton supporter thought this would be much tougher than it turned out.

Airdrie had clearly run their race, but anybody who’s watched us will realise just how wild last night was; we haven’t dominated a single game all season, not even close. No offence to Airdrie, but I think we won a watch when the Cove keeper flapped them out of it, because there’s no way we’d have gone up there and won the first leg.

The team left wondering what might have been is Montrose: could easily have taken it away from us in the second half up there... and it still took a moment of absolute class from McGuffie to get us over the line.

Some decent players and a manager who knows what he’s doing; they’ll have looked at Airdrie last night and thought ‘we’d have beaten them’.

Best of luck to all three teams next year... Queens Park will no doubt start favourites, but there are three play-off spots to fill (not you, Falkirk...).

No chance, he's in the last twelve months of his contract and despite being excellent for us, he's not the sort of flashy, attacking full-back who would attract that level of interest anyway.

I think we'd probably take £50k for him or some sort of sell-on + incentives package. Kilmarnock could certainly have done with him instead of that haddy full-back on Thursday night. 

Still hurting today but losing 4-0 on aggregate to a better team is a bit easier to accept. Would’ve been hurting more if we lost by 1 goal or on penalties. The board have a massive decision on their hands with the manager now, I’m glad I’m not the one making that decision. 

Congrats to Morton: Hope my Morton pal of a decade ago is happy today. Clearly the better side over the games and the late and then early cracker meant our tired bunch were never going to get back in ( and also less skilled/composed players compared to Morton's) . Thistle will provide a better challenge next season but it's yet another trail to the seaside for me again. Mind you I don't think away games are likely so the North Calder is the closest we will get to the water. Best wishes.

7 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Still hurting today but losing 4-0 on aggregate to a better team is a bit easier to accept. Would’ve been hurting more if we lost by 1 goal or on penalties. The board have a massive decision on their hands with the manager now, I’m glad I’m not the one making that decision. 

As in, not to offer a new contract?

Surely he's earned that?

29 minutes ago, madton said:

As in, not to offer a new contract?

Surely he's earned that?

I personally think he has earned the right to a new contract. But either way, it’s going to divide opinion, as it already has in the Airdrie Facebook group. The players seem to respect him and give their all on the pitch for him as of recently in the run we put together, and that’s half the battle. It is crucial that Murray or whoever is the manager, gets it absolutely spot on with the recruitment in the summer. 

5 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Being involved in the relegation playoff's is horrendous, full of tension and uncertainty. 

But in saying that, it gave us the best entertainment of a rather dull season

Agree. Not the way I would have liked us to stay up of course, but with the way it panned out and the benefit of hindsight, in a weird sort of way it was ultimately a more satisfying end to the season than finishing 8th on goal difference. But aye, wouldn't want to go through that again.

Was really surprised just how big the gap is between the Championship and League 1. A Partick supporting mate totally put the shiters up me by convincing me beforehand that Airdrie were a very decent team. Going into the play-off final I genuinely thought it could go either way. 

Agree. Not the way I would have liked us to stay up of course, but with the way it panned out and the benefit of hindsight, in a weird sort of way it was ultimately a more satisfying end to the season than finishing 8th on goal difference. But aye, wouldn't want to go through that again.
Was really surprised just how big the gap is between the Championship and League 1. A Partick supporting mate totally put the shiters up me by convincing me beforehand that Airdrie were a very decent team. Going into the play-off final I genuinely thought it could go either way. 

Not disagreeing that there is a difference but airdrie didn’t do themselves justice over those two games

23 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Being involved in the relegation playoff's is horrendous, full of tension and uncertainty. 

But in saying that, it gave us the best entertainment of a rather dull season

I think the fact that you ended up completely strolling it will means you will get to look back on it fondly. I still get a knot in my stomach thinking about our playoff games against United. Two utterly irredeemable games and a fleeting few minutes of penalty success is not good for the heart.

Genuine congrats on staying up, though. I'm sure you can't have been thrilled at the idea of having to go to such obscure places as *checks notes* Falkirk next season.

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think the fact that you ended up completely strolling it will means you will get to look back on it fondly. I still get a knot in my stomach thinking about our playoff games against United. Two utterly irredeemable games and a fleeting few minutes of penalty success is not good for the heart.

Genuine congrats on staying up, though. I'm sure you can't have been thrilled at the idea of having to go to such obscure places as *checks notes* Falkirk next season.

That would have been a home game for me😀

I'll pack my bucket and spade, maybe Grangemouth Beach in the future

I thought Montrose performed well against us and gave us a scare. So I then expected Airdrie to be a tougher match. Airdrie seemed very cagey though and were unfortunate with injuries. I was pleasantly surprised that Gus went to 3 upfront and we attacked for the whole game to such good effect!

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thanks, if Gus gets the job I'm sure he will consolidate our place in the Championship next season. 

With the new regime there will be a period of upheaval behind the scenes, so less  to worry about on the park would be a blessing