Dundee United vs Motherwell - The Battle for 7th

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cracking finish from Cole (although not as impressive as the radio was making it out to be). There's no chance we're keeping him, is there? Please?

Not now that he has turned into prime Christiano Ronald in the last 2 months. 

He will head back south. Do nothing of note then come back here and do what he does. Rinse and repeat!

It would just be better if he stays here. Starts next season on fire and gets a better money spinning move for both himself and the club. But that would be asking too much I guess 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cracking finish from Cole (although not as impressive as the radio was making it out to be). There's no chance we're keeping him, is there? Please?

I thought Decanter's finish was genuinely reminiscent of his old man.

I'm not exactly optimistic about keeping him as ultimately I think he'd rather be down south. Having said that Alexander was saying he'd spoken to his agent the other week and plans to speak to the player next week - given the way things have played out with Gallagher and Alexander publicly admitting that Campbell wouldn't be staying it doesn't look like the door is completely closed.

The other thing is, we apparently offered him a contract a while ago. I'd think it's fair to say that with the form Alexander's been able to get out of Cole circumstances have probably changed a fair bit - we also know we're still a top flight team which I'd guess wasn't 100% certain when we offered the deal.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I thought Decanter's finish was genuinely reminiscent of his old man.

I'm not exactly optimistic about keeping him as ultimately I think he'd rather be down south. Having said that Alexander was saying he'd spoken to his agent the other week and plans to speak to the player next week - given the way things have played out with Gallagher and Alexander publicly admitting that Campbell wouldn't be staying it doesn't look like the door is completely closed.

The other thing is, we apparently offered him a contract a while ago. I'd think it's fair to say that with the form Alexander's been able to get out of Cole circumstances have probably changed a fair bit - we also know we're still a top flight team which I'd guess wasn't 100% certain when we offered the deal.

I suppose it's all about what Cole fancies in the end. We know that if he stays here he's nailed on to start every single week as a centre forward. Would he be as well sticking around another year to prove himself and then get his move? I'd like to think so. 

Also on Chrissy Long I cannae workout whether I love or hate him. He was our best player by some distance last night and his goal was proof of what he can do. Also I am all in favour of a team of raging scousers. 

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I suppose it's all about what Cole fancies in the end. We know that if he stays here he's nailed on to start every single week as a centre forward. Would he be as well sticking around another year to prove himself and then get his move? I'd like to think so. 

Also on Chrissy Long I cannae workout whether I love or hate him. He was our best player by some distance last night and his goal was proof of what he can do. Also I am all in favour of a team of raging scousers. 

Long contributed a lot yesterday and gave the impression of being a professional footballer but his half volley out the ground on the turn in the last few minutes suggested he needs to think more about his decision making.

Hastie is close to being good but he just isn’t.  He closed people down, he won the ball, he moved us forward but his final ball and his attempts at shooting are woeful.

21 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye, clearly I don't know the guy but since he seems to have been doing a bit more press lately Cole comes across as a pretty smart guy (that interview he did with Stonewaller was v.good) so I'd say that he's someone who might be able to see the bigger picture of him giving us another 6 months and scoring a pile of goals.

It's probably more a conversation for our thread but your point about Long is why I raised the question about us offering him something when it looked absolutely nailed on that he'd be away in a Gallagher-style shaming situation.

By my count that's 4 goals and 3 assists in 14 starts under Alexander. I mean, it's not Ballon d'Or worthy or anything but it's an uptick in form and he's (almost) playing with a smile on his face.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

Long contributed a lot yesterday and gave the impression of being a professional footballer but his half volley out the ground on the turn in the last few minutes suggested he needs to think more about his decision making.

Hastie is close to being good but he just isn’t.  He closed people down, he won the ball, he moved us forward but his final ball and his attempts at shooting are woeful.

I did actually burst out laughing at that tbf. When he fancies it he's a great player at this level but I suppose it's whether Alexander thinks he can get that out of him on a regular basis or not. 

As for Hastie, there's probably some sort of football player in there but who knows if we'll ever see it. Nobody seen his initial form coming so I don't blame the club for not throwing a deal at him. Similarly if someone's offering you ££££££££ on a 4 year deal it's going to be difficult to turn down. I don't blame him for taking it for his own sake but in footballing terms it's probably set him back about 4 years.