Supporting Lowland League clubs against colts

Last night, Lowland League clubs gave an indicative vote in favour of admitting old firm colt sides into the Lowland League for season 2021/22. 11 clubs voted for and 5 voted against. Assuming no clubs change their minds, this will pass at the Lowland League AGM next week.

There are plenty of threads on here discussing the merits or otherwise of colt sides in the Scottish football pyramid and this isn't a thread for this.

I'm trying to encourage all Scottish football fans from every club and every level of the pyramid who is against colt sides to commit to supporting those Lowland League clubs who vote against the colt proposal next week by attending at least one of their home games next season or buying a ticket via the donate a ticket website. The idea is to choose one home fixture for each club who votes against the colts and ideally, give them a sell out crowd (assuming we're allowed back into games by next season) and for those who can't make the game for whatever reason but still want to show their support, to donate online.

If this is a goer, I'll select fixtures where the Lowland League 'good guys' play against each other, once the fixtures are announced, and one home game will be chosen for each club. It'd be great to get out and show our moral and financial support for those clubs willing to stand up for the integrity of Scottish football and aren't willing to sell out their league for £3k. At around £8 per ticket, just 375 extra fans through the gate would be more than the OF are willing to pay each LL club to use their league as practice.

I've started a petition here: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/notocoltsides

It'd be great if everyone willing to do this could sign it. It's a way to gauge numbers and communicate with folk who're interested. Hopefully, if it takes off, a few Lowland League clubs who indicated they'll vote for this might reconsider (I doubt it but you never know).

The good guys are: Bonnyrigg Rose, Bo'ness United, Civil Service Strollers, Dalbeattie Star, and Edinburgh University.

Edited by Gordon EF

the sentiment is admirable but I wouldn't donate to it. it's basically asking fans to bribe clubs into retaining the status quo when of course their sense of integrity should be enough.

Also, they are going to be getting a share of the Old Firm sweetener payment regardless of how they vote. 

Going forward perhaps fans of the "good guy" teams might consider whether they want to visit the "wanks" and put money in their coffers in future. 

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

the sentiment is admirable but I wouldn't donate to it. it's basically asking fans to bribe clubs into retaining the status quo when of course their sense of integrity should be enough.

Also, they are going to be getting a share of the Old Firm sweetener payment regardless of how they vote. 

Going forward perhaps fans of the "good guy" teams might consider whether they want to visit the "wanks" and put money in their coffers in future. 

I might be tempted to pop along to see a game with one of the ‘good guy’ teams and buy a ticket if we had a free week. Might be a decent wee day out, never been to Bonnyrigg and heard its a decent wee ground etc. 

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I might be tempted to pop along to see a game with one of the ‘good guy’ teams and buy a ticket if we had a free week. Might be a decent wee day out, never been to Bonnyrigg and heard its a decent wee ground etc. 

Bonnyrigg is good (presuming they haven't done anything too rash to the place in the 10 years since I was there) . It's definitely in the "traditional" category of venues.

it had the most  severe cross-field slope i've ever seen -  might be a perfectly flat astro now for all I know. 

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Last night, Lowland League clubs gave an indicative vote in favour of admitting old firm colt sides into the Lowland League for season 2021/22. 11 clubs voted for and 5 voted against. Assuming no clubs change their minds, this will pass at the Lowland League AGM next week.

There are plenty of threads on here discussing the merits or otherwise of colt sides in the Scottish football pyramid and this isn't a thread for this.

I'm trying to encourage all Scottish football fans from every club and every level of the pyramid who is against colt sides to commit to supporting those Lowland League clubs who vote against the colt proposal next week by attending at least one of their home games next season or buying a ticket via the donate a ticket website. The idea is to choose one home fixture for each club who votes against the colts and ideally, give them a sell out crowd (assuming we're allowed back into games by next season) and for those who can't make the game for whatever reason but still want to show their support, to donate online.

If this is a goer, I'll select fixtures where the Lowland League 'good guys' play against each other, once the fixtures are announced, and one home game will be chosen for each club. It'd be great to get out and show our moral and financial support for those clubs willing to stand up for the integrity of Scottish football and aren't willing to sell out their league for £3k. At around £8 per ticket, just 375 extra fans through the gate would be more than the OF are willing to pay each LL club to use their league as practice.

It'd be great if everyone willing to do this could sign it. It's a way to gauge numbers and communicate with folk who're interested. Hopefully, if it takes off, a few Lowland League clubs who indicated they'll vote for this might reconsider (I doubt it but you never know).

The good guys are: Bonnyrigg Rose, Bo'ness United, Civil Service Strollers, Dalbeattie Star, and Edinburgh University.

I, like most other fans would much rather just donate the cost of a ticket to the clubs they support.

2 hours ago, santheman said:

Won't be me am afraid.

Not a lover of the old firm in any shape or form but we live in a democracy and if that's what the clubs want and voted for then good luck to them.

Yes the Clubs voted for it.

If it came down to the Clubs fans I think most would say nay. 

2 hours ago, Shanner said:

Bonnyrigg is good (presuming they haven't done anything too rash to the place in the 10 years since I was there) . It's definitely in the "traditional" category of venues.

it had the most  severe cross-field slope i've ever seen -  might be a perfectly flat astro now for all I know. 

The slope is still alive and well! 😄

6 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

You do know Gordon you are in the WoSFL forum.

This is the clubs below the LL.

You know the same LL that has one relegation place and 160 clubs below that.

Why anybody would support the LL from this end is beyond me.

Be gone, you Seaside Leaguer.

9 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

You do know Gordon you are in the WoSFL forum.

This is the clubs below the LL.

You know the same LL that has one relegation place and 160 clubs below that.

Why anybody would support the LL from this end is beyond me.

Be gone, you Seaside Leaguer.

You're free to your opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone or twist any arms. It's not really about supporting the Lowland League though. It's about supporting clubs who're trying to do the right thing. Personally, I don't think the best response to self-interest is even more self-interest.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

You're free to your opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone or twist any arms. It's not really about supporting the Lowland League though. It's about supporting clubs who're trying to do the right thing. Personally, I don't think the best response to self-interest is even more self-interest.

And you think East Fife and a whole host of others haven't self interest in this Colts story. 

Don't even go there with the sporting integrity line.

East Fife have been in closed shop since the first day they joined the league.

Now the penny has dropped.

Two or three bad seasons and who would East Fife be playing and in what league?

Remember there's something below the Lowland League.

Ask Berwick Rangers, one bad season and they could be playing in the EoSFL

5 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

And you think East Fife and a whole host of others haven't self interest in this Colts story. 

Don't even go there with the sporting integrity line.

East Fife have been in closed shop since the first day they joined the league.

Now the penny has dropped.

Two or three bad seasons and who would East Fife be playing and in what league?

Remember there's something below the Lowland League.

Ask Berwick Rangers, one bad season and they could be playing in the EoSFL

You seem to be confusing me, a supporter of East Fife Football Club, with East Fife Football Club.

I've never been in favour of the SPFL being a closed shop. What are you on about the penny dropping? I'm aware, and have been for some time, that there are now many tiers below East Fife's current position that they can drop into.

I'm not sure who you support, is it Talbot? Do you think anything would be any different if Talbot (or any other WoSFL club for that matter), by some quirk of fate, had gotten into the Scottish Football League a century ago instead of East Fife? No, it wouldn't. They'd have taken their place in the closed shop and kept it.

13 hours ago, Amandajoan said:

Yes the Clubs voted for it.

If it came down to the Clubs fans I think most would say nay. 

Well if it bothers them that much they can always vote with their feet and wallets.

5 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

You seem to be confusing me, a supporter of East Fife Football Club, with East Fife Football Club.

I've never been in favour of the SPFL being a closed shop. What are you on about the penny dropping? I'm aware, and have been for some time, that there are now many tiers below East Fife's current position that they can drop into.

I'm not sure who you support, is it Talbot? Do you think anything would be any different if Talbot (or any other WoSFL club for that matter), by some quirk of fate, had gotten into the Scottish Football League a century ago instead of East Fife? No, it wouldn't. They'd have taken their place in the closed shop and kept it.

Gordon rewind a minute.

What exactly is the problem with Colts in the LL?