Supporting Lowland League clubs against colts

Gordon EF

On 12/05/2021 at 14:54, mrman2011 said:

Youth Development will massively improve if the bigger clubs have colt teams in the lower leagues. (17-21 year olds will develop quicker) 

More focus also is needed for a robust Youth League like they do in England, Coaching needs to be improved as well as the SFA need to invest lots into this. Improvement is there but needs to gain more momentum. 

You sir, are either deluded or on a fishing trip.

If it’s the latter, you’re patter is rotten.

Otherwise, read the threads about this subject and try to think about the many reasons given that people are against this. 

Just now, Fusbal1 said:

Scottish football needs to try anything that could potentially improve its appeal. I think having colts clubs would draw an increased crowd on match days. 

The evidence from the Challenge Cup is, for outwith the Old Firm, the drop in attendances is massive.

For matches with Old Firm colts there have been one or two examples of a higher crowd that even it out but, for the majority of matches, the crowd is lower. 

And this is for one off cup games. A mid table match between Spartans and Rangers Colts wont have fans of either side bursting the doors down to watch a classic,

I support Scotland. That is why I want Scottish football to do whatever it takes to develop top players.

I think Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, and Motherwell should have colt teams in the Lowland League, 

Plus Aberdeen, Dundee United, Inverness CT, and Ross County should have colt teams in the Highland League.  

How is it a question of morality or integrity to want Scottish clubs to not produce good Scottish players.

That is a disgusting vile attitude to take.  

The lack of morality and integrity is those people who want Scotland to fail. Who want Scottish clubs to fail in Europe.

Let me state where I stand

1. I want Scotland to do well in major trophies. 

2. I want Scottish clubs to get far in Europe. 

3, I want Scottish football to produce and attract top players. 

4. I support ALL Scottish clubs in Europe. 

5. I want all Scottish players to reach their potential. 

The problem of integrity and morality is those who would rather Scottish clubs DO NOT produce top players. 

And then continue with this conservative agenda, that a part time team with 300 fans finishing 3 or 4 places higher in the league is more important than Scotland producing top players. No wonder Scotland fails when there are people who WANT Scottish football teams to fail.

I do not support Celtic or Rangers in domestic football. Although I do support them in Europe. But I want them to produce good Scottish players, because Scotland is more important to me than tribal loyalties. 

HOW IS IT SHOWING INTEGRITY AND MORALITY TO WANT SCOTTISH TO FAIL TO PRODUCE TOP PLAYERS? 

HOW?  

No wonder Scotland has failed for 20 years at international soccer, with such a lack of patriotism and unity from some so called fans, 

I want all Scottish players to develop. End of story. 

And don't give me this guff that Rangers or Celtic should play an entire youth team in the first team. They would be humiliated 8-0 by a team from the Irish league. 

I support Scotland. That is why I want Scottish football to do whatever it takes to develop top players.

I think Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, and Motherwell should have colt teams in the Lowland League, 

Plus Aberdeen, Dundee United, Inverness CT, and Ross County should have colt teams in the Highland League.  

How is it a question of morality or integrity to want Scottish clubs to not produce good Scottish players.

The lack of morality and integrity is those people who want Scotland to fail. Who want Scottish clubs to fail in Europe.

The problem of integrity and morality is those who would rather Scottish clubs DO NOT produce top players. 

And then continue with this conservative agenda, that a part time team with 300 fans finishing 3 or 4 places higher in the league is more important than Scotland producing top players. No wonder Scotland fails when there are people who WANT Scottish football teams to fail.

I do not support Celtic or Rangers in domestic football. Although I do support them in Europe. But I want them to produce good Scottish players, because Scotland is more important to me than tribal loyalties. 

HOW IS IT SHOWING INTEGRITY AND MORALITY TO WANT SCOTTISH TO FAIL TO PRODUCE TOP PLAYERS? 

HOW?  

No wonder Scotland has failed for 20 years at international soccer, with such a lack of patriotism and unity from some so called fans, 

And don't give me this guff that Rangers or Celtic should play an entire youth team in the first team. They would be humiliated 8-0 by a team from the Irish league. 

Maybe we should just give up trying at football and all support foreign teams. There is 100% integrity and morality. Sarcastic. 

11 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

HOW?  

HOW?  

Maybe we should just give up trying at football and all support foreign teams. There is 100% integrity and morality. Sarcastic. 

If your placing the very minor chance of the National side performing slightly better every 2/4 years over the thriving club game every week then you are a fud.  The club game completely obliterates the National side in terms of importance. Don’t put the cart before the horse.

One thing that gets on my nerves about people who are against colt sides playing proper sides in the Lowland League or Highland League, is they claim it is immoral or evil, or it takes away from sporting integrity of Scottish football. Well that is nonsense. There is no shame in playing a colt side.

If a big team takes a youth team, or second 11 to play a smaller team in a friendly no one complains. But if it happens in a competitive match they suddenly claim it is immoral and destroying sporting integrity. That is utter nonsense.

If Man Utd, Liverpool, Barcelona, or Real Madrid took a B team to play a Scottish side you would fill every stadium other than Celtic or Rangers.

I remember Man Utd taking a virtual B team to play Aberdeen, a few years ago. And it packed out the Dons stadium.

If Liverpool took a B team to play Motherwell it would get a huge crowd.

Yet all of a sudden if Celtic or Rangers colt sides play against Lowland League sides it is suddenly regarded as evil.

Well what a load of nonsense.

I am not asking for the colt team idea based on attendances. I am stating that colt teams playing proper sides is perfectly OK. It is not immoral or taking away from sporting integrity. That is the point I am making. The Spanish, Belgians, Croats, Germans, Portugal, and France all play colt teams in lower divisions.

How is it an insult to the Lowland League or Highland League to say this is the potential breeding ground for Scottish internationals. It is a compliment to the Highland League and Lowland League to want colt sides in those leagues.

I am not suggesting Motherwell Colts or Ross County colts, would be a huge draw in terms of attendances, but I think if we gave Motherwell a colt side in the Lowland League it would increase the number of opportunities for young Scottish players. And there is no shame in proper sides playing colt sides. There is no shame at all.

The point in the col idea is to produce more top quality Scottish players. That is the priority of Scottish football. Grassroots main job is to develop top players.

One thing that gets on my nerves about people who are against colt sides playing proper sides in the Lowland League or Highland League, is they claim it is immoral or evil, or it takes away from sporting integrity of Scottish football. Well that is nonsense. There is no shame in playing a colt side.

If a big team takes a youth team, or second 11 to play a smaller team in a friendly no one complains. But if it happens in a competitive match they suddenly claim it is immoral and destroying sporting integrity. That is utter nonsense.

If Man Utd, Liverpool, Barcelona, or Real Madrid took a B team to play a Scottish side you would fill every stadium other than Celtic or Rangers.

I remember Man Utd taking a virtual B team to play Aberdeen, a few years ago. And it packed out the Dons stadium.

Yet all of a sudden if Celtic or Rangers colt sides play against Lowland League sides it is suddenly regarded as evil.

I am not asking for the colt team idea based on attendances. I am stating that colt teams playing proper sides is perfectly OK. It is not immoral or taking away from sporting integrity. That is the point I am making. The Spanish, Belgians, Croats, Germans, Portugal, and France all play colt teams in lower divisions.

How is it an insult to the Lowland League or Highland League to say this is the potential breeding ground for Scottish internationals. It is a compliment to the Highland League and Lowland League to want colt sides in those leagues.

I am not suggesting Motherwell Colts or Ross County colts, would be a huge draw in terms of attendances, but I think if we gave Motherwell a colt side in the Lowland League it would increase the number of opportunities for young Scottish players. And there is no shame in proper sides playing colt sides. There is no shame at all.

The point in the col idea is to produce more top quality Scottish players. That is the priority of Scottish football. Grassroots main job is to develop top players.

35 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

One thing that gets on my nerves about people... [insert havering pish]

We all want Scotland to do well. There is just no evidence Colt teams will help with this.

There is evidence Colt teams will harm most domestic clubs yet benefit those already at the top.

THE COLTS TEAM ONLY PLAYED IN PRE SEASON FRIENDLIES / TESTIMONIALS. SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE LLTEAMS THAT HAVE TO PLAY THEM. HOW WILL U / TEAM FEEL WHEN UR TEAM LOSES 20 NIL TO THEM . IS THERE GOING TO BE A MAXIMUM AGE LEVEL FOR THEIR PLAYERS ? THEY SHOULD ALSO BE FORCED TO PLAY THEIR HOME GAMES AT CELTIC PARK / IBROX @ FULL SUPER LEAGUE ADMISSION PRICES ( ALSO TO INCLUDE THE SEASON TICKETS HOLDERS MONEY ) WITH THE COMBINED INCOIME FOR ALL THEIR HOME THEN GAMES BEING " POOLED " , GIVEN TO LL & THEN DISTRUBUTED EVENLY TO ALL LL MEMBER CLUBS. AVERAGE LEAGUE STATS FOR 2019/20 ( STATS PROVIDED BY www.statista.com)  :-

CELTIC 

Season Average Attendance Max Attendance Min Attendance Num Games
2019/2020 57,944 59,131 54,584 15

NEW CO

Season Average Attendance Max Attendance Min Attendance Num Games
2019/2020 49,238 50,012 47,583 14

SO ADD ONE GAME AVERAGE TO THE OLD FIRM HOME MATCHES 57,944 & 49, 238 TO THE ACTUAL "THRU THE GATE ON THE DAY " ATTENDANCE MATCH FOR EACH OF THEIR HOME GAMES AGAINST LL OPPOSITION .  

On 11/05/2021 at 18:27, Gordon EF said:

Last night, Lowland League clubs gave an indicative vote in favour of admitting old firm colt sides into the Lowland League for season 2021/22. 11 clubs voted for and 5 voted against. Assuming no clubs change their minds, this will pass at the Lowland League AGM next week.

There are plenty of threads on here discussing the merits or otherwise of colt sides in the Scottish football pyramid and this isn't a thread for this.

I'm trying to encourage all Scottish football fans from every club and every level of the pyramid who is against colt sides to commit to supporting those Lowland League clubs who vote against the colt proposal next week by attending at least one of their home games next season or buying a ticket via the donate a ticket website. The idea is to choose one home fixture for each club who votes against the colts and ideally, give them a sell out crowd (assuming we're allowed back into games by next season) and for those who can't make the game for whatever reason but still want to show their support, to donate online.

If this is a goer, I'll select fixtures where the Lowland League 'good guys' play against each other, once the fixtures are announced, and one home game will be chosen for each club. It'd be great to get out and show our moral and financial support for those clubs willing to stand up for the integrity of Scottish football and aren't willing to sell out their league for £3k. At around £8 per ticket, just 375 extra fans through the gate would be more than the OF are willing to pay each LL club to use their league as practice.

I've started a petition here: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/notocoltsides

It'd be great if everyone willing to do this could sign it. It's a way to gauge numbers and communicate with folk who're interested. Hopefully, if it takes off, a few Lowland League clubs who indicated they'll vote for this might reconsider (I doubt it but you never know).

The good guys are: Bonnyrigg Rose, Bo'ness United, Civil Service Strollers, Dalbeattie Star, and Edinburgh University.

how's the petition going 😄 awful 

what a waste of time but sure it made you feel better for a few minutes 😆

HOW?  
HOW?  

Why should they go into the LL straight away and jump 150+ teams? If Rangers or Celtic or anyone else wants a Colts team in LL, let them earn their place by entering the pyramid at the bottom tier of the relevant regional league, assuming they meet all the criteria. Let them earn the right to play in the LL, not hand them it on a plate. Now that’s integrity.

My god. How do you block posters on P&B?

PS I wasn’t aware Motherwell and Ross County wanted their colt teams in the Lowland League.

PPS Motherwell seem to be doing pretty well at developing young Scottish talent as things stand

PPPS you do realise that the Rangers and Celtic colt team proposal is being continually put forward (by Rangers and Celtic) purely for their own benefit and not for the greater good. Why would they change the habit of a lifetime?

4 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

My god. How do you block posters on P&B?

Click on "user name", click on ignore user, tick appropriate boxes, click "update profiles" or whatever it's called., job done.

On 28/05/2021 at 18:30, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

HOW?  

HOW?  

image.gif.68b8e2db8aa52bb2af58d7bd0ec55dc6.gif

I support Scotland, I want Scotland to do well and produce top players that’s why I’m 100% against the Colt teams idea. We should be concentrating on improving our coaching and facilities at grassroots and youth levels not just hoping two teams produce players by hoarding as many youngsters as they can. The idea that Rangers and Celtic give a shit about the National team is laughable when you look at their starting 11s over the last 20 years. They’ve spent years buying up Scottish talent to put it on their bench so they’re not playing against it. They’ve pulled players out of Scotland squads to play testimonial games. Rangers and Celtic will do what’s best for Rangers and Celtic and anyone who thinks otherwise is incredibly naive.

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

I support Scotland, I want Scotland to do well and produce top players that’s why I’m 100% against the Colt teams idea. We should be concentrating on improving our coaching and facilities at grassroots and youth levels not just hoping two teams produce players by hoarding as many youngsters as they can. The idea that Rangers and Celtic give a shit about the National team is laughable when you look at their starting 11s over the last 20 years. They’ve spent years buying up Scottish talent to put it on their bench so they’re not playing against it. They’ve pulled players out of Scotland squads to play testimonial games. Rangers and Celtic will do what’s best for Rangers and Celtic and anyone who thinks otherwise is incredibly naive.

That is it in a nutshell.

That "argument" about "but why are friendlies acceptable?" gets tiresome too. If Lochee United play a friendly against say Dundee United it's by mutual agreement and both sides decide themselves who they want to play. Dundee United can use the game to give their entire first team some match experience, to help some first teamers in getting some game time in recovery from an injury, to test some youth players, basically they use the game for whatever purpose they want because the result doesn't count anyway. If on the same day Broughty play Dundee again Dundee use the game for whatever they want. Because neither game is competitive, it doesn't matter as neither Lochee United, nor Broughty are (dis)advantaged in the league. Because with colt teams in the league you never know who you will actually face, that can have a major impact on the outcome of the league. That's a big difference. I'd be happy to watch us play either Dundee or Dundee United "colts" in a friendly, but they should be kept away from the league.

If the LL (or any other league for that matter) would have used the fixtures to set 4 dates aside for each team that they can play friendlies against Celtic & Rangers colts, with teams having the chance to opt out of it if they don't want it, that wouldn't have been nearly as controversial.

• 4 weeks later...

The people who are immoral are the ones who want Scotland to lose. Not the ones who want Scottish football to try out ideas to develop more young players.

It is traitorous clowns who rather see their own national side lose, than have their part time teams finish 4 or 5 places lower in the league. 

It is divisive tribalism, that makes people want their own country to not produce top players. 

Most of these sides would be perfectly happy playing Celtic or Rangers second choice teams in a friendly. So why does it become a act of evil to play them in a league match?

This is just nonsense from the conservative forces who want Scotland to suffer,. 

I want Scottish clubs to do well in Europe and the international side to do well.. Some clowns could not care less about that and yet expect us to take their advice on how to help the national side, when all they care about is a part time team finishing 5 places higher in the league.

No wonder Scottish football fails with the divisive tribalistic attitude of putting your part time club  above Scotland in priority.  

23 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

No wonder Scottish football fails with the divisive tribalistic attitude of putting your part time club  above Scotland in priority.  

You seriously think fans of part time clubs want Scotland to fail? They don't. They also don't think youth teams in the league system will benefit anybody but the Old Firm. (Certainly not Scotland.)