Supporting Lowland League clubs against colts

Gordon EF

Last night, Lowland League clubs gave an indicative vote in favour of admitting old firm colt sides into the Lowland League for season 2021/22. 11 clubs voted for and 5 voted against. Assuming no clubs change their minds, this will pass at the Lowland League AGM next week.

There are plenty of threads on here discussing the merits or otherwise of colt sides in the Scottish football pyramid and this isn't a thread for this.

I'm trying to encourage all Scottish football fans from every club and every level of the pyramid who is against colt sides to commit to supporting those Lowland League clubs who vote against the colt proposal next week by attending at least one of their home games next season or buying a ticket via the donate a ticket website. The idea is to choose one home fixture for each club who votes against the colts and ideally, give them a sell out crowd (assuming we're allowed back into games by next season) and for those who can't make the game for whatever reason but still want to show their support, to donate online.

If this is a goer, I'll select fixtures where the Lowland League 'good guys' play against each other, once the fixtures are announced, and one home game will be chosen for each club. It'd be great to get out and show our moral and financial support for those clubs willing to stand up for the integrity of Scottish football and aren't willing to sell out their league for £3k. At around £8 per ticket, just 375 extra fans through the gate would be more than the OF are willing to pay each LL club to use their league as practice.

I've started a petition here: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/notocoltsides

It'd be great if everyone willing to do this could sign it. It's a way to gauge numbers and communicate with folk who're interested. Hopefully, if it takes off, a few Lowland League clubs who indicated they'll vote for this might reconsider (I doubt it but you never know).

The good guys are: Bonnyrigg Rose, Bo'ness United, Civil Service Strollers, Dalbeattie Star, and Edinburgh University.

Edited by Gordon EF

• 3 weeks later...

I support colt teams in the lower divisions. This about giving young Scottish layers opportunities. You should not put tribal loyalties above Scotland producing top players, 

I put the Scotland national team first. I also want to see Scottish clubs doing well in Europe,. 

I think the Highland League should allow Aberdeen, Inverness CT, Ross County and Peterhead to have colt teams in the Highland League. 

If it produces more top Scottish players then it is good,. 

How is it anything to do with integrity, or morality to stop colt teams playing in the lower divisions? 

HOW IS THIS A QUESTION OR MORALITY OR INTEGRITY? 

It is nothing to do with integrity or morality it is just conservative, anti the Scottish national team agenda to put tribal loyalties above the good of Scottish football.

They allow second choice reserve teams in the lower divisions in Spain, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Spain and Croatia. Have they lost all their morality and integrity because they play col teams in the lower leagues? Nope.

We used to have Division C where reserve teams played proper sides. Did Scotland have no integrity or morality then? 

I support all Scottish clubs.   

I do not see it an an issue of integrity or morality to stop Scottish players developing. 

But I would never put a part time team finishing 4 or 5 places higher in the league, above the Scottish national side.,

The true integrity and morality is to do what ever it takes for the Scottish national side to have top players, while still enabling Scottish club sides to do well in Europe.  

How is stopping young players develop showing integrity or morality. It is just cutting off your nose to spite your face/. .It is a lack of integrity to want a part time tram to finish 3 or 4 places in the Lowland League to be above that of the national side doing well. 

I love all Scottish football clubs. I want all Lowland League and Highland League sides to do well. But the priority is the Scottish national side. 

SUPPORT THE SCOTTISH INTERNATIONAL SIDE DEVELOPING TOP PLAYERS. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Pretty sure we allowed reserve teams in various Scottish leagues previously and the men’s National side has just qualified for its first tournament in nearly quarter of a century. Explain. 

It may be right or it may be wrong but it looks as though it's happening so opposers have to get on with it.

It won't take just one season to test it in any case and the" just one season" doesn't make sense and doesn't fool anyone. 

If it works or not will take min 5 - 7 years to find out.

There could be some good out of it IF the big clubs make automatic promotion/relegation between SPFL2 and the Lowland League happen in twelve months time. We shall see.  

On 28/05/2021 at 18:46, Jimmy Shaker said:

Pretty sure we allowed reserve teams in various Scottish leagues previously and the men’s National side has just qualified for its first tournament in nearly quarter of a century. Explain. 

In fairness, we came through Nations League C into a tournament including almost half of the countries in Europe. It's not like when we were one of 8 or 16 qualifying for Euros, or one of 9-15 qualifying for 5 World Cups in a row. We came through a back-door route only available to countries ranked 25-39 - and even then the seeding favoured us.

Not that I think any of that has anything to do with full-time professional youth sides playing non-league, of course. The main reason we've been surpassed by so many countries is a lack of focus on technique in youth football, and too much focus on competition.