Celtic vs St Johnstone, Wed 12 May, 2021

Another big game for St Johnstone, who need to secure 5th place to guarantee European football. A balancing act for the manager though as he tries to protect players for the cup final but keep on course to pip Livingston. 

We've played pretty well in all three games against Celtic but have nothing to show for it. Will they be in holiday mode or playing with the shackles off? 

I think the manager trusts his squad enough now that he'll prioritise fitness and the hope is we'll have enough quality to get through these last couple of games. 

Hoping to f**k we just play the youngsters but it looks very unlikely given that Brown will most likely start given they are collecting scarfs etc for his final game. It’s an absolute joke we have been sticking with the same lot with nothing to play for.

Anyway most likely scenario a low score draw with hardly any interest from our players and myself, will be clock watching after around 20 minutes most likely.

27 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

A point would be brilliant and Rangers to pump Livi leaving in our own hands against Livi on the last day.

We struggle there at the best of times, with a depleted squad and with nothing to play for i really can't see us getting a win.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Another big game for St Johnstone, who need to secure 5th place to guarantee European football. A balancing act for the manager though as he tries to protect players for the cup final but keep on course to pip Livingston. 

We've played pretty well in all three games against Celtic but have nothing to show for it. Will they be in holiday mode or playing with the shackles off? 

I think the manager trusts his squad enough now that he'll prioritise fitness and the hope is we'll have enough quality to get through these last couple of games. 

Got a point at Parkhead iirc 

1 hour ago, Old Pack said:

A point would be brilliant and Rangers to pump Livi leaving in our own hands against Livi on the last day.

If Rangers beat Livingston there's no difference between a draw and a defeat for us at Celtic Park in terms of it being in our own hands because we're ahead on goal difference, unless we take an absolute pumping at Celtic Park. For example, if Livingston were to lose 1-0 to Rangers we'd have to lose at least 4-0 for Livingston to have the advantage going in to the weekend. In that scenario a draw at McDiarmid would give Livingston fifth.

My inclination would be to make a few changes at Celtic, but equally - if we sneak the three points we virtually seal fifth barring a late season resurgence for Livingston. What kind of line up will Celtic play and what motivation will they have going into this? Who knows. It won't be easy no matter what happens.

That said, even rotating things we'll likely start with Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Booth and McCann no matter what happens. If Davidson, Craig, May and Parish are still isolating then that limits the scope for mixing it up even more. Even if he is available, I'd probably prefer Craig to be available for the final ahead of Bryson so I'd likely start Bryson with McCann on Wednesday. Middleton has probably earned himself a start. If May isn't back Kane will definitely play. So we're maybe looking at the only changes being Middleton and maybe MOH for Melamed and Wotherspoon?

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

5th means nothing compared to the Final, priority is clear and has been since we beat Rangers, for me.

We've not got a huge amount of options to bring in though. I'd honestly be chucking a start at Gilmour for this.

Clark, Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Rooney, Booth, Gilmour, McCann, Bryson, Kane, Middleton.

Important not to rest players too much and lose momentum. 

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

5th means nothing compared to the Final, priority is clear and has been since we beat Rangers, for me.

We've not got a huge amount of options to bring in though. I'd honestly be chucking a start at Gilmour for this.

Clark, Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Rooney, Booth, Gilmour, McCann, Bryson, Kane, Middleton.

Important not to rest players too much and lose momentum. 

Given that you have a game a full week ahead of the final to give your team a game,  you would hope that Davidson would play a full shadow team on Wednesday to try to keep your Cup Final team injury free and also not have them travelling unnecessarily to Weegieland.

Agree with joey. Play a lot of players who didn't start on the weekend then against Livi go for the strongest line up in preparation for the cup final.

If May and Craig are eligible, bring them in.  Rest McCann, Wotherspoon, Kane and Melamed.  Middleton to start, possibly MOH as well. Murray to get at least a half if he is past his quarantine period.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Given that you have a game a full week ahead of the final to give your team a game,  you would hope that Davidson would play a full shadow team on Wednesday to try to keep your Cup Final team injury free and also not have them travelling unnecessarily to Weegieland.

We arguably just need one win from two games to secure 5th, and this game is arguably "easier" to win than Livingston on Saturday.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

We arguably just need one win from two games to secure 5th, and this game is arguably "easier" to win than Livingston on Saturday.

You’ve got to believe in yourselves that you will win the Scottish Cup.

So it's Scotland's most successful and best team over the past decade v the team who could be the 2nd most successful team this decade?

A tight game with us shitting the bed defensively at some point. Kennedy to do the same thing again with the same team for no reason whatsoever.

A turgid 1-1.