2021 Scottish Cup Final (Hibernian v St.Johnstone)

3 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Would totally disagree on strength in depth.

We have 3 very good central midfielders in Gogic, Irvine and Newell. Ali McCann would definitely get into our team, Wotherspoon on his day possibly, if Liam Craig is a better player than Jackson Irvine though then I’m going to fly to Hampden and watch the game mid air.

After that though we have nothing, Hallberg is absolutely rubbish, Magennis has hardly kicked a ball for us and we don’t really have anything else.

The only players that will be on our bench that are of any value at all are Jamie Murphy and Darren McGregor. The other subs are either shite, too old or too young.

St Johnstone seem to have absolutely loads of CMs, Wotherspoon, Craig, McCann, Bryson, Davidson, Gilmour all capable at this level.

If you were going for the 3 best centre midfielders then yes possibly as you've got, but I picked it as a team.  Irvine is a better player than Craig but I see him far more as an attacking midfielder, so left him out behind McCann and Wotherspoon, maybe harshly but Wotherspoon has been immense for us this season.

It would be Gogic surely ahead of Craig as a like for like.  I just have seen far more of Craig and know the balance he brings to our team sitting in front of the defence.

19 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Gilmour all capable at this level.

Based on what? He's played about 100 minutes all in.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Based on what? He's played about 100 minutes all in.

I was sure I read him being praised by St Johnstone supporters in another thread for one of his performances, may be talking total shit though and misremembering praise for someone else.

Still more depth than we have in the middle of the park.

This must be quite an enticing cup final for a neutral.

I know a few folk are saying they're really confident about one team or another winning, but this must be as 50:50 a Cup Final as there's been in a while?

Genuinely, I don't think any outcome would be a surprise. A narrow win either way, ET and pens, Saints being totally disjointed post covid and Hibs hitting top form for a comfortable win... would think Saints winning by a few would be the least likely, especially after the roasting Ross gave Hibs about the LC semi second half collapse, but you never know.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

Only a few months ago I saw a Dundee United fan still claiming no Saints player would get in that Arabs side.

Disappointing from the Hibs fans not to follow suit.

Is it only Thursday?

P&B hibs fans are too sensible tbf, get on hibs.net, where there's a conspiracy the media are trying to sabotage them and in the space of a page have posters saying they'd love McCart/Kerr/McCann while simultaneously saying we have no players that anyone wants.

Mentioning that site gets guarantees bites from one of the Hibs fans on here too (apologies, forgotten their username).

Edited by RandomGuy.

Basically we are better at the back , Hibs better up front with quite an even midfield.   Actually feeling pretty good about this game and way better than the semi although I’ll be kakking  my pants come game day.  
Comparing 2014   Hibs feel very much like Utd.  A young manager touted along with an attacking team with future Scottish internationals but a team who we had in our pocket the few games before. The big difference is our team. They were mostly closer to the end of their careers, (especially the back line ) compared to our youthful side. I’ll be watching with my Utd supporting mate who gave me a lift back from the stadium that day so omens are good. That and getting to see Bobby Zlamal play the couple of games before   ....

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Finished for the weekend.

It’s just hit me. Oh f**k.

That feeling is amazing.

Imagine being a poor OF fan and never getting such a feeling of anticipation (apart from your 1st final, possibly)

St Johnstone are one win away from a trophy double after lifting the League Cup in February St Johnstone are one win away from a trophy double after lifting the League Cup in February
Scottish Cup final: St Johnstone v Hibernian
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow Date: Saturday, 22 May Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Coverage: Watch on BBC One Scotland, listen on BBC Radio Scotland, follow live text on the BBC Sport website & app

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson says he faces "difficult" decisions on team selection for Saturday's Scottish Cup final after the club's Covid-19 issues left his plans in disarray.

An outbreak meant the Perth side have been without a number of players in the last three games.

The squad trained on Wednesday and Davidson will monitor his players in the build-up to facing Hibernian as St Johnstone bid to complete a cup double.

"It is a hard situation," he said.

"They have come back training, it is not great for a professional athlete to miss 10 days and do nothing in their house.

"I will need to watch them training to assess their physical condition and where they are mentally as well.

"These are all factors. If you had asked me three weeks ago what my team was I probably would have told you, whereas now things have changed so it is up in the air.

"There are places up for grabs, it is going to be a difficult call on who to pick and I will only get it right if we win it."

A round of Covid testing at the start of the week returned all negative results, with Davidson keeping his "fingers crossed" Wednesday's screening produces the same outcome. 

It has been an unconventional and chaotic build-up for the Perth men as they attempt to add the Scottish Cup to their League Cup success.

"It is going to take a monumental effort from everyone involved to get a result on Saturday," added Davidson.

"This week it is basically turn up in your training gear, walk on to the pitch, walk off, pick up their packed lunch boxes on the way out and eat it in the car.

"It's a bit unfortunate, I would have also liked to get the boys suits and made it more a special time for them.

"But they are okay, they realise the magnitude of the game and after winning the League Cup, they know what they can achieve on Saturday."

Davidson's comments emphasise how tough the past few weeks have been, as he's one of the least moany managers in the league.  It would be an incredible achievement for us to win this after recent events and our build up.

1 hour ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

Why is it a 2pm kick off anyway?

The only reason I can come up with is the beeb didn't want extra time, penalties, celebrations etc running too close to Eurovision?

Premiere Sports has La Liga and that kicks off at 5pm so might be that?

Edited by robertodev

Off work today so nerves starting to really kick in! If everyone’s available and fit I think the team should be:

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Booth

Wotherspoon Kane Middleton

I wouldn’t be upset if it was May instead of Kane or Melamed instead of Middleton, but for me that’s our best XI over the park few weeks. I certainly can’t see us doing anything other than the above in the defence/midfield - the only question is which striker starts centrally and who supports along with Wotherspoon.

COYS.