What is the point of the Liberal Democrats?

Gordon EF

Surely they are terminal decline now? 

11 MPs in the whole of the U.K. 

only 4 MSPs 

only 1 seat in the  welsh parliament too. 

some of the numbers they were getting in some of the constituencies and even the regions were laughable. 

I don’t think this is a blip. Surely a fair few deposits lost which will hurt the coffers. 
The only people they seem to get elected are long standing incumbents with good local ratings. They couldn’t even get their leader elected at the last G.E. 

When those incumbents start to retire, they are done

8 minutes ago, Burning Barns said:

Did anyone on here even get a Lib Dem leaflet through the door during this election?

I got bumpf from the Tories, Labour, SNP, Greens, Reform UK, Family Party, Alba, and All for Unity. Not sure about the Libertarians, UKIP, and the Abolish Scotland Party, but I think I had something from at least one of them.

Not a peep from Willie Rennie's jolly gang, which is a wee shame considering my vote was still up for grabs until the last minute.

Spoiler

giphy.gif&key=588f971ced7f400d7cac303a17

6 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

Surely they are terminal decline now? 

11 MPs in the whole of the U.K. 

only 4 MSPs 

only 1 seat in the  welsh parliament too. 

some of the numbers they were getting in some of the constituencies and even the regions were laughable. 

I don’t think this is a blip. Surely a fair few deposits lost which will hurt the coffers. 
The only people they seem to get elected are long standing incumbents with good local ratings. They couldn’t even get their leader elected at the last G.E. 

When those incumbents start to retire, they are done

Is the BBC still going to treat them as though nothing’s changed when it comes to political programming and news reporting? It seems so.

1 minute ago, Merkie84 said:

I wonder if an election where they get 0 members elected , the BBC and Sky will still keep their graphic. 

Surely. not too many elections away from that scenario somewhere?

2024 General Election results

CONSERVATIVE PARTY: 376 seats
LABOUR PARTY: 162 seats
LIBERAL DEMOCRATS: 0 seats
WHATEVER FARAGE IS DOING NOW PARTY: 24 seats

Scottish National Party: 59 seats
Democratic Unionist Party: 9 seats
Sinn Fein: 8 seats
Plaid Cymru: 6 seats
Green Party: 4 seats
Others: 3 seats

They served as an opposition in areas where there was little industry and the poorer locals didn't want to vote with working class people in towns. That's why they are strongest in the Nice But Dim Southwest of England, the Fife outback and the northern isles.

Charlie Kennedy managed to revive them a bit adding students students and non conformist types but the Greens have that now. 

They will limp along for as long as there are still country bumpkins. 

Wonder how they'd be doing now if they'd told the Tories to GTF and stuck by their principles.

Obviously that wasn't an option because rapaciousness but, considering what people have since voted for, the electorate would probably have blamed them for hindering the Tories' attempts to empty the public coffers into their friends and families' bank accounts.

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I got bumpf from the Tories, Labour, SNP, Greens, Reform UK, Family Party, Alba, and All for Unity. Not sure about the Libertarians, UKIP, and the Abolish Scotland Party, but I think I had something from at least one of them.

Not a peep from Willie Rennie's jolly gang, which is a wee shame considering my vote was still up for grabs until the last minute.

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif&key=588f971ced7f400d7cac303a17

These were the ones I got.  

I'm puzzled as to how the Lib Dems even got the votes they did receive.  If it wasn't for TV coverage of Rennie, no-one would even know they existed.

5 minutes ago, Burning Barns said:

These were the ones I got.  

I'm puzzled as to how the Lib Dems even got the votes they did receive.  If it wasn't for TV coverage of Rennie, no-one would even know they existed.

They spend all their money in the few seats they have a chance of winning in. 

The Orkney and Shetland Party.

Absolute minter for my seat of Embra West/Western at both Westminster and Holyrood, though the only reason they win here and in NE Fife is because the Tories aren't the viable challenger to the SNP.

Wonder how they'd be doing now if they'd told the Tories to GTF and stuck by their principles.
Obviously that wasn't an option because rapaciousness but, considering what people have since voted for, the electorate would probably have blamed them for hindering the Tories' attempts to empty the public coffers into their friends and families' bank accounts.

I think Charlie wanted to explore a coalition with Labour as well.

35 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They spend all their money in the few seats they have a chance of winning in. 

28 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, this. I'm in Edinburgh West, and we got an absolute fucking ton of Lib Dem leaflets and pretend newspapers.

Aye, Ditto in Argyll & Bute.

Every single leaflet features Alan Reid crowing about his crowning achievement (the 5p per litre fuel subsidy for the islands)

That dates from 2012.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think Charlie wanted to explore a coalition with Labour as well.

Aye, I remember Labour desperately trying to get their attention, like an old man running to catch a bus that's slowly pulling away from the stance, along with anyone else who could contribute a couple of seats here and there (except the SNP, of course)..

That would really have killed them with an electorate moving to the right  :lol:

17 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Serious question. Particularly in Scotland, what function do they serve, what is their purpose? The rest of "main" (inverted commas because the Busted Flushes are now technically a minor party) have some identifiable purpose, even if they don't particularly live up to that. The SNP are a fairly mainstream pro-independence party, the Tories are the right-of-centre uber-yoon option, Labour are a left-of-centre pro-union option, the Greens are primarily a more radical/progressive left option who are pro-independence. What the f**k are the Lib Dems?

What exactly differentiates your average Lib Dem from your average Labour voter/member apart from geographical quirks? Labour and the Tories, whatever they might say are primarily pro-union parties (despite Labour goons clearly being mandated to mention 'helf'n'education' as much as humanly possible). Are the Lib Dems really still trying to be a third pro-union party who're slightly in between two other pro-union parties. Aside from that being strategically and electorally pointless, is it not just pointless on a deep fundamental level?

I get that UK-wide there at least seemed to be a logically consistent space for them to occupy in the past as a more centrist party who could champion a few things like electoral reform that the big two would never touch. But in Scottish politics today, they've essentially just been boxed into a fundamentally pointless position on the political topography.

Shouldn't they give serious consideration to their existence rather than whether they should replace a gormless simpleton with a narcissistic simpleton as leader?

Maybe @Ad Lib could (strongly) advise you?

Ad Lib could've been their leader* by now.

Thankfully, he seems to have got a proper job. Lucky escape.

Edit: ...and Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, no doubt.

Edited by BFTD

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Ad Lib could've been their leader* by now.

Edit: ...and Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, no doubt.

Well,  what's left of it.