If the Brits were to impose a North of Ireland solution to the Scottish problem

54 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Exactly where they are today plus Berwick! 

I know the thread is humourous, but remember it was 40% for the SNP in the three constituencies and you don't need to go too far back to when most consitituencies across Scotland were polling below 20% for the SNP so the south is hardly a lost cause.

Yes however they are very happy to vote Tory,  we can convince them to want to be part of an independent scotland, question is does an independent Scotland want them? 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

^^^ The deluded ramblings of Neil Oliver. 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Scottish (and UK post 1707) monarchs hated the clan system and  tried to destroy it for hundreds of years, because it limited the control that Scottish monarchs had over the area. They tried to force clan chiefs into Scottish/British society for centuries, with the last stand for the old way of life being Culloden. 

There was always a far more distinct cultural boundary between the Highlands and rScotland than the Lowlands and England. 

Full house!

12 hours ago, madwullie said:

That sounds really fucking interesting 

Edit: f**k it, bought it 

It's one of his better books in terms of staying interesting and fun once the initial buzz of the weird concept wears off!

14 hours ago, G51 said:

This effectively already happened.

I mean, you're looking for an area with a distinctly different culture than it's neighbour, right? One that was largely autonomous until the expansionist state next door to it destroyed that autonomy by forcing a complete realignment of society? That expansionist state then embarked on a programme of ethnic cleansing that was only stopped by the central government after large public outcry finally forced it to oppose the interests of the ruling class?

The area is the Highlands and Islands. The expansionist state was Scotland (and after 1707, it was the UK).

History is instructive. Therefore, the new boundary is Dalwhinnie, and everything south of it stays in England. We just go back to how things were before Culloden in 1745.

I thought you were about to allude to the Dal Riadans assimilation of Pictland. Dal Riada's the proper evil empire in this story and why west coasters shouldn't be trusted to this day. 

Thought I could get Norwegian citizenship out of a 1334 scenario but turns out having a Shetland grandparent finally returned to the rightful Norse fatherland (she would have approved) probably wouldn't be enough. Still stuck in the other passports channel on EU entry.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

30 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Thought I could get Norwegian citizenship out of a 1334 scenario but turns out having a Shetland grandparent finally returned to the rightful Norse fatherland (she would have approved) probably wouldn't be enough. Still stuck in the other passports channel on EU entry.

I thought you were from Northern Ireland? You are entitled to an Irish passport.

Happy to allow the Borders region to join the newly independent Northumbrian Republic. Give them the boot licking headache.

The People's Republic of Leith to be an autonomous, lawless region with a liberal drugs and prostitution policy. So basically very little change here.

Edinburgh to be stripped of capital city status and the city centre to be walled up and designated as a heavily taxed safe zone for proud north Brits and a theme park for tourists.

The parliament/soviet will spend time in various places around the country.

Aberdeen to be completely demolished and in it's place, New Dundee will be built. A thriving North Sea port city and energy hub.

The remaining Highlands and Islands residents who have not been assigned to work camps and gulags, will receive some further devolution of power. 

11 minutes ago, Kejan said:

I thought you were from Northern Ireland? You are entitled to an Irish passport.

People make these bizarre inferences if you can post in a TFS thread with something slightly more insightful than Missus Bunfield. Then you get stalked from thread to thread for months on end by the real screwballs. My grandfather lived in Ulster as a young man in the area where his mother was from originally and later also in Belfast but was born in Scotland and returned home again later as his part of Ulster was now in the Free State and he viewed what Sir Edward Carson and the UUP had done on partition as a betrayal. I could have had an RoI passport up to the 1980s when they changed the rules on great-grandparent eligibility but putting the paperwork together would have been very challenging due to a records fire during the Civil War in the 1920s and doing so would not have gone down well with the older generation to put it mildly.

15 hours ago, Saltire said:

Exactly where they are today plus Berwick! 

I know the thread is humourous, but remember it was 40% for the SNP in the three constituencies and you don't need to go too far back to when most consitituencies across Scotland were polling below 20% for the SNP so the south is hardly a lost cause.

Remember that this is P&B.

All those virtuous posters who decry any discrimination based on people's backgrounds, absolutely reserve the right to bracket people together in homogeneous blocks, based on their er... backgrounds.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Borders, dumfries whatever all teuchtar bumpkin country to me.

Fair enough.

Lots of people aren't comfortable with being ignorant p***ks, but we're all different I suppose.

Happy to allow the Borders region to join the newly independent Northumbrian Republic. Give them the boot licking headache.
The People's Republic of Leith to be an autonomous, lawless region with a liberal drugs and prostitution policy. So basically very little change here.
Edinburgh to be stripped of capital city status and the city centre to be walled up and designated as a heavily taxed safe zone for proud north Brits and a theme park for tourists.
The parliament/soviet will spend time in various places around the country.
Aberdeen to be completely demolished and in it's place, New Dundee will be built. A thriving North Sea port city and energy hub.
The remaining Highlands and Islands residents who have not been assigned to work camps and gulags, will receive some further devolution of power. 

A permanent armoured train chugging round the country fighting the fascists only to get locked outside Central when the temperature dips an extra five degrees