Raith Rovers vs Dundee FC & Dundee FC vs Raith Rovers

Probably, I think Raith posters are being strangely ambivalent about it all here. That being said, your 'fairly easy' win in January was with both of our starting CBs being teenagers making their starting debuts and a youth player in at CM as we had injuries everywhere, and you were well beaten at Dens. Plus the fact that we're on quite a decent stretch and have fresher legs. I will still however be absolutely bricking it come Wednesday evening though, hoping Cummings sticks one in early to settle the nerves personally.
The draw at Dens was after we were 1-0 up and missed umpteen chances to stretch the lead - only to concede the equaliser 4 minutes from the end.

That's my biggest fear - McPake not closing out games with shite substitutions and defending too deep.

As others have said - we defend best when we are attacking.

Just now, stevoraith said:

Seems strange to be facing a team who’s fans are actually confident they’ll win.

Have kind of got used to the “we’re shitter than you” etiquette this season.

Genuinely think it's the first time I've seen our fans this season doing it.

I'm not buying it personally. Will continue bricking it until a Dundee win is confirmed.

What’s the deal with the lockdown levels obviously these games are closed doors but will the final have any chance of a crowd for whichever teams are in it?

I’m sure I read some where that fans will be allowed in to the final(s), but only home fans. Can’t recall the defined number and/or percentage. I’m sure the Championship/League 1 games are being moved a day so they can accommodate fans entry. This was on Twitter, and I can’t remember the page, to link it. So it might be bollocks what I’ve just wrote...

19 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

What’s the deal with the lockdown levels obviously these games are closed doors but will the final have any chance of a crowd for whichever teams are in it?

3 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

I’m sure I read some where that fans will be allowed in to the final(s), but only home fans. Can’t recall the defined number and/or percentage. I’m sure the Championship/League 1 games are being moved a day so they can accommodate fans entry. This was on Twitter, and I can’t remember the page, to link it. So it might be bollocks what I’ve just wrote...

SPFL: Championship & League 1 & 2 play-off finals moved to allow fans - BBC Sport

I'll be feeling confident if we play a sensible team, queue McPake tombola time (e.g. McGee back into midfield, McDaid on and drop Adam), and/or trying to hold on if we get a goal, instead of playing to our strengths. Problem is, he just doesn't seem to learn. I was really impressed a few weeks back with Raith when they gave Dunfermline a hiding but not much evidence that that kind of performance is replicated regularly. So fingers crossed on team selection

25 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Seems strange to be facing a team who’s fans are actually confident they’ll win.

Have kind of got used to the “we’re shitter than you” etiquette this season.

As a dee I'll never be confident and especially this season. I'd decided months ago we may sneak a playoff spot but would get papped out too easily at some point.  I was more worried about being nearer the bottom so I'm just a pessimist.

Raith have looked every bit a League One side that's just been promoted in our draw and win against them bar the last 10-15 minutes of each game where McPake decided to try and hang on. Ultimately I reckon in such a high pressure situation, if he resorts to that sort of tactic again, we'll be bodied. In the latter of those games, however, Raith had injury problems and were running out of steam and eventually slid below us in the table.

The same stands true for our defeat against Raith. One of our poorer performances of the season with a whole raft of injury issues. 2 teenage debutants at CH with Jack Hamilton to guide them through the game is always going to lead to defensive mishaps. Thankfully, we have been stronger at the back since then and Charlie Adam has regained some form after his bout with Covid.

Therefore, there's not much to be gained from looking at those wins for each side. As for the draw? Well, we're both very different sides since then. We had a relatively competent keeper in goal, a striker that will bury most chances that come his way and natural width. In that game, Graham Dorrans played for us and Callum Ferrie was in goal. Changed days since then! Meanwhile, Raith had no Lewis Vaughan and had Lars Lokotsch up front!

There's not a lot to be read from those 3 games IMO.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

We’ve stumbled upon a couple of formations that appear to work for us. 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 which we seem very comfortable in games playing. I fully expect McPake  to go his favourite 5-3-2. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Excellent, then JMcG can roll out my favored 2-3-5!!

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Raith have looked every bit a League One side that's just been promoted in our draw and win against them bar the last 10-15 minutes of each game where McPake decided to try and hang on. Ultimately I reckon in such a high pressure situation, if he resorts to that sort of tactic again, we'll be bodied. In the latter of those games, however, Raith had injury problems and were running out of steam and eventually slid below us in the table.

The same stands true for our defeat against Raith. One of our poorer performances of the season with a whole raft of injury issues. 2 teenage debutants at CH with Jack Hamilton to guide them through the game is always going to lead to defensive mishaps. Thankfully, we have been stronger at the back since then and Charlie Adam has regained some form after his bout with Covid.

Therefore, there's not much to be gained from looking at those wins for each side. As for the draw? Well, we're both very different sides since then. We had a relatively competent keeper in goal, a striker that will bury most chances that come his way and natural width. In that game, Graham Dorrans played for us and Callum Ferrie was in goal. Changed days since then! Meanwhile, Raith had no Lewis Vaughan and had Lars Lokotsch up front!

There's not a lot to be read from those 3 games IMO.

We were missing four or five starters (depends how you count them) as well when we beat you, so that game was certainly a one off. The other two reeked of Dundee tactics for this year, so the question would be can McPake contain himself from falling back to that idiocy? While I feel that Dundee will likely prevail, the fact that the Rovers feel they have nothing to lose, and believe in themselves, does leave room for the surprise.

3 hours ago, stevoraith said:

I'm not confident, I couldn't care if we win or lose. If we go up, shit hits fan. If we lose, then there is a slight chance we might get it right next season. 

With our strongest team available (ie Musonda) I would be fairly confident.

I honestly don’t think we will progress without a win in 1st leg and I hope McGlynn feels the same, we need to set up with nothing in mind but to win, impose ourselves on them and use our surface to our advantage.

Davo was bad enough but now we are faced with Bene being partnered by Mendy?!  Not for me, he has at least one bombscare moment every 30mins and with stakes so high, I wouldn’t be risking it. Cooney to come in perhaps?

Slightly off topic, Benedictus has not long turned 29... he seems to have been around forever! Did he make his Dundee debut while in primary school?!  I mind talking to him and Rab Douglas as Dundee players in the stand at East Fife when we played in that pre season thing with Southend, seems yonks ago!