Raith Rovers vs Dundee FC & Dundee FC vs Raith Rovers

10 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I'm probably missing something obvious here but we beat Dundee fairly easiliy at Stark's earlier in the season, and drew and only lost by one at Dens? Shouldn't we be slightly more confident of going through to the final?

Probably, I think Raith posters are being strangely ambivalent about it all here. That being said, your 'fairly easy' win in January was with both of our starting CBs being teenagers making their starting debuts and a youth player in at CM as we had injuries everywhere, and you were well beaten at Dens. Plus the fact that we're on quite a decent stretch and have fresher legs. I will still however be absolutely bricking it come Wednesday evening though, hoping Cummings sticks one in early to settle the nerves personally.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Probably, I think Raith posters are being strangely ambivalent about it all here. That being said, your 'fairly easy' win in January was with both of our starting CBs being teenagers making their starting debuts and a youth player in at CM as we had injuries everywhere, and you were well beaten at Dens. Plus the fact that we're on quite a decent stretch and have fresher legs. I will still however be absolutely bricking it come Wednesday evening though, hoping Cummings sticks one in early to settle the nerves personally.

I would certainly agree that Dundee are the more “in form” team, and that they are probably also the better team, if at 100%, on any given day. However, this is exactly why we play the matches, because anything and everything can and does happen.

With the first match at Stark’s Park, we have a punchers chance to really put some pressure on Dundee, if we can score an early goal to take a lead. As we saw today, after our goal, the Pars had to press and it opened up more opportunities for us. The same could easily happen Wednesday, which would make for a very interesting match.

If we can somehow take a lead into the second match, the pressure on McPake and the team should at least about quadruple, and that could be good for us too. I have no illusions about our chances, but they certainly aren’t nil. It should be interesting to see the betting lines.

Yes, Dundee are favourites especially with the extra recovery time but there’s absolutely no pressure on this Rovers team. We’ve gone far beyond what anyone would have expected this season and yesterday showed the togetherness in this squad. The pressure to go up is definitely more on Dundee. As Tx said take a lead and who knows what the pressure could start to do. The way Dundee sat back at Dens and handed us a route back into a game we should have been absolute also-rans in gives a bit of hope. All that said, I still think two bruising games against the Pars will take their toll on our squad. But you never know. 

Plus McPake has had plenty of time to plan...
Mcpake having plenty of time to plan for these games is probably(definitely)a bad thing for us.

He's most likely spent his time playing football manager to work out a team,formation and tactics.

6 hours ago, grumswall said:

It surely goes without saying that if you can't beat a team that you face in the playoffs that contain those players, you don't deserve to go up?

Fully expect Dundee to progress from this round and couldn't care less beyond the potential financial benefit of playing in the top league. Who really wants to play in a league where finishing in the top half is the best you can ever hope for? At least in the championship there's the glamour of chasing a league title, such as it is.

Can't agree with that.  Having travelled to the likes of Albion Rovers, Brechin, Cove and Peterhead in very recent years - and seen us done over there - seeing the Rovers play at Premiership grounds would be unbelievable. Very unlikely, but you have to aim for it.

The games between the sides were generally close, but you have to feel Dundee are hitting form at the right time and have had that wee bit extra time to prepare.  

Free hit for us, we've had a brilliant, if very surprising to some, season to be in top four of the league all the way through.  Very proud of what McGlynn, Smudger and the team have managed to do and whatever happens in the playoffs we have had an amazing season.  Dundee are a decent side on their day and have had a bit more time for their team to rest but tbh anything can happen in games like this.  Good luck to the Rovers and a big thank you for what you've achieved whatever the results still to come😁

Edited by lellywong

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

IIRC Dundee posters wanted McPake burned at the stake after that game!

Ultimately the league table doesn't lie and Dundee were better than us over 27 games and are favourites to progress. I just think it's slightly defeatist to use language such as "a free hit" which gives the impression than we have no chance against a team that we only finished 2 points behind in the league.

Anyone thinking Dundee or McPake will be under pressure in these games are kidding themselves on. We’ve got the most loyal of owners who will look upon this season’s goal of being 2nd and having a shot at promotion as achieved meaning none of the management staff will be under any pressure. 

That game down at Kirkcaldy included 3 teenagers making their 1st start of the season, Sow upfront and Hamilton in goals, a side decimated by injuries and covid, changed days people.  

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Anyone thinking Dundee or McPake will be under pressure in these games are kidding themselves on. We’ve got the most loyal of owners who will look upon this season’s goal of being 2nd and having a shot at promotion as achieved meaning none of the management staff will be under any pressure. 

That game down at Kirkcaldy included 3 teenagers making their 1st start of the season, Sow upfront and Hamilton in goals, a side decimated by injuries and covid, changed days people.  

If you lose this two-legged tie to the Rovers, you'll be hurling yourselves at the keyboard to demand McPake's resignation for the umpteenth time this season, and rightly so. 

Take your Douglas Ross tempering of expectations somewhere else. 

Disinclined as the workshy parasites are to stick a head above a rampart these days, it's no surprise that no turf accountants have priced this up as yet.

I fancy the linoleum workers might be value to give the 'Dee the runaround on their articicial flax field in good weather. Forecast for Wednesday is non-committal. Likely to be typical Scottish coastal May weather. Sunshine, showers, moderate breeze.

This is Dundee's first ever play-off. Remarkable when thinking of how they've dodged between divisions over the past 30 years. Raith had the worst play-off record of any SPFL club before yesterday's triumph. The 2019 win over Forfar being their only win in seven attempts.

I'd be surprised if the Premiership team doesn't cruise past the winners in the decider.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth
Typo

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

If you lose this two-legged tie to the Rovers, you'll be hurling yourselves at the keyboard to demand McPake's resignation for the umpteenth time this season, and rightly so. 

We'll be doing that if he takes us up.

The play-off is irrelevant to most Dee's thoughts on McPake's time in charge.

That has nothing to do with our owners thoughts on the matter.

8 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

If we win I want him gone 🤷🏼‍♂️ I however don’t make the decisions at Dens. McPake is under zero pressure going into this. 

10 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Did the Rovers not have injury problems for that game as well if so it has to be the case of swings and roundabouts.  If not you have a good point.

You tell me. Dundee will have at least 5 changes to the starting 11 from that game and a vastly improved bench to call upon as well. 

Tbh my only fear is McPake and his tactical decisions around the 70th minute mark. The 2 games at Dens were very comfortable until he decided to see out the games by sitting in with 20 minutes to go. Time will tell I suppose.