Play-off Semis, Morton v Montrose

5 hours ago, Scorge said:

greggy.jpg.41a27c72b40ee4f3a9965e7691229b72.jpg

Yus!

Below par first half, much more awake after. Two great goals. I refuse to get carried away (the scar of last time) but there's not much to fear in this Mor-ten side, I reckon they aren't terrible per se, but don't have any flair or x-factor about them, and they can't complain if they're going shopping for the bucket and spade on Tuesday night.

Who would want to sign him ?  It’s like saying if Falkirk had won last Saturday Connor Sammon should have been given a new contract. Good luck in the rest of the Play Offs

15 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Nah, you’ve been looking for ‘easy’ explanations for our general failings for weeks...

McGinty, pish is he is, has been scapegoat-in-chief... he doesn’t play, we get beat, we’re as bad in that second half as we’ve been all season... and the verdict is that McGinn playing in front of Lyon is one of the main causes?

This stuff about not needing both Jacobs and McGinn because it’s too ‘defensive’ is just mental. We can barely scrabble together a handful of credible professional footballers and your answer is to leave one of the few we have out? By all means play Lyon as well, but Jacobs and McGinn are certain starters.

We were in control of that game at half-time, the set-up was fine, largely because Oliver was coming deep to make it work. The second half was pure collective shitebaggery on the part of players and manager, who had no answer to a team coming out more aggressive (and with the wind behind their backs). To respond by giving it ‘so-and-so shouldn’t have started’ and ‘as predicted’ is just scape-goating.

Btw, if McGinty had fucked up for the goal that let them back in instead of Fjortoft, Inverclyde Royal would be out of beds. As it is, barely a word.

It’s fair enough to talk about the individual failings of any player - Christ knows we’ve got enough to talk about - but it’s a deflection away from the real reasons we get beat or fail to win.

Edited to say my original post was over the top, made while still ragin at that second-half performance. The point about scapegoating, though, remains.

Yes  obviously our issues are bigger than any one individual, but I'm struggling with the idea that you can completely divorce the overall issues with the system from issues with individual players. Part of the reason we are so passive, so lacking aggression and were completely outfought and outplayed in that second half was the personnel - as you've said yourself by pointing to shitebaggery on the part of some players - so why wouldn't we discuss a potential change to it?

You're not wrong that we can barely scrape together a handful of players good enough - our match day squad will always contain players who wouldn't get near the Montrose, Cove or Airdrie teams or for that matter the Forfar or Dumbarton teams, with at least one making the starting XI. However while you complain that I'm wanting to leave one of the few competent footballers out, MacPherson is already doing this as Lyon and Colville are sitting on the bench, and hilariously watching Cameron Blues get on ahead of them.

If we're only going to play with two central midfielders then we're unavoidably leaving two competent footballers out. Can we not discuss which ones would be appropriate, particularly when Lyon is someone who could provide the energy and intensity the whole team is lacking?

As for Fjortoft, yeah that was an absolutely appalling performance. Had he delivered that against Alloa or Arbroath I'd probably have been as raging about him as I was about McGinty after Arbroath & ICT, but I couldn't get angry yesterday. I've been saying for months that our only route to survival is scraping away from 9th and we'll definitely go down if we're in the playoffs, and I've been saying all week that Montrose are favourites. I expected to lose yesterday and it was just grim confirmation of the inevitable rather than anything to get angry about.

16 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

you manscarf prancing Renfrewshire diddy.

Your previous double come t was just plain stupid, but this one was quite funny. 

It took you to the arse end of the season to do it, but - well done you. 👏

13 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

True, I don't think anybody in Montrose is counting their chickens just yet. QOS two years ago is still fresh in the memory.

Morton are not that Queen of the South team.  In 35 games in all competitions this season we've only scored 30 goals. We've only scored twice in eight of those games, one of those needing extra time, and we've only won by more than one goal once. They had Stephen Dobbie who scored over 40 goals that season and Lyndon Dykes who would be a Scotland international within 18 months, we have Kalvin Orsi and Robbie Muirhead.

Morton are not going to turn this round with a thumping win. Scraping a 1-0 and penalties isn't impossible but you saw how we defend and how much space you were finding; keeping a clean sheet is unlikely.

Fan of the club which finished second in the division pre-match:

On 08/05/2021 at 10:59, Girth said:

Fjortoft to sign for us. 

5:00 in the below you'll see Fjortoft at Montrose's first goal:

10 hours ago, MontroseMedia said:

It's a fantastic finish, but he makes two howlers in 10 seconds and avoiding either one of them would have stopped it going as far as a shot.

Edited by Dunning1874

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Fan of the club which finished second in the division pre-match:

5:00 in the below you'll see Fjortoft at Montrose's first goal:

It's a fantastic finish, but he makes two howlers in 10 seconds and avoiding either one of them would have stopped it going as far as a shot.

Shame. I’m sure he’s looked decent before?

The defending for that first goal is embarrassing, fjortoft looking like a deer in the headlights and seeming like he doesn’t know what marking a man is. We deserve the Seaside.

Totally hopless

No wonder we are going down

What the hell do they do all week

Full time fuds

It's getting to the stage where I wish they would just put us out our misery. It's not just the performance yesterday, it was the other games against Alloa and Arbroath  - games we had to win. 

It's not just the players or squad in general, it's the Club itself which is just a mess at the moment and maybe that's affecting performances. Aided by the fact we just don't have the players good enough to compete. 

Right now we are where we deserve to be, and that's heading to League  1. No excuses really, we are just not good enough 

Crawford Rae really has a lot to answer  for since he became chairman. I knew he had no interest in the Club, but fek me! 

Brand new regime in place for next season and start off with a basic core of players to build on going forward. 

It's no quick fix and we may be decent/average League 1 team for a while.......... 

19 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Can you put a tune to that?

Not quite. But with only a slight alteration it becomes a passable Haiku:

Totally hopeless

All week? Full time fuds.

7 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Not quite. But with only a slight alteration it becomes a passable Haiku:

Totally hopeless

All week? Full time fuds.