Play-off Semis, Morton v Montrose

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Eh, what hatred of McGinn is this exactly?

My "hatred" of McGinty is based on a rational analysis of him clearly being the worst centre back in the division so I don't accept that it's irrational, but I am regularly stating the fact he's shite so I see why someone might interpret it that way or be rubbed up the wrong way by it.

I've done no such thing with McGinn, I've just occasionally argued that he should be dropped and regularly argued for him to be subbed during games, because when we have a desperate need to get up the park and create - like the Alloa and Arbroath games as well as today - he's a passenger.

He's capable of being a tidy holding midfielder who can recycle possession and had excellent performances in a game like Motherwell where there was no onus on us to attack, but he's not going to make any kind of meaningful attacking contribution in the way Lyon or Colville can, and this is especially a problem when we're set up with a midfield four as we were today. He was a complete passenger, as he has been for weeks,

There's no need for both Jacobs and McGinn in the same side and as Jacobs is the better player, McGinn's the one who should be dropped to accommodate a player who might actually create something in a side so devoid of attacking quality.

Nah, you’ve been looking for ‘easy’ explanations for our general failings for weeks...

McGinty, pish is he is, has been scapegoat-in-chief... he doesn’t play, we get beat, we’re as bad in that second half as we’ve been all season... and the verdict is that McGinn playing in front of Lyon is one of the main causes?

This stuff about not needing both Jacobs and McGinn because it’s too ‘defensive’ is just mental. We can barely scrabble together a handful of credible professional footballers and your answer is to leave one of the few we have out? By all means play Lyon as well, but Jacobs and McGinn are certain starters.

We were in control of that game at half-time, the set-up was fine, largely because Oliver was coming deep to make it work. The second half was pure collective shitebaggery on the part of players and manager, who had no answer to a team coming out more aggressive (and with the wind behind their backs). To respond by giving it ‘so-and-so shouldn’t have started’ and ‘as predicted’ is just scape-goating.

Btw, if McGinty had fucked up for the goal that let them back in instead of Fjortoft, Inverclyde Royal would be out of beds. As it is, barely a word.

It’s fair enough to talk about the individual failings of any player - Christ knows we’ve got enough to talk about - but it’s a deflection away from the real reasons we get beat or fail to win.

Edited to say my original post was over the top, made while still ragin at that second-half performance. The point about scapegoating, though, remains.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

40 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Eh, what hatred of McGinn is this exactly?

My "hatred" of McGinty is based on a rational analysis of him clearly being the worst centre back in the division so I don't accept that it's irrational, but I am regularly stating the fact he's shite so I see why someone might interpret it that way or be rubbed up the wrong way by it.

I've done no such thing with McGinn, I've just occasionally argued that he should be dropped and regularly argued for him to be subbed during games, because when we have a desperate need to get up the park and create - like the Alloa and Arbroath games as well as today - he's a passenger.

He's capable of being a tidy holding midfielder who can recycle possession and had excellent performances in a game like Motherwell where there was no onus on us to attack, but he's not going to make any kind of meaningful attacking contribution in the way Lyon or Colville can, and this is especially a problem when we're set up with a midfield four as we were today. He was a complete passenger, as he has been for weeks,

There's no need for both Jacobs and McGinn in the same side and as Jacobs is the better player, McGinn's the one who should be dropped to accommodate a player who might actually create something in a side so devoid of attacking quality.

McGinn was finished in his last season with us, injuries have taken their toll on him. Astonished Hibs signed him.

As you say he is tidy enough on the ball but he can't get around the pitch like he used to. 

8 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

McGinn was finished in his last season with us, injuries have taken their toll on him. Astonished Hibs signed him.

As you say he is tidy enough on the ball but he can't get around the pitch like he used to. 

Nobody’s arguing he’s not good enough for Hibs... but the idea that he’s not good enough for this piss-poor Morton team, mobility issues or not, is laughable.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

I'll pronounce it whatever way I want you manscarf prancing Renfrewshire diddy.

Thank you.

Dearie me, you do seem to have hit a raw nerve there. 

images.jpg

44 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

This tie is still very much on a knife edge.
As piss poor as we were in the first half I thought we just about deserved the win in the end.
Still all to play for on Tuesday.

True, I don't think anybody in Montrose is counting their chickens just yet. QOS two years ago is still fresh in the memory.

58 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

This tie is still very much on a knife edge.
As piss poor as we were in the first half I thought we just about deserved the win in the end.
Still all to play for on Tuesday.

Queens lost 2-1 at Montrose then best them 5-0 at Palmerston all is not lost for Morton as you say all to play for on Tuesday 

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Queens lost 2-1 at Montrose then best them 5-0 at Palmerston all is not lost for Morton as you say all to play for on Tuesday 

Queens had Dobbie, though.  Morton don't have a player half as good as him.

5 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We have won one game by two goals or more all season so that's not happening. 

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

There’s more chance of man standing on the surface of Mars by Tuesday than there is of this Morton team scoring five goals in a game.

When Tuesday comes I’ll no doubt be watching and hoping they win but my overriding feeling at this stage is that I’m just desperate for this season to finish, regardless of the outcome.