Play-off Semis, Morton v Montrose

No thread for this less than 24 hours before the first leg tells you everything you need to know...

As bad as we’ve been, the play-offs are a stand-alone opportunity to make the season so far irrelevant.

I’d like to see the following:

—————-McAdams—————-

—Ledger——McLean——Fjortoft—

Hynes———-Jacobs———-Strapp

———-McGinn———Lyon———-

——————Nesbitt——————

——————-Oliver——————-

[Colville and McGuffie from the bench]

If we can’t beat Montrose over two legs (no disrespect intended), we’ll thoroughly deserve to go down.

We deserve to go down regardless and Montrose could well give us a chasing after their truly glorious exploits midweek.

That said, by far the most likely outcome here is a low scoring draw, followed by another low scoring draw, extra time and penalties just like in all our recent league games and our  thrilling cup run.

I think Airdrie could be the winners of these Play Offs. They are a horrible team to play against, a bit like a lesser version of the Livingston team that got out the Championship through the play offs a few years back. They are actually the form team in Div 1. 

Montrose play the best football of the three Div 1 sides, they play the ball well through midfield and down the left side, but the guy McLean up front is hopeless. 

Cove have the best finisher in Megginson and they can lay the boot in a fair bit.

Morton. They need to be switched on and up for it from the off or they could come a cropper to any of the three.

With our aptitude at drawing games it's not out of the question that we sneak our way through via two 0-0s and a penalty shootout, but if we're being honest Montrose are the favourites here.

I don't see this team managing not to concede and I don't see them responding well to going behind; if we don't sneak a set piece lead out of nowhere I just can't see us winning. At least for the first time this season we won't have to suffer McGinty in defence, so clean sheets are more likely on that basis.

I think Airdrie could be the winners of these Play Offs. They are a horrible team to play against, a bit like a lesser version of the Livingston team that got out the Championship through the play offs a few years back. They are actually the form team in Div 1. 

Montrose play the best football of the three Div 1 sides, they play the ball well through midfield and down the left side, but the guy McLean up front is hopeless. 

Cove have the best finisher in Megginson and they can lay the boot in a fair bit.

Morton. They need to be switched on and up for it from the off or they could come a cropper to any of the three.

Even as a Montrose fan I always thought Russell McLean was hopeless but he seems to have popped up with goals and assists at vital times this season. His numbers are also better then they appear if you break it down into minutes played rather than just appearances.

Agree that Airdrie will be favourites overall but I think we'll beat Morton and give it a good go in the final.

Having seen all 3 L1 clubs I'd have cove as favourites. Solid through the middle and creative up front with a proper finisher in megginson. He would fit in premiers lower sides. He doesn't need a few chances to get his eye in so needs robustly marked.

Thereafter there is not much between Montrose and airdrie. Both keep opposition chances to a minimum and when airdrie click up front they are a threat. I was impressed with Montrose all three games, and by way of creating chances have a slight edge on  airdrie.

I've not seen ton this season but have 2 mates who are ST holders and have been watching religiously, McGinty can be a complete catastrofuck just as he was at Thistle, and am told they are quite stuttering in games. You'd think Morton should be strong enough defensively and creatively at this level to take this chance to save themselves by I can't see past cove. They play with a hunger and desire that usually sees teams through these play offs. They remind me of Livingstone when they put us down from the premier. I think they will be the main threat to Morton.

Disappointed that both games are on at the same time so can't watch both. 

15 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

No thread for this less than 24 hours before the first leg tells you everything you need to know...

As bad as we’ve been, the play-offs are a stand-alone opportunity to make the season so far irrelevant.

I’d like to see the following:

—————-McAdams—————-

—Ledger——McLean——Fjortoft—

Hynes———-Jacobs———-Strapp

———-McGinn———Lyon———-

——————Nesbitt——————

——————-Oliver——————-

[Colville and McGuffie from the bench]

If we can’t beat Montrose over two legs (no disrespect intended), we’ll thoroughly deserve to go down.

I feel like that team would just repeat the mistakes from when we played East Fife. We couldn't play out, we couldn't get possession further up the park, and our wing backs were squeezed out of the game. 

If we were to go to 3 at the back, it should be with Nesbitt and Oliver playing behind Orsi or Muirhead. 

We're hopeless creatively regardless, but when we've played with a back three under various managers it’s made us somehow even more turgid in attack while also making us weaker defensively.

There's again a McGinty caveat here that it'll be better without him, but we're better off in every respect with a back four.

Our only win under McPherson has come with the back three. Get the wing-backs to provide the width, three in the middle to a. control possession; b. make sure we don’t get over-run. And Nesbitt is much better in a central/free position.

All of the above mentioned need to step up today.

If he does go with a four, it better not be 4-4-2. Muirhead, in particular, should be nowhere near this.

1-0 the Ton.

33 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We're hopeless creatively regardless, but when we've played with a back three under various managers it’s made us somehow even more turgid in attack while also making us weaker defensively.

There's again a McGinty caveat here that it'll be better without him, but we're better off in every respect with a back four.

I agree. The first game against QotS apart, it hasn't worked. I do think for it to have a chance to work it has to have the balance that the lineup had that day, but the back 4 makes far more sense. 

I would maybe bring in Lyon, Strapp, and Orsi for McGinn, McGinty, and McGuffie in a 4-4-2 diamond. To be clear, I think Orsi is woeful on the ball but he'd at least be a presence up that end. Otherwise I'd be satisfied with just Strapp coming in, and maybe Lyon. 

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Our only win under McPherson has come with the back three. Get the wing-backs to provide the width, three in the middle to a. control possession; b. make sure we don’t get over-run. And Nesbitt is much better in a central/free position.

All of the above mentioned need to step up today.

If he does go with a four, it better not be 4-4-2. Muirhead, in particular, should be nowhere near this.

1-0 the Ton.

I think you'd need at least McGuffie to start in that scenario. I think Jacobs' role is redundant when we play the back 3, and that has been a problem with it since the QotS win - he's just too deep in front of the the central defenders. McGuffie in for Jacobs, and maybe even Colville in for McGinn. Not my preference, but that could work.