Organised crime thread

5 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

If anyone wants a copy of the digger PM me your details and PayPal me the money for the postage and I’ll send it to you, think the actual magazine only costs £1.50 

Coming in at two quid now ,I mind when it was a pound  back in the day ,cost of living thread for this pish etc 

What a find! Used to read it when it occasionally came across my desk many years ago. I think it’s what I’d define as real journalism, maybe even more so these days. The chap/chapess is welcome to my 12m subscription and I’m equally sure I’ll get full vfm from it. Keep it up digger! 

bit more of a Gangs of Yore type post here...

Recently watched the BBC Scotland Documentary on the Ice Cream Wars.  No idea when it was first shown but as i live in England I tend to check up on stuff on BBC Scotland Iplayer every so often.

I'd heard of the Ice Cream Wars and obviously due to the slightly comedic name i probably had in my head some C*nts throwing Cornettos about.   I was 9 when it was all happening but even in later years didnt really know anything about it and assumed it was yer run of the mill turf war.

Jeez...so had no idea about the torching of some poor guys flat in Ruchazie and pretty much wiping out an entire family, kids an all.  Plus the resulting police investigation and issues surrounding that.   Fascinating if not completely grim viewing.   Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.    Some great library footage of 1980s Glasgow which is always interesting to see how depressing it was - plus interview with Bill McFarlan - someone I'd completely forgot about!

52 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

bit more of a Gangs of Yore type post here...

Recently watched the BBC Scotland Documentary on the Ice Cream Wars.  No idea when it was first shown but as i live in England I tend to check up on stuff on BBC Scotland Iplayer every so often.

I'd heard of the Ice Cream Wars and obviously due to the slightly comedic name i probably had in my head some C*nts throwing Cornettos about.   I was 9 when it was all happening but even in later years didnt really know anything about it and assumed it was yer run of the mill turf war.

Jeez...so had no idea about the torching of some poor guys flat in Ruchazie and pretty much wiping out an entire family, kids an all.  Plus the resulting police investigation and issues surrounding that.   Fascinating if not completely grim viewing.   Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.    Some great library footage of 1980s Glasgow which is always interesting to see how depressing it was - plus interview with Bill McFarlan - someone I'd completely forgot about!

Highlight was a young Jim White interviewing the detective in charge of the case

One of the recent attacks in Edinburgh saw a man lose a hand and suffer life changing injuries due to mistaken identity. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/innocent-dad-hand-chopped-machete-29159414?int_source=nba

Shocking story, hopefully the police catch the perpetrators quickly before anyone else gets hurt.

On 02/02/2023 at 16:21, Shotgun said:

If I l recall, Bill Forsyth made a film with the Ice Cream Wars as a backdrop. A kind of “Local Hero” type Rom-Com. 

Right after it was released, the shit got serious in real life. 

On 02/02/2023 at 16:45, Florentine_Pogen said:

Comfort & Joy.

Was on BBC Scotland at the weekend but I caught it on iPlayer a couple of days ago. Enjoyable stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Targeted doorstep shooting sees a man die in Greenock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-64814486

Some excellent reporting and police work on the Glasgow Live report

Police are treated the death as 'suspicious' and have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

Guy gets shot multiple times on his doorstep, sounds 'suspicious' to me!

Apparently this guy has been targeted before.  His family were in the house when he was murdered, awful.

I struggle with a lot of these. Numerous quotes about how it's terrible for the friends and family and other such trite shite. My sympathy is limited as my memory drifts back to protesting my innocence in the Heid's office only to be met with the 'caught wi' the craws'.

Nothing about the family of numerous kids blown apart by the actions of these mutants.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/08/2022 at 09:18, ICTChris said:

Also, it isn't Scotland but the tragic death of a nine year old girl in Liverpool in a shooting shows the impact organised crime can have.  She was shot when a man fleeing a gunman ran into her house.  The targeted man, who was also shot, is a convicted drug dealer and is being questioned in hospital.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65088182

Thomas Cashman convicted of murdering Olivia Pratt-Korbell.  An ex-girlfriend testified against him and will have to go into witness protection.  The police have said that they had difficulty obtaining testimony as locals were so scared of Cashman.

Verdict is 15 years to the day since 11 year old Rhys Jones was shot in a similar manner in Croxeth.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Thomas Cashman convicted of murdering Olivia Pratt-Korbell.  An ex-girlfriend testified against him and will have to go into witness protection.  The police have said that they had difficulty obtaining testimony as locals were so scared of Cashman.

Verdict is 15 years to the day since 11 year old Rhys Jones was shot in a similar manner in Croxeth.

Good C4 news piece on it, didn't catch the beginning so C4+1 it is.

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Daft thought. Getaway driver was found guilty in October of driving Cashman away from scene. How would that have stood up if Cashman had been found not guilty ?

9 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Daft thought. Getaway driver was found guilty in October of driving Cashman away from scene. How would that have stood up if Cashman had been found not guilty ?

He plead guilty.

44 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

This is the law, we’ll have none of this daft talk about correct verdicts and all. We put the bad’uns away, period…the crimes (or lack of them) are irrelevant, as is their actual guilt.