Organised crime thread

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think anyone is meant to buy it. It's for the polis to find.

Probably read too much Rebus and Harry Hole but that was my take on it as well. Boys been done up like a kipper but wise enough to keep his mouth shut. Wonder just how big a bung he was given.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lanarkshire/joiner-caught-450k-cocaine-after-25518383

£450k worth of cocaine and Police Scotland manage to arrest a 23 year old joiner and no one else.

Catching low hanging fruit is what the war on drugs achieves.   Nothing has ever been implemented that actually makes an impact on the availability of drugs to the public.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

28% purity is barking. Who is buying that, you would be as well saving your money and snorting talc.

Isn’t 28% quite high? I’m sure I’ve read that what police take from users is often less than 5%

Just now, parsforlife said:

Catching low hanging fruit is what the war on drugs achieves.   Nothing has ever been implemented that actually makes an impact on the availability of drugs to the public.

Isn’t 28% quite high? I’m sure I’ve read that what police take from users is often less than 5%

28% would have been high 15 years ago but purity has went through the roof.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I've never taken it but surely the buzz can't be that good if your snorting 95% flour, baking soda, misc white power otherwise a batch of good stuff would blast your heart.

You would hope he can give them info about stopping the flow but as other say he's probably very low level.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

I've never taken it but surely the buzz can't be that good if your snorting 95% flour, baking soda, misc white power otherwise a batch of good stuff would blast your heart.

You would hope he can give them info about stopping the flow but as other say he's probably very low level.

I suspect the cock and bull story he's already given will be the extent of his contribution.

When he got back to Scotland someone took the van off him but they aren't named in the story and don't seem to have been charged despite the fact that they must have had possession of the van when the police searched it.

Hopefully the boy gets out in a couple of years and has learned his lesson.

Edited by Detournement

36 minutes ago, Detournement said:

28% would have been high 15 years ago but purity has went through the roof.

Aye, I’ve done a quick google and 28% would be the low end of typical street purity now,  would suggest what the guy had was ready to sell,  which seems odd for the value.

5% is still normal for speed tho! 

@101 this guy is absolutely low level,  he’s going to do some prison time and will be likely given a backhander to keep quite(with a doing to him/his family being the alternative obviously)

With the 2nd driver being unnamed/not charged I guess the police are hoping he’ll be the one to lead them to bigger fish, either through grassing or making a mistake.

FWIW even if the guys 2/3 stages above get caught the impact on street use will be easily forgotten.  Nevermind the guy making a few hundred punting in nightclubs or those making a few thousand driving around the UK.  Even the ‘big guys’ in Scotland making millions are complete nobodies to the leaders of drug dealing.   These guys are so easily replaced,  putting a handful in jail will never change anything.

Edited by parsforlife

55 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

FWIW even if the guys 2/3 stages above get caught the impact on street use will be easily forgotten.  Nevermind the guy making a few hundred punting in nightclubs or those making a few thousand driving around the UK.  Even the ‘big guys’ in Scotland making millions are complete nobodies to the leaders of drug dealing.   These guys are so easily replaced,  putting a handful in jail will never change anything.

Might give their communities in Scotland a short break from their predatory behaviour but completely agree long term legalisation and tight inspection on legit industry linked to organised crime is the only way to crack down on these people.

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

Might give their communities in Scotland a short break from their predatory behaviour but completely agree long term legalisation and tight inspection on legit industry linked to organised crime is the only way to crack down on these people.

That break is ridiculously short, indeed I doubt one guy is even in the dock before his replacement is up and running.

Looking out for laundering through so called ligit business Is a positive but again makes little impact long term.  We’ve been at this for 50 years,  it should be clear jailing wrong un’s doesn’t work. There’s always another to replace them

Best way to destroy scummy dealers is to take away their income.  Legalise.

On 19/11/2021 at 12:45, Shandon Par said:

That mentalist who accused me of going to Napier might attack me with a sword outside Waitrose one day. 

To paraphrase a Chinese proverb all he has to do is wait patiently by a ladder and your body will soon plummet by...

6 hours ago, Detournement said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lanarkshire/joiner-caught-450k-cocaine-after-25518383

£450k worth of cocaine and Police Scotland manage to arrest a 23 year old joiner and no one else.

There was quite the spate of these finds (vans etc being picked up on M74) dating back to when the criminals didn’t know the police had worked out how to read the encrypted messages. 

9 hours ago, 101 said:

You're not snorting flour though. You're snorting stimulants like creatine mixed with Benzocaine and Lidocaine to give the numbing feeling. 

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There was quite the spate of these finds (vans etc being picked up on M74) dating back to when the criminals didn’t know the police had worked out how to read the encrypted messages. 

This is prime example of a boy being handed to the police by those higher up. 

10 hours ago, supermik said:

Should hang the scum fuckers. Drugs are for mugs. Any c**t that wants to defend them are just as bad. Ain’t big or clever.

People have been taking all kinds of substances to alter their minds/moods/reality since the beginning of time, there is probably a strong argument to be made that it is part of human nature. Thinking you can stop that is the bit that isn't clever, and is a big part of the reason there are so many problems associated with the trade.

Just now, welshbairn said:

£450,000 seems an expensive way to get him banged up.

The total value of the illegal drugs market in Scotland was estimated a few years ago as being £1.4bn, so £450,000 is approximately 0.03% of the total market value.  It's about 11% of the total daily value of the market for illegal drugs.

My favourite version of what @Detournement  is talking about (criminals willingly giving up shipments to protect the bigger shipments) is when then Home Secretary Michael Howard's cousins were released a year into an 18 year sentence for turning 'supergrass' and telling the police about caches of firearms that they had previously planted. 

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My favourite version of what @Detournement  is talking about (criminals willingly giving up shipments to protect the bigger shipments) is when then Home Secretary Michael Howard's cousins were released a year into an 18 year sentence for turning 'supergrass' and telling the police about caches of firearms that they had previously planted. 

Don’t think John Haase was his cousin ,unless you aren’t talking about the Liverpool case ,think there  a connection about a bribe allegedly,as at the time he made a comment about it wasn’t his fault that he has to vist his family on a Sunday or something bizzare like that . I may be mistaking as have been working all night but .  

9 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Don’t think John Haase was his cousin ,unless you aren’t talking about the Liverpool case ,think there  a connection about a bribe allegedly,as at the time he made a comment about it wasn’t his fault that he has to vist his family on a Sunday or something bizzare like that . I may be mistaking as have been working all night but .  

I was sure it was a relative of Howard who was accused.  I might be misremembering also.

Edited to add - They weren't Howard's cousins but they were involved in drug dealing with a cousin of Howard.  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/nov/09/uk.drugsandalcohol

Edited by ICTChris