Organised crime thread

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I had a mate who used to go to Sweden as a touring musician a lot and ended up hanging out one night with some guys who he thought were just a bunch of guys who liked motorbikes. They kept telling him they were Hells Angels and ran the drug trade in Sweden but he just took the piss out of them because Sweden is such a friendly place with little crime. Think he believed they were just some guys who sold some weed on the side. When he telt the locals about his night on the sauce they were amazed he wasn't stabbd for ripping the pish out of them and that these guys genuinely are the top of the criminal food chain there.

Turns out it's the same in New Zealand. What is it about friendly countries with low crime rates that leads to Hells Angels running the show?

Maybe that those biker gangs, as mentioned above, like their locale to be peaceful and will act swiftly against anyone who pisses them off? Might well be that a gang's presence lowers the visible crime rate while that which they profit from goes on. 

Over the years, I've known a fair few Outlaws and a couple of Angels in various nicks. Well read blokes, most of them, and absolutely sound according to their moral code. A code which is different to society at large, but which allows for a decent life if followed. Their punishment for transgressions is swift and doesn't allow for appeals. One lad I used to swap recommendations with for music we'd discovered, and enjoyed political chat with - he was in under JE for murder with a thirty year tariff*, and wasn't too bothered - he was doing his bit for his biker "family", and was looked after financially while inside, as were his real family of wife and three kids on the out. A mindset I still can't really get my head round. 

*Parole eligibilty in around 2035.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Getting back on topic, I didn't realise that the brother of one of the witnesses against Orman in the murder trial had been assaulted.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thugs-carried-out-axe-attack-24069087

It’s odd how a phone call to the police can lead to a group of guys with axes turning up at your door, rather than the police. 

43 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

It’s odd how a phone call to the police can lead to a group of guys with axes turning up at your door, rather than the police. 

Makes you think that not only the Met have a corruption issue.

2 hours ago, Peter Grant said:

Just another reason for people to not trust the police, and not turn Mccabe. This isn't little Italy though and withess intimidation in Edinburgh just seems bizarre.

4 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Maybe that those biker gangs, as mentioned above, like their locale to be peaceful and will act swiftly against anyone who pisses them off? Might well be that a gang's presence lowers the visible crime rate while that which they profit from goes on. 

Over the years, I've known a fair few Outlaws and a couple of Angels in various nicks. Well read blokes, most of them, and absolutely sound according to their moral code. A code which is different to society at large, but which allows for a decent life if followed. Their punishment for transgressions is swift and doesn't allow for appeals. One lad I used to swap recommendations with for music we'd discovered, and enjoyed political chat with - he was in under JE for murder with a thirty year tariff*, and wasn't too bothered - he was doing his bit for his biker "family", and was looked after financially while inside, as were his real family of wife and three kids on the out. A mindset I still can't really get my head round. 

*Parole eligibilty in around 2035.

Did he get his motorbike in?

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

What is it about friendly countries with low crime rates that leads to Hells Angels running the show?

They ran the crystal meth trade in California until the Mexican gangs took it from them.

3 hours ago, Peter Grant said:

Sounds like one of the characters mentioned in the thread has become a little digitally challenged (and I don’t mean his WiFi is down). 

??? 

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

??? 

I don't think the character in question can quite put his finger(s) on what's happened.  Well, I think that's what PG is getting at..

When I lived in Denmark the place was run by the Hells Angels. The nicest chap I met in there was the twenty-three year-old Palestinian refugee I sold my flat to. He'd already served four years for kidnap and extortion.

People here bought into that whole Scandinavian utopia media craze of a few years back without even contemplating the existence of another side to the story. Pretty sad really.

On 07/05/2021 at 17:00, ICTChris said:

Sean Orman has been sentenced to life, with a minimum term of 28 years in prison for murder.  That seems lenient to me.  Murdering someone for money with a firearm in a public place in such a calculated way is an unspeakably serious crime.  

Orman had a long criminal record - he served five years in prison for armed robberies of bookmakers around the West of Edinburgh and was also caught during an armed robbery of a jewlery shop, although I don't think he was convicted there.  He was also sentenced to five years in prison for stabbing someone in a gang fight at the age of 17.

An EP of Vera Lynn singing "We'll meet again"?

Couple of things to mention on this thread:

1 - It’s all gone quiet now but what about those people who owned the Italian restaurant in Hamilton (I think) and it kept on getting firebombed? I think they said they had received some threats from gangsters.

2 - I read a couple of weeks ago that the FBI had created an app for criminals to use which criminals then did indeed start using to discuss their business https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-57394831.amp

PS - remember that female accountant who disappeared, presumed murdered , maybe 10 or so years ago? Something to do with money laundering. I hadn’t even looked at the case but after it went through the court a guy I was friendly with at the time reminded me that he knew one of the guys found guilty for it (think it was Largs or Weymss Bay, somewhere like that) and that we had been in his house a couple of times (not sure if that’s the same house where the lady was apparently held). 

Edited by Sortmeout

On 18/06/2021 at 03:03, DiegoDiego said:

When I lived in Denmark the place was run by the Hells Angels. The nicest chap I met in there was the twenty-three year-old Palestinian refugee I sold my flat to. He'd already served four years for kidnap and extortion.

People here bought into that whole Scandinavian utopia media craze of a few years back without even contemplating the existence of another side to the story. Pretty sad really.

But it is full of blonde ravers who I could disappoint, right? 

7 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

PS - remember that female accountant who disappeared, presumed murdered , maybe 10 or so years ago? Something to do with money laundering. I hadn’t even looked at the case but after it went through the court a guy I was friendly with at the time reminded me that he knew one of the guys found guilty for it (think it was Largs or Weymss Bay, somewhere like that) and that we had been in his house a couple of times (not sure if that’s the same house where the lady was apparently held). 

I remember that, she was a one stop shop for money laundering for various criminals and had been pocketing their cash IIRC. Some questions about whether the police abandoned her to her fate, despite her acting as a police informant. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/655711/crime-spy-lynda-spence-was-left-to-her-fate-by-elite-squad/