Organised crime thread

36 minutes ago, Pato said:

It's weird how this stuff continues to simmer away in the background, but unless you're unforunate enough to have been doing your weekly shop whenever one of these guys gets gunned down in an Asda car park, you wouldn't really notice.

I agree the "higher ups" try not attract too much attention, but you can see the by products of their business regularly.

I always think any cash based/reliant business is likely to be involved in the chain somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I agree the "higher ups" try not attract too much attention, but you can see the by products of their business regularly.

I always think any cash based/reliant business is likely to be involved in the chain somewhere.

Maybe if you’re small fry. For big operators, one way could be to have a multinational boxing promotion company (Eg STW Promotions). You entice fighters away from other promoters by saying to them that you’ll charge them just 10% rather than the standard 15% (you may wish to use hand guns and machine guns in this process). To make it even sweeter, you quietly let the fighter know that they won’t actually be paying anything. That 10% of the fight purse mysteriously appears from somewhere else, into the coffers of the management company and the boxer keeps the full purse. 

If your fighter is, for example, a heavyweight world champion, you could wash £10million in his next fight alone. If you have a huge stable of fighters all in big prize fights, you could launder maybe 100s of millions of pounds. Handy if you’re a drug cartel than needs to clean that amount of cash. You could even start to offer your service to other cartels! 

This is what I’d do if I ran a drug cartel and any relation to real life events is purely coincidental. 

2 hours ago, supermik said:

Did the Gardners not shut down straight after the bar staff walked out mid shift when some local crooks arrived and demanded protection money from them?

I had a pint in the Gardener's once. Must have been ages ago because I remember it being smoky.

Rough and ready but not particularly menacing.

15 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Maybe if you’re small fry. For big operators, one way could be to have a multinational boxing promotion company (Eg STW Promotions). You entice fighters away from other promoters by saying to them that you’ll charge them just 10% rather than the standard 15% (you may wish to use hand guns and machine guns in this process). To make it even sweeter, you quietly let the fighter know that they won’t actually be paying anything. That 10% of the fight purse mysteriously appears from somewhere else, into the coffers of the management company and the boxer keeps the full purse. 

If your fighter is, for example, a heavyweight world champion, you could wash £10million in his next fight alone. If you have a huge stable of fighters all in big prize fights, you could launder maybe 100s of millions of pounds. Handy if you’re a drug cartel than needs to clean that amount of cash. You could even start to offer your service to other cartels! 

This is what I’d do if I ran a drug cartel and any relation to real life events is purely coincidental. 

I don't doubt it. I was meaning how they conduct themselves locally. There are exceptions but most don't want lifted for fighting or disputes with neighbours.

16 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

We used to get Eddie Lyons turning up with his tame Polis to buy stuff in the morning, the Daniel & McGovern mob would turn up in the afternoon to get their shopping for the Pub & Petrol Station. We were always shitting ourselves that one day they would turn up at the same time.

The gear linkage snapped on one of my old work van’s many years ago en route from Milngavie to Possil and ended up getting a tow to that garage at Lambhill. They were very helpful and fixed the gear linkage. 

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The gear linkage snapped on one of my old work van’s many years ago en route from Milngavie to Possil and ended up getting a tow to that garage at Lambhill. They were very helpful and fixed the gear linkage. 

That's the thing, if you didn't know their background you couldn't meet nicer people, they were always a great laugh.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just to point out, the standard of English in that article is absolutely shocking. Random sentences that don’t make any sense and littered with spelling mistakes. Does proof reading not happen in the media?

The Scotsman sacked all their sub editors about ten years ago to be replaced by a software template for articles, so no, not really. 

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Aye that's the model. Make money from drugs and invest it into legitimate businesses. 

The police will say drugs fund Bin Laden and shite like that as a distraction from the fact that it creates start up capital and liquidity for a fair proportion of provincial businesses. Drug dealers are allowed to operate because they are a fully integrated and vital part of the economy. 

Has it been reported if the police told Welsh he was at risk of being murdered after his killer was grassed up a month prior to the shooting?

Don't the government include money from Drugs and prostitution in the GDP predictions to beef up the total?

1 hour ago, Rasputin said:

Cough**Barry Hughes Football Agent*cough**

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't doubt it. I was meaning how they conduct themselves locally. There are exceptions but most don't want lifted for fighting or disputes with neighbours.

Some of the streets in some of the housing schemes in Dundee are much sought after due to low levels of anti-social behaviour and petty crime.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Oh yes - cash businesses like tanning salons and football clubs are attractive options for them. 

6 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Oh yes - cash businesses like tanning salons and football clubs are attractive options for them. 

Dessert shops, dog breeding and amazingly - the sale of avocado. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Dessert shops, dog breeding and amazingly - the sale of avocado. 

If tackling organised crime is going to hit avocado supplies then I’m quite happy for the police to turn a blind eye.

3 hours ago, Rasputin said:

The problem with that one is the ego of those invoilved usually but not always means they dont sit in the background where they would easily do as you say but they end up fronting it and the Polis will at some point fit them up even if they cant get them for anything

I said not always as the ones who dont front it most likely do very well

Edited by BigDoddyKane

For people thinking nonr of this affecrs them. A major Dundee drug dealer built a new house around my way and his architectural tastes are utterly appalling.

I never knew they achieved such high ranks in the armed forces.