Airdrieonians vs Cove Rangers - Playoff Semi

Draw was probably just about right on the balance of play - both sides started the game out well organised and weren’t giving much away. While the second half saw the game much more stretched, leading to good chances for both.

Cove made our keeper work more than we did theirs, but all were saves I’d expect Max Currie to make. They were unlucky in hitting the post but the game should have been over at 1-0 when Carrick missed the open goal to double our lead.

If you’d have offered me 1-1 pre-match, I’d have bit your hand off for it, as I know how tough a place Cove is to go. Ian Murray obviously felt the same, going by his first two changes, which were all about steadying the ship I think. Although I still despair as to why he thinks Jack McKay is a better shout than, well...anyone.

Tuesday will be another tough game, but it’s basically 0-0, we’re at home and have got a draw from a tough venue without playing anywhere near our best. Here’s hoping we can step it up and push through to the final!

32 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Said all season Airdrie were the best side we played. They are on a roll now and I think they will go up

Solid defensively and the signing in March of Kyle Turner has clearly made a massive difference.

1 hour ago, thediamonddude said:

Draw was probably just about right on the balance of play - both sides started the game out well organised and weren’t giving much away. While the second half saw the game much more stretched, leading to good chances for both.

Cove made our keeper work more than we did theirs, but all were saves I’d expect Max Currie to make. They were unlucky in hitting the post but the game should have been over at 1-0 when Carrick missed the open goal to double our lead.

If you’d have offered me 1-1 pre-match, I’d have bit your hand off for it, as I know how tough a place Cove is to go. Ian Murray obviously felt the same, going by his first two changes, which were all about steadying the ship I think. Although I still despair as to why he thinks Jack McKay is a better shout than, well...anyone.

Tuesday will be another tough game, but it’s basically 0-0, we’re at home and have got a draw from a tough venue without playing anywhere near our best. Here’s hoping we can step it up and push through to the final!

Was fairly even throughout. 2nd half was stretched and a few more chances made. The wind made it difficult for Airdrie to get out.

It's now got a cup final feel. With no crowds and it poised evenly at 1-1 I'm not sure how valuable home advantage will be. The first goal on Tuesday will be huge. 

Mitch is now due a goal as he hasn't scored in his last 2 games.

The BBC have very strangely described McIntosh's equaliser as "sparing Cove's blushes". As though losing to a team that finished two points above them would've been an embarrassment.

Edited by FifeSons

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

The BBC have very strangely described McIntosh's equaliser as "sparing Cove's blushes". As though losing to a team that finished two points above them would've been an embarrassment.

That's badly worded! Maybe meant it more like kept them in the tie or redeemed the own goal.

Clearly both sides are balanced in ability

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

That's badly worded! Maybe meant it more like kept them in the tie or redeemed the own goal.

Clearly both sides are balanced in ability

More likely that the BBC just don't have a clue about our diddy leagues!

I'd have taken a draw before the game albeit it's a bit disappointing not to have won given we took the lead and Carrick's miss. All to play for on Tuesday where I'm expecting another tight affair. We struggled to get a foothold going forward at times, not helped by the wind, but I thought our defence were excellent and dealt with everything Cove threw them at really well. A draw was the fairest result over the piece. Both teams are so evenly matched. Wouldn't like to call how it will go on Tuesday.  

It was interesting to hear that Masson had scored all Cove's goals against us so after such a poor goalscoring season, how on earth did Leighton McIntosh score today? Cove have very good inter passing and we did cope with it but an equaliser did look likely after Carrick's unusually distracted miss. There were bits in the first half where Connell just never linked with Gallagher, and maybe that's why w enever threatened on the counter.  McCann provided good width but we were quite defensive on the right, and bringing on Jack McKay when Thomson  might have got us on the break against the wind, seemed a better move.  Bit more pace needed on Tuesday and still need to track Megginson.  My takeaway curry hit the spot as well.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

It was two Chicken Tikka -one Achari , the lime pickly one, and what in Airdrie is called "Masaladar" -a kind of spicy sweet/sour with a chilli nip: and the usual rice/nan etc. I now realise I have been eating Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani curries since 1966 so I guess I am addicted. 

2 minutes ago, Utter Roaster said:

Sounds superb. Managed to get out with my boss yesterday lunchtime and had a very presentable lamb madras - not my usual - off the specials menu. I've missed that sort of thing way more than going to the pub to be honest.

As a retired guy I do tend to have the takeaways now but a Curry restaurant evening during my working life was a real treat. I would take Lamb in a restaurant as well but don't get in takeaways.  My first curry was in the Green Gates near Glasgow Uni in 1966 when the menu was just Chicken/Lamb Curry and the days of Tandoori/ fancy names lay in the future.  Been watching a bit of Rick Stein in India where most Indians don't recognise the "British" derived menus of today's "Indian" meals.  

30 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was interesting to hear that Masson had scored all Cove's goals against us so after such a poor goalscoring season, how on earth did Leighton McIntosh score today? Cove have very good inter passing and we did cope with it but an equaliser did look likely after Carrick's unusually distracted miss. There were bits in the first half where Connell just never linked with Gallagher, and maybe that's why w enever threatened on the counter.  McCann provided good width but we were quite defensive on the right, and bringing on Jack McKay when Thomson  might have got us on the break against the wind, seemed a better move.  Bit more pace needed on Tuesday and still need to track Megginson.  My takeaway curry hit the spot as well.

Masson and especially Harry Milne are a massive losses for Cove; it's our whole left side. Ngwenya and Leighton are very poor alternatives and our Achilles heal no doubt. Leighton -  I completely don't know why PH plays him each week. He frustrates the hell out of me every game with his poor first touch and lack of ability when he has the ball.

He scored a tap in today but I hope we start Connor Smith instead of him on Tuesday.

We weren't at our best today either but tried to pass and move. 

Hoping for a better performance in the 2nd leg. I feel Airdrie look threatening from long throws and corners more than open play; something we'll need to deal with. Although capable of scoring in open play too.

Airdrie will need to watch Mitch. So much to play for. Wish I could go!

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Aye two fairly evenly matched teams. Tuesday will be the same and wouldnt be surprised to see penalties. The thing about Airdrie lately is that even if they are not playing well they seem able to grind out results.

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

As a retired guy I do tend to have the takeaways now but a Curry restaurant evening during my working life was a real treat. I would take Lamb in a restaurant as well but don't get in takeaways.  My first curry was in the Green Gates near Glasgow Uni in 1966 when the menu was just Chicken/Lamb Curry and the days of Tandoori/ fancy names lay in the future.  Been watching a bit of Rick Stein in India where most Indians don't recognise the "British" derived menus of today's "Indian" meals.  

Funnily enough, I can't recall the last time I got lamb at a takeaway either. Bit spur of the minute this time, but was well worth it. Been having a go at making my own over the last 6 months - trying to replicate the BIR (British Indian Restaurant) style rather than homestyle following tips on Latif's Inspired and Al's Kitchen youtube channels. A bit of extra work but a couple of them have been belters.

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

Masson and especially Harry Milne are a massive losses for Cove; it's our whole left side. Ngwenya and Leighton are very poor alternatives and our Achilles heal no doubt. Leighton -  I completely don't know why PH plays him each week. He frustrates the hell out of me every game with his poor first touch and lack of ability when he has the ball.

He scored a tap in today but I hope we start Connor Smith instead of him on Tuesday.

We weren't at our best today either but tried to pass and move. 

Hoping for a better performance in the 2nd leg. I feel Airdrie look threatening from long throws and corners more than open play; something we'll need to deal with.

Airdrie will need to watch Mitch. So much to play for. Wish I could go!

Wish we could welcome you. McIntosh had a good season for us as a centre forward and most of us would have kept him but he wandered off to Wrexham for , quite rightly, more money--maybe wide left is not his place but can see why he would not oust Rory. As you say Mitch is a clever player and I would have someone getting in his face (legally)  We did rely on set pieces and Turner did not quite have the play linked up-I felt Carrick was often in his road - and we lacked a bit of pace out wide right. Good result for Montrose so nothing is decided yet.