Airdrieonians vs Cove Rangers - Playoff Semi

15 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Screenshot_20210511-212656.png

This was only for the league matches where a maximum five substitutes were allowed over three stoppages not including half time. The Connell substitution was allowed because he took a head knock and there is currently a concussion substitution rule being trialled across Scottish football. The rule allows a substitute to be made outwith the original three if a player takes a head knock, and when one team utilises the rule the opposition are allowed an additional sub as well, so Cove could also have made an extra sub. I've watched it back and you can see an elbow strike Connell (no reason to think it was anything other than accidental) on the back of the head and he looked in a bad way after the incident. Wish him, Paton and Kerr speedy recoveries and I hope Connell and Paton are available for the final. Looks like there's no chance of Kerr featuring who we really will miss.

This was only for the league matches where a maximum five substitutes were allowed over three stoppages not including half time. The Connell substitution was allowed because he took a head knock and there is currently a concussion substitution rule being trialled across Scottish football. The rule allows a substitute to be made outwith the original three if a player takes a head knock, and when one team utilises the rule the opposition are allowed an additional sub as well, so Cove could also have made an extra sub. I've watched it back and you can see an elbow strike Connell (no reason to think it was anything other than accidental) on the back of the head and he looked in a bad way after the incident. Wish him, Paton and Kerr speedy recoveries and I hope Connell and Paton are available for the final. Looks like there's no chance of Kerr featuring who we really will miss.
Aye, had this conversation already with another party who advised that the rule wasn't in place for the play offs. Mea culpa.

Re Connell, Ian Murray confirmed in the post match interview posted on usual social media that it had been concussion. I understand medical advice in such circumstances to be no playing for 7 to 10 days, which would rule him out, but don't know if there is a specific law of the game so it may come down to medical opinion.

On 12/05/2021 at 12:03, banditjag said:

Had to go back and find this post this morning. Called it dead right. Sounds w@nkish but football won in this tie. Some skill but loads of heart and fight and unequalled excitement. Shame there had to be a loser, 12 quid well spent. 

Hoping airdrie win through against the Morton.

Not often anyone goes back to my posts and it was so difficult to try to explain immediately how we won on the night, but you are right to say that it's as much about  "heart and fight"  as pretty possession stats. It was really exciting and I look forward to taking up my actual live seat on Tuesday. once I email my acceptance and dosh to the Club.

I remember listening to sportsound one evening walking my dog. They were discussing the imminent implementation of the premier and lower play offs, and I remember being astounded at such stupidity. Bar some other footballing backwater that had a play off, but was a bold move but many on the show thought it was bonkers and would bring ridicule to the Scottish game. Most agreed it was simply a tactic to appease the lower league cos they were losing an automatic play off. Principally the old div 1 and I remember Alan Preston in particular being very vocal that it was far too weighted towards the 2nd bottom of the then spl. Of course little was discussed about impact on L1 and 2.

What a pri@k am I, the play offs have become more and more exciting over the years. Perhaps it's because of covid and our being denied normal football but the airdrie v Morton final is the pick of them all, including the probable Dundee v killie. I usually root for the underdog, and despite many "scraps" with section b in the 70's and 80's and a historical rivalry between the B and the shed, I'm right behind airdrie. 🥶

Edited by banditjag