Airdrieonians vs Cove Rangers - Playoff Semi

Phew, that's not good for the old ticker.
Since you are only allowed to use 3 subs in the play-offs I take it that's why Connell had to stay on the park until the head knock which allowed Jack Mackay to come on as a concussion sub?
Making a substitution during half time does not count as one of the three.

4 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

I know it won’t feel like it right now mate, but you guys did yourselves proud and while it’ll feel like you bottled it - it was just a tie of fine margins. 

Whilst Megginson was undoubtedly a huge loss for you, I never felt comfortable having guys like McCallister around. And though McIntosh has had a poor season, I’d never rule a goal from him out and with quality like Fyvie, Scully and Yule, you never know.

Like I say, you’ll be right up there again next year - irrespective of how tough the division is.

Agreed, even if it's just based on reputation I always worry when Rory McAllister is up against us. That surely must affect players too, as everyone knows his record at this level, even if he isn't quite the same player these days. I thought Blair Yule was the best player over both games, really impressed by him. I agree on McIntosh too, based on his time at Airdrie he seems to score when you least expect him too while missing a load of great chances. Not good enough to start for a team chasing promotion but a very handy option off the bench. I reckon Cove will be right up there again next season, hopefully we won't be around to play them.

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I posted league goals per player on the park for Cove earlier in this thread. Astonishing if you look at it.

That was our chance tonight for promotion (or getting to final) and we absolutely BLEW it! Sucked the gas and went giddy. What was McKenzie doing coming for that ball 🙄 

Oh yeah every time we go in front since the league restart we were conceding within 10 minutes. Could see it coming a mile off. Pretty football to the box but no one that can run behind or a natural goalscorer (minus Mitch)

Seen it, not surprised to be honest I’ve been saying for ages we lack strength in depth. 1 win in 7 isn’t it? 

looking forward to getting back next season though 

Just now, Mybitchunderprotest said:
2 minutes ago, Caro-Kann said:
Phew, that's not good for the old ticker.
Since you are only allowed to use 3 subs in the play-offs I take it that's why Connell had to stay on the park until the head knock which allowed Jack Mackay to come on as a concussion sub?

Then why did they leave Connell on when he was clearly struggling to continue?

34 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agreed, even if it's just based on reputation I always worry when Rory McAllister is up against us. That surely must affect players too, as everyone knows his record at this level, even if he isn't quite the same player these days. I thought Blair Yule was the best player over both games, really impressed by him. I agree on McIntosh too, based on his time at Airdrie he seems to score when you least expect him too while missing a load of great chances. Not good enough to start for a team chasing promotion but a very handy option off the bench. I reckon Cove will be right up there again next season, hopefully we won't be around to play them.

Yule has an amazing engine, only Harry Milne our left back (injured currently) has more energy. Milne is a massive talent that will go very far. Yule does so much for the team and I'd start him each week but rarely does he ever have an assist or shot on target. He's not scored in 2 seasons since we entered the league - can't quite believe that myself.

Leighton is useless. Not rated at all by the Cove fans. He wouldn't be near the team if Masson wasn't injured. Hopefully we offload him so he can play for his 18th club in 12 years!!

Cheers, think you'll take Morton. Hopefully Paton is back for the legs 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

14 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

Seen it, not surprised to be honest I’ve been saying for ages we lack strength in depth. 1 win in 7 isn’t it? 

looking forward to getting back next season though 

We were 1 defeat in 12 league games before losing to Airdrie at Balmoral. Lots of draws in there from winning positions. I.e up with under 15 minutes to go.

Same looking forward to getting back too. We should post potential signings to PH directly or get Sheran to do recruitment

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yule has an amazing engine, only Harry Milne our left back (injured currently) has more energy. Milne is a massive talent that will go very far. Yule does so much for the team and I'd start him each week but rarely does he ever have an assist or shot on target. He's not scored in 2 seasons since we entered the league - can't quite believe that myself.

Leighton is useless. Don't rate at all by the Cove fans. He wouldn't get beat the team if Masson wasn't injured. Hopefully we offload him so he can play for his 18th club in 12 years!!

Cheers, think you'll take Morton. Hopefully Paton is back for the legs 

Thought Cove especially at the Penny Cars twice this season were the best footballing side by a mile, maybe the big wide park suits you,  in  both games we have rode the storm and fought back though....

Good luck next season looks a good league and harder than ever to get out..

It does count towards the number of substitutes if you make it at half time. I think your confusing this with the 5 sub rule but can only stop the game 3 times and half time doesn't count as a stoppage but the player still counts as a sub.

That's what I said.
The temporary amendment to the law didn't apply tonight as normal 3 sub rules for the playoffs plus additional 1 in extra time and also the concussion sub rule so making a sub at half time was irrelevant tonight.

I think it's only three subs for Championship games, so Kerr coming off at half-time didn't count as a stoppage in play but we couldn't sub Connell until he'd had a head injury, if he'd carried on as he was before that then we would have had to wait for extra-time to sub him. 

To conclude. Respect to Cove who were worthy adversaries.  Things can be so different in a few minutes. Why we "love fitba" perhaps.

Play offs have been our nemesis. The Gaelic phrase you would never hear translates as  " so that's Airdrie through!"

We may still play you next season. I want to visit your ground if nothing else.

Every game I've seen against Cove this season (I missed our recent 2-0 win) they have been the better footballing side in the sense that they have more possession and build up attacks. However in all of those games I can't really remember them creating many chances with the extra possession, the best chance that went begging last night was Fordyce's header with an open goal, and on Saturday it was Carrick missing virtually an open goal. We are more aggresive and direct, and Cove are a better passing side, however the end result, as shown by the league table and our play-off, is that there is nothing between the sides. Last night showed how important it is that we go up this year as next year's league will be very strong - Queen's Park, Cove, Falkirk, Airdrie/Morton, Montrose. Getting out of that league in the next 2 or 3 years is going to be a nightmare.

We were pretty poor last night compared with recent weeks. The difference with us now is that we have developed a style where we can play poorly and still get results, in recent seasons this was never the case. Turner having to play deeper is a real issue for us as he links midfield to attack in a way that Carrick isn't capable of. If we are going to beat Morton we have to sort out how our midfield is going to work without Paton. Ritchie is fine alongside Paton but looks a bit lost without him, Turner isn't as effective deeper and Carrick offers nothing in midfield. Not really sure of the answer but hopefully Murray can work on something this week once we know whether Paton will make it. Maybe Sabatini could be brought in but bringing him in out the cold in what will be a tough, physical game might have issues.

Hopefully we can go up, but regardless the last few weeks have hopefully shown the kind of side that Murray could/would build if he was given the freedom to build his own squad next season, which makes me a bit more optimistic about the future.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

14 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

We have been dire and as I was about to say that defeat was deserved , along came a duff goalie and the wonderful jack Mckay. How we have managed to be still in against a better footballing team, has me puzzled but relieved. This is going to the fittest team .

Had to go back and find this post this morning. Called it dead right. Sounds w@nkish but football won in this tie. Some skill but loads of heart and fight and unequalled excitement. Shame there had to be a loser, 12 quid well spent. 

Hoping airdrie win through against the Morton.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Maybe Sabatini could be brought in but bringing him in out the cold in what will be a tough, physical game might have issues.

Is he even still here? Hasn't been on the bench the last couple of games i think?

Not sure why Murray doesn't rate him tbh.