Airdrieonians vs Cove Rangers - Playoff Semi

35 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

We have been dire and as I was about to say that defeat was deserved , along came a duff goalie and the wonderful jack Mckay. How we have managed to be still in against a better footballing team, has me puzzled but relieved. This is going to the fittest team .

Indeed it was and that rain had me singing! Tuesday night does it again. And Paul Hartley gets a red! Off to learn Gaelic. What a sweat and maybe needs a night's rest to think how we did it. 

1 minute ago, Vodka Vic said:

Great result for Airdrie, seem to dig in even when not playing well. Can see them finishing the job. Good luck lads

Absolutely spot on and kinda where I was going earlier - we’ve not been great over the two legs but we’re so hard working and dedicated, I don’t feel you can write us off.

Yes, we can play better football, but it doesn’t matter at this stage in the season.

That said, huge congratulations to Cove for their performance throughout the season and in the playoffs - great club that will be there or there abouts again next season.

Just now, thediamonddude said:

Absolutely spot on and kinda where I was going earlier - we’ve not been great over the two legs but we’re so hard working and dedicated, I don’t feel you can write us off.

Yes, we can play better football, but it doesn’t matter at this stage in the season.

That said, huge congratulations to Cove for their performance throughout the season and in the playoffs - great club that will be there or there abouts again next season.

Need another striker and some bottle next time around!

In the games we have played cove I have to say the have looked to be honest better than us.   Delighted to get past a very good side.   If they can keep that team together next season they can definitely go a step further.  

Cove will feel that was harsh, they were undoubtedly the better team in the 90 minutes tonight and the better team over both legs, but they never created that many chances for all the possession they had in either game. They've consistently been the best side we've played this season though, so delighted to see us getting through such a tough game.

I felt very deflated when McAllister scored, I'd pretty much accepted that was it for another season, but fair play to the team for bouncing back with that late goal and then going on to win it. This team wouldn't have done that six or seven weeks ago but they seem to have enough character and belief to dig out wins even when we're playing poorly.

Well done boys. Hat off to Ian Murray - Thomson for Carrick - the manager wasn't thinking of penalties. He wanted to win the game. And Thomson exploited that tired Cove defence.  Well done to Gal and to Jack McKay too. Finally, hope young Kyle Connell is ok. Great team effort boys. Away to calm myself down.

1 minute ago, Ballboy said:

In the games we have played cove I have to say the have looked to be honest better than us.   Delighted to get past a very good side.   If they can keep that team together next season they can definitely go a step further.  

Hartley has had some duff signings to be fair; Broque, Leighton to name a few and we sorely missed Masson and especially Harry Milne getting injured in March.

If we can get just a couple of decent additions we could be a threat for automatic promotion next season. Frustrating as another year to get to this point but we're new into the SPFL and can't expect everything at once. Learning curve hopefully

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Cove will feel that was harsh, they were undoubtedly the better team in the 90 minutes tonight and the better team over both legs, but they never created that many chances for all the possession they had in either game. They've consistently been the best side we've played this season though, so delighted to see us getting through such a tough game.

I felt very deflated when McAllister scored, I'd pretty much accepted that was it for another season, but fair play to the team for bouncing back with that late goal and then going on to win it. This team wouldn't have done that six or seven weeks ago but they seem to have enough character and belief to dig out wins even when we're playing poorly.

Our reliance on Mitch is insane but he can link play, create space, have a magical moment and score with half a chance. Our chances of winning the match diminished massively when he went off. Hartley and the club must have known we were one decent striker short at the start of the season but never actioned.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I felt Hartley set up cove well. and it exploited our weaknesses, set up in a wide formation giving Fyvie acres of space,  with Paton  carted early on, it left Ritchie exposed and it was sore to watch,  Cove well on top.... Airdrie dug in and played there game which is not for the purists,

Thought as the game went on Airdrie shaded it,  Gallagher had 2 great strikers finishes,   

To be fair I thought it was a penalty,  that decision makes up for McAllister s elbow on Kerr at half time...  Karma

3 minutes ago, diamondman said:

McAllister did little in the game and showed his petulant side again. Inadequate ref did not deal with it though.

Yeah Rory's on his arse to be fair. He's aging, slow and a box player. Impressed he did score tonight as never saw it coming to be fair. Need a much better replacement for him next season

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hartley has had some duff signings to be fair; Broque, Leighton to name a few and we sorely missed Masson and especially Harry Milne getting injured in March.

If we can get just a couple of decent additions we could be a threat for automatic promotion next season. Frustrating as another year to get to this point but we're new into the SPFL and can't expect everything at once. Learning curve hopefully

Agreed

we need to sign quality players instead of quantity for next season. we look a good team but we’ve had 17 shots tonight, 4 on target and that’s a big problem! 
good effort over the season but o seen this coming 

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I know it won’t feel like it right now mate, but you guys did yourselves proud and while it’ll feel like you bottled it - it was just a tie of fine margins. 

Whilst Megginson was undoubtedly a huge loss for you, I never felt comfortable having guys like McCallister around. And though McIntosh has had a poor season, I’d never rule a goal from him out and with quality like Fyvie, Scully and Yule, you never know.

Like I say, you’ll be right up there again next year - irrespective of how tough the division is.

8 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

Agreed

we need to sign quality players instead of quantity for next season. we look a good team but we’ve had 17 shots tonight, 4 on target and that’s a big problem! 
good effort over the season but o seen this coming 

I posted league goals per player on the park for Cove earlier in this thread. Astonishing if you look at it.

That was our chance tonight for promotion (or getting to final) and we absolutely BLEW it! Sucked the gas and went giddy. What was McKenzie doing coming for that ball 🙄 

Oh yeah every time we go in front since the league restart we were conceding within 10 minutes. Could see it coming a mile off. Pretty football to the box but no one that can run behind or a natural goalscorer (minus Mitch)

Makes you wonder do you keep playing 3 of our 4 midfielders who don't score EVER!? With 2 top quality strikers yes but for me we are crying out for an attacking central mid. Granted not easy to find but we need some goals from midfield. Bet we had the least midfielder goals in the whole league. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Phew, that's not good for the old ticker.
Since you are only allowed to use 3 subs in the play-offs I take it that's why Connell had to stay on the park until the head knock which allowed Jack Mackay to come on as a concussion sub?